Forums Latest Members

After JLC, Panerai and IWC introduce 8 years warranty

1. AJwala Nov 29, 2019

Hi all
    I just registered my watches for the 8 years warranty. It's a big value add for customers I believe. I personally am very happy!
    I think they are slowly rolling out this feature for all Richemont brand. Making them stand out.
    What do the members in the forum think? How advantages is it for customers and how does it help the brand?
    Regards
    AJ

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Nov 29, 2019

You give them your data and accept they will use it for (whatever) marketing purposes and you get a warranty extension in exchange.
    I am not sure I want whoever to precisely keep track of the watches I have, even if I get a warranty extension in exchange. You'll never know how the data is processed, stored, shared... etc.

On one hand, my feeling is that even 8 years is not a big risk for those companies. Most of the watches they sell will not get back during that period anyway.

On the other hand, it's a smart move to somehow counter flipping and grey market. I like and support the idea.

Wryfox likes this.
  3. yvrclimber Nov 29, 2019

Seems like a fair trade to me. I'm going to register my IWC Petit Prince Rattrapante. Hassle free ownership would be worth some marketing for me.

How would it work if I were to sell my watch before the 8 years. Do they allow a transfer of ownership (assuming you've research it a bit already)?

4. Martin_J_N Nov 29, 2019

I understand that Cartier will be joining the 8 year guarantee club early in 2020, anything that increases the warranty period is fine by me. My Rolex is covered for 10 years (5 by Rolex 5 by Watches of Switzerland), my Speedmaster for 5 years. For complex mechanical movements I think that a guarantee above 2 years is great, I wonder if Rolex and Omega will follow suit.

To stop unwanted calls and e-mails I use a junk e-mail address when completing a marketing data form along with an old phone number I have but never use, this reduces the amount of junk mail and cold calls that I receive as the phone is never turned on and the junk e-mail account is emptied once a month. Genuine requests get my real phone number and e-mail address.

5. Donn Chambers Nov 29, 2019

Martin_J_N likes this.
  6. Martin_J_N Nov 29, 2019

7. Evitzee Nov 29, 2019

If a new watch is going to have a problem it's going to be within the first year or two, so this probably isn't going to cost them too much. Good gesture that might convince a few waverers who need a slight push to get over the finish line at the dealer or boutique.

kkt and ConElPueblo like this.
  8. AJwala Nov 30, 2019

Yes indeed the registration is hassle free. For my Reverso I had to send a picture of a warranty card.

Though I bought the watch from a friend, I was the first to register that's why I got the entire warranty extension. But not quite sure how transfer of ownership would work.

For the JLC they have offered 1 free servicing but it's not the same case with my Panerai I registered for the extension. Panerai doesn't offer a free servicing.

I had visited Zenith store in Dubai mall. They offered store extended warranty which would be claimed at any retailer in the world, also offered a free servicing at any Zenith store in the world. But the difference in boutique price and after market price is too much which doesn't provide any additional incentive to buy at the boutique at a much higher price.

Also something is noticed: FOR PANERAI, I got the 8 years warranty from the date I registered, not from the date of purchase. SO MY DEAR FORUM MEMBERS, you can register your watches after a few months, just before your old 2 year warranty is about to expire so that you effective get 10 years warranty.
    But for JLC, I got 8 years warranty (after registration) from the date it was purchased!

yvrclimber likes this.
  9. Martin_J_N Nov 30, 2019

I'm all for extended warranties, it wasn't that long ago that 2 years became the standard, then 5 years and now companies are offering 8 years and if you buy your Rolex from Watches of Switzerland a 10 year warranty.

All of this is great for the consumer, when you are spending a sizeable amount of your hard earned money on an outdated concoction of springs, levers, wheels and cogs, held together by a few screws, placed in a case of various materials, having delicate hands attached, a crystal cover put on top to allow us to view the time and protect the hands, before placing the completed timepiece to our wrist only for it then to be flung around in every direction as we go about our daily chores, it will take the occasional bump and scrape, through all of this we the owner will expect the watch to maintain a timing accuracy of a few seconds faster or slower than an atomic clock.

When you consider what we put these mechanical marvels through, that they continue to work at all is astounding, to be given a guarantee in any form is surprising, to be able to get one that cover you for up to 10 years is amazing. What this does show is that irrespective of the brand that you buy, the watch you are buying brand new from your AD is very much a purchase designed to last you a very long time.

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 30, 2019

Marketing ploy to have you service through them and take business from independent watchmakers who are quite capable of servicing your watch.

How does the warranty stand up if you don’t use them for your two yearly seals change and pressure test on a diver or the 5 yearly service. ::confused2::

Eve and Martin_J_N like this.
  11. Martin_J_N Nov 30, 2019

Valid questions, from my perspective I don't know any independent watch makers, I have two older watches, 1 x Longines from 2005 and a 2010 Seamaster diver, both have only received 1 service each and that was done this year. I should have had the seals tested but haven't and to be honest I didn't really think about this aspect of ownership. I only started to comprehend what was involved in owning good timepieces after buying my Speedmaster this year, the Omega guys were horrified that the Seamaster hadn't been touched since I bought it, they explained what was involved and the need to get watches serviced. So Omega and Longines got my business to service the watches.

If I have to send my watch to the OEM for a periodic check and occasional service then I am happy to do that if it gives me a long term warranty.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 30, 2019

@Martin_J_N New watches it’s ok to use the brands service centre.
    But with older watches it is a different story.

Once all the independent watchmakers are gone it makes it hard for all the vintage watches to be serviced.

You have heard all the horror stories of Omega servicing vintage watches and changing hands and polishing which wipes a large amount of the value off a watch.

Even Omega only guarantees parts for 25 years.

I myself would like the choice of who services my watches be it independent or a brands service centre.

Martin_J_N likes this.
  13. JH225 Nov 30, 2019

Is a requirement that the watch be serviced at certain intervals to receive the extended warranty period?

Reason I ask is that if this is the case, giving an extended warranty period is a moneymaker for the brands. If you want the warranty, you not only have to service thru us, but at certain times also.

So, marketing/money making ploy or good for the end user?

14. Bushido Nov 30, 2019

At least for Panerai, there is no requirement that you have to have periodic servicing in order to maintain the valid warranty. All that is required is that the timepiece still be within its original OEM warranty period, you type in serial number, and it will change over to the 8yr warranty. Super easy.

AJwala likes this.
  15. Martin_J_N Nov 30, 2019

Yes, I can see that if you have a vintage watch that only requires a mechanical service then probably the last place it needs to go is the OEM and an independent watchmaker is required.

STANDY likes this.
  16. yvrclimber Dec 2, 2019

Wow, great strategy on the Panerai extension. 10 years is impressive.

The included service on JLC is worthwhile - regularly scheduled service of my JLC Master Compressor Chronograph, sent back to JLC in Switzerland, cost me over CAD$900.