Forums Latest Members
  1. CharlieB May 14, 2014

I want to buy a vintage Omega. I suspect it'll be one of the Seamasters. My maximum amount will be around $500 - not much, but it'll be a start.

So, I have seen quite a number of Seamaster watches on Ebay. What should I look for in an Omega Seamaster within my price range?

I do not want quartz, so I suppose that the automatic will be a little cheaper?

What about the ones labelled "cosmic?"

I have also noticed some with engraved seamonster cased, others are much plainer. What's the deal with these?

Any advise will be appreciated.
    Charlie

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 14, 2014

Usually Cosmic is less desirable than the Seamaster only.
    Automatic will always be command higher price for similar model and condition compare to quartz.
    Most Seamasters have hippocampus logo in the back, mostly applied rather than engraved. Few exceptions are really early models and front loading types.

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 14, 2014

You may get one at your budget, but I advise you to loosen your budget a bit and find better condition specimen with good provenance (e.g history of last service etc.)

4. dan7800 May 14, 2014

What do you want to wear it for? Is it a dressier watch? More of an everyday one?

5. bigdubnick May 14, 2014

This cosmic popped up on the forums recommended auction thread a couple of days ago. Will admit that the poster hadn't fully vetted, so you may want to ask the experts if it checks.

I inquired with the seller what the reserve price is and it is $660. Might want to email them if it checks out and see if you can haggle a bit to get the buy it now down to that price.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=261476797089Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. CharlieB May 14, 2014

I want it for an everyday watch. Ultimately, I want a second dressier watch, and for that I'll need to save a couple of grand.

Charlie

7. dan7800 May 14, 2014

As a cosmic owner, I love it. Probably the best value. A style that never goes out of style. I think you can get a decent cosmic for 400-600 on Ebay. However, it is not a particularly rugged watch IMHO