Forums Latest Members

Advices on buying outside of OF

1. YYTIN Apr 7, 2021

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure I've read many articles here about this but can't put my hands on them now.

I've been looking for a while about a black polerouter, twisted lugs, microrotor.
    I've found one on chronocentric. All sounds legit : have done the checks on numbers, dials, movement type (either reading the superb articles here mainly on the dial, as well as checking the reference tables and galleries of https://universalgenevepolerouter.com etc).
    We even agreed on a fair price.

I just have to pay now :)
    So far I have only bought watch here, on C24. The more extreme I've been doing was to buy on IG but with people with a good image to protect. Here it is different. Even though the seller sounds nice & I've seen his profile on LInkedin (but limited followers, and no picture).

Can you just remind me what you would recommend before actually sending money ?
    I think I have seen people requiring ID, some information linking the bank details to this ID ? I can't find back this info.

Thanks for sharing your view.

2. WatchCor Apr 7, 2021

Yeah, that's a tough one.

I don't think there's a surefire way of doing it in a way that would mitigate the scam risk to 0. There's always that possibility.

I would recommend exchanging ID's at least. Photo with the ID and the watch in the same pic. Additionally, asking for a specific time set to the watch in said photo. You could also talk on the phone (if you speak the same language). I would also consider doing a written agreement with the info on ID.

If something feels fishy or the seller starts giving excuses just run the other way.

Just my 2 cents...and my Polerouter

IMG_20210309_153515.jpg

Rudi99, wagudc and YYTIN like this.
  3. YYTIN Apr 7, 2021

And your pole router is a nicer example (the dial of the one I'm looking for is grayer and with some stars :)) but I have to start somewhere :)

4. Passover Apr 7, 2021

Did you check how long the seller had been active on Chronocentric/Chronotrader?

YYTIN likes this.
  5. YYTIN Apr 7, 2021

Not very long from what I can see : only 1 year.
    He has a longer history on eBay (since 2010 : 100%). I believe he went to Chronocentric to avoid eBay raising fees.

I've reached again to him asking for ID + Picture of the watch with specific time & ID + also a kind of proof of the bank account being attached to his ID.

For sure, it is easier to go through OF !

6. Braindrain Apr 7, 2021

Ask him what other forums he frequents (and sells on). It's rare for anyone to be only on CT. I just assume, if that's a case, it's likely a scam.

YYTIN likes this.
  7. SkunkPrince Apr 7, 2021

If he's from USA, he may not choose to share his account number. It's much less common here than it is in, for example, Europe.

YYTIN likes this.
  8. YYTIN Apr 7, 2021

Thanks,
    I finally checked the watch here (in UG part) and it appears to be a franken one :eek:

I'm glad that I came here before buying it. Even though I did some checking before ... I did this wrong :)

Thanks for the help ! And special thanks to @Passover who first alerted me on a potential frankenwatch.

Quite a jungle out there...

kkt, DaveK, RonJ and 1 other person like this.
  9. abgul Apr 10, 2021

Yep get as many references as possible. Previous sales posts. License etc.

YYTIN likes this.
  10. Dan S Apr 10, 2021

Unfortunately, chronocentric is probably the place that has the most scammers. Anyone can just create an account and throw a watch up for sale. I'm constantly finding watches listed with photos scraped from eBay, forum listings, etc. You really should request some custom photos to verify that he actually has the watch.

Scarecrow Boat and YYTIN like this.
  11. edwardnorton Apr 13, 2021

I have had some bad experiences while in the market for a new watch and thats why you gotta be careful! Not only can you get a fake watch from some sellers but you can get ripped off as well. Those two reasons alone are why I look for the most trusted seller online. Of course when I can get it from an authorized dealer thats the best. I found that one of my favorite dealers actually carries Omega so I am very excited. https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-b...es-large-collection-mens-models-for-sale.html "we are now expanding our operations to provide you the best and most transparent place to buy Omega watches." I am excited that I now have a go-to place for my watch collection. Where do you buy from if you dont mind me asking?

12. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 13, 2021

Chronotrader is the jungle of the jungle.
    I would say my rule number one, two and three:
    Never trust a total stranger with a wire transfer.
    The internet and Instagram have given some people a completely false sense of security.
    It’s not just a matter whether people are well known, I’ve seen well known people take advantage of people they thought were newbies and not in a position to defend themselves.

Once you’ve made sure the person has the watch in their possession, one way to make a transaction on a forum is to make a public call for references for the seller and also provide references of people who have dealt with you and know you.
    That way people are on notice a transaction is taking place and at least you’re getting a sense of that person’s standing.

I’ve only done it once — and it was on Chronotrader— but that was one of my best watch purchases of all, the seller came highly recommended and he also accepted Paypal.

Scarecrow Boat, YYTIN and vintage hab like this.
  13. abgul Apr 14, 2021

Echo everything here. You want to make sure you get proper references - super super important. Get identity proof of person. As the saying goes - buy the person.

14. YYTIN Apr 14, 2021

Thanks everyone for the advices. Yes I will apply all your advices for future purchases.
    And I've stopped looking in Chronocentric : too much risks / temptations with as you spotted very limited risk mitigation.

So far, I've been lucky in the watches I avoid purchasing (like this franken polerouter) and the ones I did really purchased (From a mix of OF, C24, a French forum and lately with some IGers, but with those I kind of refrain myself to spend 'big' (for me) money).

For the record, I found an interesting approach (but not in my price range) on Watchfid which is using some blockchain technology. I guess it will become some kind of standard : being able to track down watch ownership history... Not sure if I wish that but it makes sense.