Forums Latest Members
  1. gadssen83 Mar 8, 2018

Hi, I'm new to this hobby and tend to get my very first vintage watch after 2 months of research and studies. Seamaster D/D automatic 166.0216 cal.1020 would be my first choice at the moment.

Recently I come across this watch which I'm really interested in. Seller claims it's 100% original, circa 1982, movement was serviced last month and working very strong & keeping time, NOT repainted silver dial with original hands, Omega marked acrylic glass, original Omega signed crown, clean original SS bracelet. No box no papers. Overall condition very good. Selling at $625.

As a complete novice, I understand that I have to do some research myself.

- Serial number check, 45xxxxxx, it’s 1982 as described.
    - I avoid repainted/restored/refurbished dial, gold plated case or over-polished case. Though the watch looks been polished before, but I might be wrong, please advice.
    - Dial - looks mint and not repainted, but I might be wrong, please advice.
    - I’d talked to the seller, fast and detailed answers were given, feeling good.
    - Seller’s background checked - is having good rating, went through the reviews, nothing bad happens.
    - Service was done by their watchmaker last month, thus no receipt.
    - I understand this is not a highly collectible watch, and may not be the best movement of Omega, but I believe it’s the right watch for me to begin with. But highly appreciate if anyone of you have better recommendation.
    - The selling price is my main concern, it seems to be higher than the rest ($4xx-$5xx). But I do agree one of the advice from the expert here: ”…it is far better to overpay for an excellent original vintage omega than to underpay for one in below average or average condition….” (quoted from https://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/) Is this watch worth the extra dollars? This is my real question of the post.

Any constructive opinion would be a great lesson for a novice like me. Thank you. :)

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

2. kreyke Mar 8, 2018

Hi there, welcome to the forum. It's great to see you doing your in-depth research. Whilst I am not familiar with this model, I appreciate the effort you've put in and I'll try my best to weigh in. Bear in mind I'm still a new collector but these are just some observations I noticed and it might be something you want to investigate/consider further.

1) Again, I'm not familiar with this model/case but the grain on the sides looks different from the grain around the watch face. It doesn't seem to extend all the way to the bevel to so the case might be refinished at the very least. That being said, bevels are still present. The case is in decent condition and I would gladly own this watch if I ever was interested.

2) lume at the end of the hour markers appear to be relumed. Too uniformed and omega tends to have it nearer to, if not touching, the hour markers.

However, it's important to note that none of these are a deal breaker to me. With regards to the pricing, I love the earlier movements more so I'm do not look into these later models. You can find seamasters with cal 35x and 5xx in that same price range and condition if you're patient enough.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 8, 2018

The rotor has been scraping the inside of the case back, so I would want some assurances that this was repaired. I personally find it odd that if the watch was serviced only a month ago, the seller would not have any sort of receipt for that. I would ask if the service has any warranty and if the watchmaker will honour it with the watch being sold to you - I would also ask for their contact information so you have it if there is a problem.

Cheers, Al

Togri v. 2.0 likes this.
  4. gadssen83 Mar 8, 2018

Great insight! Really appreciate that, and also the recommendation. I'll start my research on cal 35x and 5xx while putting this on hold. :)

Any more opinions are welcome.

5. gadssen83 Mar 8, 2018

This is the reply regarding to the service:
    This watch has been serviced last month by our watchmaker. We are working with many Jewellers,watchmakers,parts sellers,etc in the same building at JongRo,Seoul,Korea. Our watchmaker does not issue receipt as he works only with sellers.

I'll ask if there's any warranty for the service, thank you for your great advice.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 8, 2018

Well, I can't speak to Korean business practices, but that makes no sense to me. He is basically saying the watchmaker only does work for the trade, but if he doesn't send a receipt how does the seller know how much to pay him for his work? The reason he doesn't want you to see a receipt is either:

1 - The watch wasn't recently serviced.

2 - It was serviced for such a small amount of money that the service is likely worthless.

If you follow through and buy this, I would count on doing a service at some point in the near future.

Cheers, Al

dan7800 likes this.
  7. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 8, 2018

Or he is avoiding the tax man i.e. cash only.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 8, 2018

And if that is the case, he's not the sort of person I would want to deal with, so red flags all around...

dan7800 likes this.
  9. Meelypops Mar 8, 2018

I've a question re buying: is rust on the inside of a case back something to avoid and should it impact a price too much?