Forums Latest Members
  1. Poday Jan 16, 2014

I've decided to posit a question for which there is no right answer...

About a year and a half ago, I decided that I wanted to own a quality vintage watch. Nothing fancy, and I wasn't concerned with brand or notoriety. I just wanted something that I liked the look of, and wasn't junk. After months of looking at pictures here and there, I decided that the Omega Speedmaster 176.0014 TV Dial was the watch for me.

With the help of some members here, I was able to locate a quality example back in August, and I've loved it ever since. I had found the one watch I wanted, and I was done. Right? Right??? As seems to be an all too common dilemma, I ran across some other Omega pieces from the same era during my original search, and ended up purchasing a Speedmaster 125 and a Speedsonic "Lobster" shortly after acquiring the TV Dial.

Okay, but that was plenty, right? I had planned on buying one watch, which I did, but I ended up with three. Then, just a few weeks after picking up the Speedsonic, my girlfriend bought me a modern "Sapphire Sandwich" Speedmaster Moonwatch. I had avoided the Moonwatch, specifically because I felt it was too common. They've been in production, relatively unchanged, for over 60 years, and everyone who wants one, has one. No need to join such a big club. Right? Right?? Well, as expected, I fell in love with the Moonwatch, but found myself longing for something more "original". The applied Omega logo was calling me.

And so, here I am. Searching eBay and various forums daily for something with a 321 inside, and an applied logo outside. And now for my dilemma... (this is the part where you make suggestions) Should I be looking at a "modern" Speedy (105.012 and forward) which is lower in price, but rather similar to my current Moonwatch, or should I be looking for something that is better differentiated from the piece I currently have (code for straight lugs, and a higher price). I think my dream watch would be a 2998-2 with a lollipop hand, but that might be asking for too much.

As I said above, there is obviously no right answer to this question, but I'm curious to hear what the consensus is.

Thanks as always!

2. rolexfantastic Jan 16, 2014

It seems you've got the Omega virus... Once you start you will never have enough.
    I have here somewhere an interesting description of the "modern collector" that will share in a next post if i happen to find...
    The 321 have always been my favorite even though Patek and VC use the same base, but only one of them went to the Space and Moon.

I'm currently considering selling one of my CK 2998 and a few other 321 Speedmasters mostly between 65 to 68, but i would prefer trading for CK 2915 doesn't matter the edition... I'm also interested in buying a BASE 1000.

I can assure you that after your first 321 you will realize there is room for another and then for another, etc.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 16, 2014

I am currently nursing the fever for 321 Speedies. My personal history shows that fever will break and I'll find another focus, but for now...

As for which one, that's tough. I can put horns on just about all of 'em. Going backward:

The 145.012-67 was (according to most sites I read, none of which have proof) the first on the moon.

The 105.012-66 CB (Centrale Boîtes) manufactured case is the sexiest look with its subtle triangular facet on the lug face and flat tipped lugs.

The 105.012-65 has the facet on the case back, connecting it to the Pre-Pro Speedy.

The 105.003-65, -64, -63 have straight lugs, no crown or pusher guards, and no Pro on the dial. Special look among vintage Speedies. And the -63 was the first subjected to the environment known simply as "space."

The 105.002 is a one-of -a-kind reference number produced for a short period.

The CK 2998 and CK 2915 are just epic pieces I need to research further and save $ for...

OPINIONS WILL VARY! But these are the thoughts that play in my head.

I had the idea of working backward from the 145.012-67. I picked up a 105.012-66 CB then a 105.003-65. So much for planning! I just bought what was nice and available...

So I'm still looking for the 145.012-67 and the 105.012-65 before I hunker down and research the nuances with the 2998's. However my depleted wallet is slow to respond...

Tritium, Darlinboy and SpikiSpikester like this.
  4. Mothra Jan 16, 2014

I think there is a right answer for you, and i think you know what it is!

5. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 16, 2014

This would would be my approach:

1. develop a short-list of desired pieces - if you don't know what you want, we can't help!

2. buy them in whatever order you find suitable condition examples, budget permitting

6. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

Make a Top 5 list, then a Target of Opportunity list. Buy a Top 5 watch whenever it pops up in mint condition, and be prepared to pay a premium for the condition. Get a watch on the ToO list whenever a decent deal comes around on a nice one.

7. Wheels Jan 16, 2014

OP, if you have a hankering for an applied logo, it doesn't have to be a 321. The Speedy Transitional is a cheaper option. It has an 861 with a dot over 90 bezel and an applied logo dial. One in good condition will be cheaper than a poor condition 321.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389919550.052021.jpg

Dablitzer likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 16, 2014

A fantastic watch (and a good recommendation), but when you gotta have a 321...

Just looking at the mechanism and the finish of the 321 is enough to hook you. The 861 is a great movement, and is considered by many to be equally durable, more accurate, and easier/cheaper to service. But if it ever went to the moon it was not issued by NASA (if that really matters). Plus it was built to economy, and the finish shows it.

AND...those transitionals are climbing in price...!

9. Wheels Jan 16, 2014

Agree with all of the above but the OP seemed fixated by the applied logo apart from anything else. That and, how often do you take the back off a 321 just to look at the movement? (Unless you have a Priek caseback) I didn't realise the transitional prices had climbed as I've had mine for quite a few years now. Might have to google current worth :p

10. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

That's because applied Ω logos rule!

[​IMG]

Wheels likes this.
  11. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 16, 2014

Who let Connie in? :)
    Time for you to come to the dark side!

12. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2014

Unless some miracle deal happens, this is the darkest I'll ever get with vintage Omega:

[​IMG]

13. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 16, 2014

excellent...the portal is open...(insert diabolical laugh here)

14. Poday Jan 17, 2014

I thought about the transitionals, but the difference in price from a 321 isn't enough for me to justify a half measure. So, applied logo is certainly part of it, but I also want to be in the Speedy club (best parties, cutest girls), and you don't get admission with a modern 1861 as your only piece.

If I had to make a top 5 (in no particular order, and with no clear explanation on how I would afford them):
    1. 2998-2 w/ lollipop
    2. Rolex "red" Submariner 1680
    3. Heuer Autavia w/ dauphine hands
    4. Seamaster 300m ST 166.024-67
    5. Heuer Carrera 45

I think I'm just making this worse :rolleyes:

15. Wheels Jan 17, 2014

Yep, you are!

16. mojothewolf Jan 17, 2014

Omg. I was considering doing this in the other order.......from my 2998/1 through to a transitional. Plus a "FOIS" as a daily wearer....... There goes the dogs college fund .......

17. mac_omega Jan 17, 2014

My humble advice:

replace 2998-2 lollipop through 2913 lollipop - this might be easier to finance and take chance on any nice 2998 which pops up to join the 321 club...

18. rolexfantastic Jan 17, 2014

Then where's the Railmaster ?
    Or the Rolex GMT Pepsi ?

/F

19. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2014

Good points .

Poday, What you really need is a short "300" list.

We'll call it, Poday and The Brave 300 . I'm sure we could get Dennis to change your Avatar or whatever
    300_leonidasBust_full.jpg

Yep, 300, that should just about do it.