Advice/thoughts before buying first watch (Moonwatch, AT, BB58)

I'm about to buy my first watch. I've got some options narrowed down. Speedmaster Moonwatch Prof. , Aqua Terra or BB58. I've tried wearing all of them, and they all feel comfortable and nice watches.

The Moonwatch is the only one with self-wind. For those who have, or had the watch in the past. How do you feel about having to do this every 2nd day, compared to the automatic watches? I absolutely love the sapphire glass on the backside of the Moonwatch, it's the only one of the options I have that I could see the back without any spinning metal plate (AT) or without glass at all (BB58).

I love the clean and stylish finish of the AT, this is the watch I get the biggest quality feeling of wearing. It also feels like the heaviest of the options I got (not a good thing for me).

For the BB58 it's appealing to me because it's a cheaper entry watch that seems to be easy to sell, but it also remain good resell value due to popularity and waiting list. I also love that it's easy to wear (it feels light and thin which is important to me).

How is all these watches compared in term of quality, finish and do all of them have about the same service intervall and price of the service? I've seen some bad photos of the BB58 getting a lot of scratches, while the Omegas have sapphire glass on top of the glass to prevent scratches, correct? Those who get scratches on BB58, is that something that will easily happen or only for those who are careless?

Which of these watches would be a good first watch to own? Price drop and ease of selling is also factors to me since I don't know yet if I will stick to this hobby for 1 year or decades.

I think the Moonwatch and BB58 makes the perfect two-watch collection. Not helping, I know, but to me they're both the solid choices for first chronograph and first diver. Now it just depends on which one you want first. Chronograph or a diver.
I've owned both. I don't mind winding the Moonwatch.
Watches will sooner or later get scratches if we wear it daily. Both Moonwatch and BB58 has sapphire glasses though.
Moonwatch has solid history as it is the one, the Moonwatch. Meanwhile, BB58 I consider as some sort of a homage to the vintage diver. However, I have to admit that the BB58 wears very fine on the wrist being 39mm. The only thing better for me is the Speedmaster Trilogy/FOIS/CK2998 with bracelet. ~39mm is the perfect Speedmaster size for me.
For service costs, my go-to watch repairer charges a bit higher for chronographs.
Buying preowned can be the solution if you're not sure or afraid of changing your mind. If you like it too much, then you can buy new when newer model is released or when you're really sure.

I wind the Speedy Pro every morning - its part of the daily routine and no bother at all. In fact it just makes me appreciate it every time 😀.

I'm lucky enough to have both a Speedy and a BB58. Firstly, there are no wrong answers, all the options are great.
Between the Speedy and BB58, they are very different styles of watch, but I love them both equally. Having said that, for a first watch, I would probably pick the BB58. It's just excellent, looks great and feels awesome on the wrist, plus you'll save a little money over the Speedy.
I picked mine up the day it launched, and still looks awesome. I wouldn't worry about the scratches, it is no more or less prone to them than any other watch you've listed. After over 3 yrs mine still looks great.

I wind the Speedy Pro every morning - its part of the daily routine and no bother at all. In fact it just makes me appreciate it every time 😀.

Seconded. I love winding my manual watches before wearing—as silly as it might sound, that tactile connection is really special. Automatics are great (assuming you wear them often enough to keep them running or store them on winders—otherwise they just become ‘manuals’ too), but there’s something sentimentally unique about a mechanically complex and beautiful object that’s _yours_ and that’s powered by you in a deliberate, routine way—as part of the ritual of putting it on. It’s hard to explain, and maybe not a universal feeling, but for me, anyway, I’d choose a manual wind whenever practical.

Seconded. I love winding my manual watches before wearing—as silly as it might sound, that tactile connection is really special. Automatics are great (assuming you wear them often enough to keep them running or store them on winders—otherwise they just become ‘manuals’ too), but there’s something sentimentally unique about a mechanically complex and beautiful object that’s _yours_ and that’s powered by you in a deliberate, routine way—as part of the ritual of putting it on. It’s hard to explain, and maybe not a universal feeling, but for me, anyway, I’d choose a manual wind whenever practical.

It makes sense in my mind, I never thought about it that way. Makes me not think about it as a drawback anymore

There is something therapeutic about it. Becomes part of the daily routine. Like having a morning coffee. If you miss out on it, the day isn't complete haha

The Aqua terra! Because of the versatility, the water resistance, saphire crystal and its automatic so you dont forget to wind it, even if its therapeutic. God luck

The Aqua terra! Because of the versatility, the water resistance, saphire crystal and its automatic so you dont forget to wind it, even if its therapeutic. God luck

Though the OP did say he found the AT too heavy—? The newer, 40mm+ ones are hefty, though I’d suggest that the issue may be less to do with weight than imbalance. I find them very dial-heavy. I’ve worn other, much heavier but better-weight-balanced watches that have annoyed me less.

Though the OP did say he found the AT too heavy—? The newer, 40mm+ ones are hefty, though I’d suggest that the issue may be less to do with weight than imbalance. I find them very dial-heavy. I’ve worn other, much heavier but better-weight-balanced watches that have annoyed me less.

Yes you are right, but I didnt understand it as the AT was out of the game. Strange that it feels so much heavier than the Speedy, I would recon it is havier than the AT with the chronograph and all. I havnt tryed any of them on that sould be said, I just wanted to balance out you Speedy guys 😀. The AT seems like a better allrounder and therefor a better beginner watch than the Speedy. The BB is out of the questione because its not an Omega and its ugly and looks like a Rollex 😉. Anyways OP is not buying me a watch and seems to know whats he is doing, having tryed them on.

To me, the AT is the most compelling proposition there is for a one-watch ‘collection.’ But not one of the gigantic newer ones—something under 40mm. It goes with any outfit or occasion and the concealed clasp bracelet is absolute perfection once you get it sized just so.

An OP or datejust on oyster also does the same job, I think. But you have to wait 10 months and pay twice as much for a watch that doesn’t have twice as much to offer.

To me, the AT is the most compelling proposition there is for a one-watch ‘collection.’ But not one of the gigantic newer ones—something under 40mm. It goes with any outfit or occasion and the concealed clasp bracelet is absolute perfection once you get it sized just so.

An OP or datejust on oyster also does the same job, I think. But you have to wait 10 months and pay twice as much for a watch that doesn’t have twice as much to offer.

I would love to get my hands on Rolex oyster perpetual or datejust, however in my country it's impossible to get on wait list unless you pay $100k on a yearly basis, and they even stopped putting new people on the list no matter what now since the wait list is already so long. Where can you get the hands of one for just waiting 10 months?

I tried the AT again today (38mm) , I love the design of the watch. It doesn't feel so heavy I can't use it, it just feels heaviest of the ones I've tried.
The seller I met today however informed me there is new updated design coming this summer 2022, it have updated colors and update metal bracelet.

Just to be contrarian, I don't love having to manually wind my speedy. For the first 6 months, I found it to be a neat ritual. But now, there are plenty of mornings when I'm in a hurry and I just decide to keep wearing whatever I've already got on the wrist, versus stopping to wind up the speedy.

I also think that a sense of weight is something you just adapt to. I own a some big, heavy black bays (even the P01). At first they seemed huge and heavy. Now they seem normal and the speedy feels almost imperceptibly light by comparison.

That said, all three of the watches you are considering are great, so you can't really go wrong. Have fun making the final decision!

I would love to get my hands on Rolex oyster perpetual or datejust, however in my country it's impossible to get on wait list unless you pay $100k on a yearly basis, and they even stopped putting new people on the list no matter what now since the wait list is already so long. Where can you get the hands of one for just waiting 10 months?

Depends on some variables, but generally it seems like people in the US can get these less-hyped models within a year.

Can’t go wrong with any of them. My suggestion would depend on your lifestyle and how many watches you want to own. If you’re going to be a one watch person, of these 3, I would suggest the BB or AT. For a two watch collection, as others have stated, the BB58 and Speedy are a killer combo that cover all of your bases.

The Speedmaster is iconic, but not as versatile as a BB or AT if you go to the beach, lake, pool, etc. Some owners are less inclined to wear it in the gym or on a run compared to a heartier dive watch, too.

The AT has a better fit and finish than the BB, but BB has a design that’s stood the test of time a bit better in my opinion (AT is a bit trendier and tends to get a new dial + date window style regularly, whereas the BB58’s design is firmly rooted in history),. I find the AT is a bit flashier than the BB - neither a good nor bad thing, but something to keep in mind.

Just to be contrarian, I don't love having to manually wind my speedy. For the first 6 months, I found it to be a neat ritual. But now, there are plenty of mornings when I'm in a hurry and I just decide to keep wearing whatever I've already got on the wrist, versus stopping to wind up the speedy.
Crikey, it takes about ten seconds to wind a watch (maybe 20 if you haven't worn it and you have to set the time, too), hard to believe your mornings are so jam packed and hectic that it becomes hard to fit that activity in. I hope your tooth care doesn't get the short shrift, recommendation is at least two full minutes, plus the flossing time. Poor Speedy.

You Speedy guys are just totaly bonkers! 😉

I'm about to buy my first watch. I've got some options narrowed down. Speedmaster Moonwatch Prof. , Aqua Terra or BB58. I've tried wearing all of them, and they all feel comfortable and nice watches.

The Moonwatch is the only one with self-wind. For those who have, or had the watch in the past. How do you feel about having to do this every 2nd day, compared to the automatic watches? I absolutely love the sapphire glass on the backside of the Moonwatch, it's the only one of the options I have that I could see the back without any spinning metal plate (AT) or without glass at all (BB58).

I love the clean and stylish finish of the AT, this is the watch I get the biggest quality feeling of wearing. It also feels like the heaviest of the options I got (not a good thing for me).

For the BB58 it's appealing to me because it's a cheaper entry watch that seems to be easy to sell, but it also remain good resell value due to popularity and waiting list. I also love that it's easy to wear (it feels light and thin which is important to me).

How is all these watches compared in term of quality, finish and do all of them have about the same service intervall and price of the service? I've seen some bad photos of the BB58 getting a lot of scratches, while the Omegas have sapphire glass on top of the glass to prevent scratches, correct? Those who get scratches on BB58, is that something that will easily happen or only for those who are careless?

Which of these watches would be a good first watch to own? Price drop and ease of selling is also factors to me since I don't know yet if I will stick to this hobby for 1 year or decades.

Are you going to collect, or just want one high quality piece? If you just want one good watch then I’d have to say AT. It’s easily one of the most versatile watches, especially in the 38.5mm.

Agree, the Aqua Terra is the more universal of the 3, and automatic. Grab and Go. It will fit most occasion`s and purposes. I feel the Speedmaster should be your 2nd purchase as a chronograph will only bring more joy compared to a time only if you can use and appreciate the extra feature. So anything more than timeing your egg`s 😉

BB does not do it for me, i`d say a good sporty/diver middle of the road type watch in this category can be had for far less money. Wearing pleasure though should be higher on your list than resale value, imo.

I wear my AT least of all the watches I have. BB58 and Speedy in fairly exclusive rotation . All different watches for different occasions and moods. You'll probably buy all three eventually, like I ended up doing. Tough choice. Enjoy the hunt. PXL_20211210_110952384.jpg