Advice/thoughts before buying first watch (Moonwatch, AT, BB58)

I wear my AT least of all the watches I have. BB58 and Speedy in fairly exclusive rotation . All different watches for different occasions and moods. You'll probably buy all three eventually, like I ended up doing. Tough choice. Enjoy the hunt. PXL_20211210_110952384.jpg

Exactly, it's what I've been thinking too, I can easily see myself buying several watches. Isn't it expensive to maintain all these watches for service? Do you send them in for service every 5-7 year? And do you use all watches to maintain the watch, or could they be lying unused for months/years?

What made you chose the blue version over the black, was it more available or did you enjoy the colors of the blue more?
What makes you wanna use the BB58 over for example the AT? Is it because of your style, because it's more comfortable to wear or something else?

Sorry for all the questions, just getting a bit excited when I saw the collection 😀

Firstly I wanted the blue AT it was the first watch I got but I wanted a true diver too. Then came the 300m. After that the BB58 caught my eye and after a short wait I got a call in 2019 for that one. The Speedy was next and then the Bond. I change the straps on all except the BB58. The AT for me is the dressiest of what I have so it's for good wear and almost always on the leather I bought it on. I have the bracelet for it too. The Speedy stays either on the nylon or an Uncle Seiko 1450. I really don't think I will buy another watch or sell any of the ones I have, assuming circumstances don't make it necessary to sell.
I have not yet needed to get them serviced but will do so when I need to one at a time based on use and age The oldest is the AT from 2019 and hardly ever worn G

I have been rotating these days between AT 41 and BB 41, not exactly your options.

I prefer the AT by a small margin, mainly it is a more interesting design with a lot of aesthetics details, not so apparent at a first glance. It takes time to discover all the ‘corners’ in an AT.

Wrist above 7” at 41, below 7 AT 38…just an opinion…heavy?, not at all.

Speedy gets my vote, I've just bought one, and I too love the manual wind (I have other manual watches not just the Speedmaster), I have memories of my father sitting on his bed winding his watch and winding mine brings him to mind, I like that. I also like the mechanics behind a manual wind and the calm pause in the morning for the few seconds it takes to wind it up.

The Speedy was my first luxury watch I bought (a few years back)... I now have 3 including a Zenith and Grand Seiko. The manual wind of the Speedy is still a treat to do in the mornings, especially since its so smooth and the clicks so satisfying. Also, as mentioned, unless you wear the watch daily ok keep them in a winder, you still have to wind it up when you first grab them. Check out the "watches for sale" section here... you can find great prices on new pieces...

Not QUITE the same but I have a Speedy and a BB GMT.
I love them both, but for different reasons. And I also wear them for different reasons.
Really depends on what you are looking for out of a watch.
In terms of "build quality", I think they are about equal. If you are worried about scratches, definitely stick with a sapphire Speedy, although I'd say most like the Hesalite (which is that I have).
Lets put it this way, if I want to wear something I know is up for anything, I wear the Tudor.
I also just plan to service them when they need servicing. The Speedy at least. The Tudor I may stick with their intervals because I use the watch in the water, so I want to make sure it is up to the task.

BB58 for me, then the Speedy. AT is missing something (plus points for lyre lugs and no HE valve) but also looks dated on every update, PCL not great for everyday wear and the hour hand should match the minute hand visually.

BB58 if you want to do everything with your watch, also dive bezel also easier (visually to for an hr timer). Oyster case is great and something that Rolex have mastered.

Size is great, domed sapphire, good lume, robust, nice PR, can be worn in must situations, iconic look.

The Speedy especially is the sapphire sandwich is pretty perfect, tad expensive in guise compared to watch it once was. But also iconic, can be worn anywhere and in most situations. Maybe not a beach/ watersports holiday, I would, but some wouldn't.

Try them all on and buy whatever sings to you.

At some point you'll pick up the others.

The Tudor I may stick with their intervals because I use the watch in the water, so I want to make sure it is up to the task.

Probably not telling you anything you don't know, but fwiw many ADs (esp those with an on-site watchmaker) can do a dry pressure-test for you, often free of charge. It's not a bad idea to do it once every year or two, with a watch you swim with. I just had this done at a Tudor/Rolex AD---a watch I didn't purchase from them---no cost, took about three minutes. Can extend your peace of mind without requiring the cost/time of a full service.

I'm about to buy my first watch. I've got some options narrowed down. Speedmaster Moonwatch Prof. , Aqua Terra or BB58. I've tried wearing all of them, and they all feel comfortable and nice watches.

The Moonwatch is the only one with self-wind. For those who have, or had the watch in the past. How do you feel about having to do this every 2nd day, compared to the automatic watches? I absolutely love the sapphire glass on the backside of the Moonwatch, it's the only one of the options I have that I could see the back without any spinning metal plate (AT) or without glass at all (BB58).

I love the clean and stylish finish of the AT, this is the watch I get the biggest quality feeling of wearing. It also feels like the heaviest of the options I got (not a good thing for me).

For the BB58 it's appealing to me because it's a cheaper entry watch that seems to be easy to sell, but it also remain good resell value due to popularity and waiting list. I also love that it's easy to wear (it feels light and thin which is important to me).

How is all these watches compared in term of quality, finish and do all of them have about the same service intervall and price of the service? I've seen some bad photos of the BB58 getting a lot of scratches, while the Omegas have sapphire glass on top of the glass to prevent scratches, correct? Those who get scratches on BB58, is that something that will easily happen or only for those who are careless?

Which of these watches would be a good first watch to own? Price drop and ease of selling is also factors to me since I don't know yet if I will stick to this hobby for 1 year or decades.
get a speedy pro!

I wear my AT least of all the watches I have. BB58 and Speedy in fairly exclusive rotation . All different watches for different occasions and moods. You'll probably buy all three eventually, like I ended up doing. Tough choice. Enjoy the hunt. PXL_20211210_110952384.jpg

That tudor is absolutely gorgeous

I'm about to buy my first watch. I've got some options narrowed down

One other watch you might want to consider which is pretty much completely overlooked is the Omega Railmaster.
40mm case, 46mm lug to lug, 20mm lug width and 12.5mm thick. These are extremely wearable dimensions for pretty much anyone.

It has a sapphire crystal and a very high quality movement, similar to the AT but with no date. Its bracelet is basically the same as the AT but all brushed so it’s not as flashy/dressy and it won’t be as heavy. It’s got vintage styling and it’s 150m water resistance make it a true Go Anywhere, Do Anything (GADA) watch.

The best thing is that because they are so overlooked, you can pick them up brand new for about the same cost as the BB58 and used in very good condition maybe 2 years old (so 3 years left on the Omega warranty) for about $2.9k USD. I would probably go the used route as they are under appreciated and so there is not as much demand as other models - let the original owner take the hit!
AF62F982-8C7F-4802-BDDC-25BD0313FCD9.jpeg

F24B0E59-CF06-437D-9B99-EA15C1E8648E.jpeg
Edited:

Probably not telling you anything you don't know, but fwiw many ADs (esp those with an on-site watchmaker) can do a dry pressure-test for you, often free of charge. It's not a bad idea to do it once every year or two, with a watch you swim with. I just had this done at a Tudor/Rolex AD---a watch I didn't purchase from them---no cost, took about three minutes. Can extend your peace of mind without requiring the cost/time of a full service.

I was actually unaware. Great info, thank you!

I have the 3861 sapphire speedmaster and the 2021 green AT (amongst others). I love them both. I enjoy winding the speedy, and don’t find the AT noticeably heavy. They both keep great time and I’d be happy wearing either. If I had to choose one, I’d probably say the AT because I don’t have to worry about taking it off when I’m out on the lake or at the beach or whatever.

My current collection is quite similar, although my Speedy of choice is the FOIS.

OP, any of these three would make a fine one-watch collection. Alternatively, the B58 and Speedy are a terrific 2-watch collection, covering the diver and chrono bases nicely, and the 58's wearing comfort is among the best there is. And, of course, adding in the AT gives you a versatile watch that can dress up or down and is beautifully finished, with a dial that is especially superb. I have the 41mm and don't find it particularly heavy or cumbersome on my 7" wrist, but folks is folks.

Any of these is a worthwhile investment and you'll largely recoup your spend if you decide to sell. But if I had to have just one, I'd probs go Speedy Pro, BB58, AT. Good luck.

My current collection is quite similar, although my Speedy of choice is the FOIS.

OP, any of these three would make a fine one-watch collection. Alternatively, the B58 and Speedy are a terrific 2-watch collection, covering the diver and chrono bases nicely, and the 58's wearing comfort is among the best there is. And, of course, adding in the AT gives you a versatile watch that can dress up or down and is beautifully finished, with a dial that is especially superb. I have the 41mm and don't find it particularly heavy or cumbersome on my 7" wrist, but folks is folks.

Any of these is a worthwhile investment and you'll largely recoup your spend if you decide to sell. But if I had to have just one, I'd probs go Speedy Pro, BB58, AT. Good luck.

I tried the AT again some days ago, it's not overly heavy, but to me it felt heavier then the BB58 and the Speedy (not by much, but lighter is better, at least in the beginning when I'm not used to it). I'm probably heading to the store in a few days to pre-order the BB58, but it was an extremely hard choice that could have gone either way with the AT or BB58. Several of these Omegas looks gorgeous, I love the design of them. My next purchase will definitely be a Omega. Hopefully Omega watches won't be as hard to get as Rolex in a year or two. The sale person at the store I went to last time said Omega is reducing amount of watches produced to the same level as Rolex, before it was millions of watches each year but moving forward it will be only 750k a year. Is this true? It got me a bit worried for the future..