Forums Latest Members
  1. Shairan Feb 1, 2013

Hello, I am new here and hoping for some expert advice. I have fallen in love with a cosmic triple date moonphase . Before I take the plunge, could anybody share how the moonphase is meant to function? Is the disc suppose to turn one click when the hour hand crosses 12 midnight, or do you have to advance it manually every single day by pressing the side button? It is the 2471/1 model with the DLP calibre. Not sure if that is very different to 381 cal. Many thanks for your help.

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

Those movements are nearly identical. You set the moonphase by pressing on side button then as the watch runs it will advance 1 click a day.

Need pictures to give direct feedback on the watch you are interested in buying - lots of pitfalls this model and important parts if needed can be hard to find.

3. Shairan Feb 2, 2013

Thank you very much. Your advice that "as the watch runs it will advance by 1 click a day" is what I expect. I now get a bit nervous because the seller is saying that it is normal that the side button need to be pressed for the moondisc to advance. mmm... not sounding good. I dont want to make this a project watch, and mechanical integrity is a must.

Anyway, this is the watch as is advertised
    [​IMG]

The dial appears to be original. I believe that one major problem with 2471/1 in general is many dials were refinished. I dont have the dial photo. serial is 10xxxxxx, which I believe is the approx correct range.

If the moondisc doesnt work, back to the drwaing board for me... But I'm really thankful to have your expert advice. Avoided a regret, and heart ache of finding illusive parts.

4. Shairan Feb 2, 2013

One more question if I may. Is it correct that the month (Jan/Feb/etc) disc will only advance manually by pressing the side button? I would have thought that the month will advance 1 click when the date advances pass 31. Many thanks for your help. I'm doing my homework before making any expensive mistake.

5. ulackfocus Feb 2, 2013

I don't think so - it should be automatic. It sounds like the mechanism is broken and the seller is giving you a line. The moonphase should advance automatically too. Looks like you should pass because it won't be easy or cheap to find the parts to fix this watch.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 2, 2013

There are three buttons on the sides of this watch - one to advance the month, another to advance the date and another to advance the moonphase. The date can only be advanced by moving time forward. All of these functions advance as the watch runs and the buttons are in order to set it properly (say at the start after the watch hasn't been used for some time). I think you need to clarify that the pushers work properly and advance what they need to advance when pressed and that these also change correctly when the watch is running - easy enough to check because you should see these things advancing as you move the time forward manually.

When buying these watches dial condition is paramount as is movement condition - because these were snapback cases with holes on the sides, there were lots of spaces where moisture could enter the case.

These are another favorite of mine and I think are massively undervalued so collect them while the price is still reasonable!

7. tomvox1 Feb 2, 2013

Actually, I think the bit about the month only advancing manually on these is correct, just like on a Valjoux 72C. I think of this era only the JLC Triples had an automatic advancing month after day 31. That's how I remember it from owning a couple of these.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is quite true that it's easy to cock up the quickset pushers on these, as they are never supposed to be used too close to midnight for fear of entangling already moving gears. Hard to fix and hard to find parts so you either better double check that everything works properly or have a very good watchmaker at the ready. :)

Good luck,
    T.

8. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 2, 2013

correct. and the dial variant from the OP is a nice one; all steel and blued hands. depending on price, that`s a version to pursue.... kind regards. achim

9. Shairan Feb 2, 2013

Many thanks guys! Your advice is much appreciated. I now know what I dont know (an improvement from not knowing what I dont know) :thumbsup: . Wish me luck with the due dilligence. Have a beautiful Sunday.

10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 4, 2013

Hmm, interesting. I do like these older triple dates. For some reason not a fan of the Speedie Triple dates, but these are nice!

11. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 20, 2013

So was the concensus that:
    - date, day & moonphase move forward automatically
    - month needs to be moved forward manually?

My new one: http://omegaforums.net/threads/ورود-کیهانی-فاز-ماه.3990/
    has the crown and only 2 small buttons on the side. One above and one below the crown:
    - the top one changes the month,
    - the bottom one changes the date (without changing the month when I go passed the 31)
    - the date is also 'quick set' (10-2), the day moves backwards when you use the quickset date function, so to set the day I need to just move the time forward.

So how do I change the moonphase?

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 20, 2013

There should be a third button on the other side. One button advances date, another moonphase and the third month. The day is advanced by moving time forward (if memory serves). Also, don't make any adjustments with the time set between 10 and 2 as you might jam up the works.

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 20, 2013

Found that button, thanks! I've just set the time to almost midnight on the 31st to see if the month does move automatically or not, then I'll change the time and fiddle with the moonphase button!

14. Shairan Mar 18, 2013

With your knowledgable advice above, I was able to muster enough courage. I am happy to share with you the outcome. Thank you very much guys!
    [​IMG]

Privateday7 and UncleBuck like this.
  15. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 18, 2013

Do all your buttons work? Will you have serviced?
    Beautiful watch!
    If not too much to ask, may I inquire as to the price range?
    These are a dream of mine.

16. Shairan Mar 19, 2013

:), the 3 pushers do work thankfully. Based on the advice of the knowledgable people above, that's what I checked before committing. This one was serviced, and that was important to me coz it will be hard to find parts. I do not know enough about the price range, only from my short span of observation - it seems that the lower end range is $1.5-2k(?) up to an upper end of $3.5-4k(?). Dial condition seems to be the dominant factor. Fair specimen pops up periodically on the bay. Do however take heed of the wise counsels from the experts above

17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 19, 2013

The price range looks about right with dial condition (and usually this mirrors movement and case condition) being the dominant factor. This model has a smaller percentage of excellent to pristine examples when compared to most other vintage omegas.

18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Mar 19, 2013

Thanks Mike and Shairan,
    Mike, you had given me a range before that I hold as gospel. Beautiful women and beautiful watches, expensive to acquire and costly to maintain!
    Sharain, I was gently and politely hinting at what this beauty had cost you. Pardon my being forward, but the members seem to share quite freely here.
    Good Luck with your beautiful watch!

MikiJ likes this.
  19. cristos71 Apr 1, 2015

I have just bought one of these and love it. Everything is working perfectly....or so I thought..... only the month didn't change automatically from March to April overnight, I had to manually change it this morning.
    I wasn't sure after reading this old thread exactly what the consensus was, is manual month advancement correct or should it be automatic?

20. tomvox1 Apr 5, 2015

The month must be manually advanced like nearly all "annual calendars" of this period (Valjoux 72c, 88, Landeron 148, Universal 281, etc).
    Hope you enjoy your watch!
    T.