Forums Latest Members

Advice regarding the purchase of a case back opener

1. philh Mar 2, 2016

I am looking to buy a case back opener and the sheer numbers/variations and prices is somewhat confusing, I want a quality, easy to use tool that will give me a reasonable chance of removing a back without destroying the watch.
    I will not be undertaking any work other than to check serial numbers/take photographs etc and it seems that a sensible approach would be to buy a watch case holder as well
    Research suggests Bergeon is a quality brand and a Jaxa style tool is the easiest to use. Is this correct ? Any other advice ?

2. Spike Mar 2, 2016

Nathan1967 likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

If you want to take a caseback off without doing any damage and you want ease of use these are remarkably effective:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rubber-Ball...442145?hash=item1eac1a9521:g:oykAAOSwo3pWfgyQPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If that doesn't work, its usually because a gasket's melted or something so I get the watchmaker to handle it. Using those three prong style openers is too risky to the watches I tend to buy, especially as many are gold. Watchmakers have a more serious device with a die that fits the caseback but I've even seen some of them use the ball to take off a Speedmaster back or the like.

I've seen those Jaxa openers do damage not unlike the infamous needle nose pliers method.

Nathan1967 likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 2, 2016

My choice has long been this one (Bergeon). I prefer it to the ball-types. One qualification though: probably better for smaller vintage watches (i.e. <40mm), as the pressure is concentrated in a smaller area.

[​IMG]

ICONO and dsio like this.
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 2, 2016

The ball, etc, presumably these are all designed for twist off? Do they also work on snap off? I assume not?

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

Yea they're intended for screw type, the only snapbacks I get I tend to take straight to the watchmaker, not worth damaging them myself.

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 2, 2016

There are plenty of case opening tools that can fit the bill.

The fact that you are asking the question leaves me wondering what may happen after you have it off, no matter your intentions.

Start with something easy to open, and inexpensive. :thumbsup:

8. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 2, 2016

^^^No sense of adventure...

wsfarrell likes this.
  9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 2, 2016

Here's what a lot of people use on the once-upon-a-time fine watches:

[​IMG]

Benbradstock and Uniqez like this.
  10. Stu-Silver Mar 2, 2016

And that's just for starters sometimes! I have scratched a few case backs in my time with the 3 prong jobbies. I now have a cheap Indian import version of the Bergeon above which works most of the time. It's great for getting them back on too when your first trying to line up the thread.

roman9662 likes this.
  11. philh Mar 2, 2016

My parents cannot believe I collect watches because as a kid I had an uncanny knack of destroying anything mechanical

Mind you having seen your avatar I find your comment a bit rich as most farmers I know try to repair everything with baler twine and a 14llb lump hammer ! :D

Darlinboy likes this.
  12. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 2, 2016

My case opening tools
    Opening Tools.JPG

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 2, 2016

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 3, 2016

Ah yes.......

On the bay at the moment.

No movement shot though. Wonder why?

Screen Shot 2016-03-03 at 5.32.37 PM.png

loniscup, Benbradstock, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 3, 2016

This lot should meet your requirement.

The blue ball must be pumped up hard to work effectively and must also be slightly grabby to the touch, some are slippery and useless.

The forked opener is easier to control than a three point Jaxa and of course the case should be held in a soft holder, preferably mounted to a bench of a bit of board.

The Gem razor and case knives are for snap backs and I have no problem getting those off with just these tools. When used correctly of course.

CaseBackOpenersBeginner.JPG

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 3, 2016

I use a Bergeon 5700. Mostly with urethane friction dies, but I have many brand specific dies as well...

17. nickw Mar 3, 2016

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 3, 2016

Buck2466 likes this.
  19. Pvt-Public Mar 3, 2016

Should have used this, at least then he would have got the case open. ::screwloose::
    chisel.jpg

nzshadow likes this.
  20. nickw Mar 3, 2016

Oh interesting I've never been brave enough to try that - always thought I'd need an oyster set.