Advice re 1954 Dennison 13322 cased Omega Seamaster

Hi all.

I've inherited my father's watch which, with a bit of forum surfing, I've established is an Omega 266 movement in a Dennison 13322 case.

It's got plenty of 'patina'. As a child I remember him always wearing it, on his allotment, to work, etc. It was a 21st birthday gift that he certainly got the most of!

That wear is the reason for me appearing on the forum, particularly regards the case. Whilst I was surprised to see it does wind and run, the crown doesn't pull out to adjust the hands.

It was probably this that ended up with him not wearing it: I have half a dozen lookalike cheap quartz watches he used after this one went into his box of keepsakes.

I'm sure a clean would sort the movement- I have no idea if it was ever serviced but he wasn't a man for proactive maintenance.

The case, however, is badly worn where the pins for the strap affix. In fact, the holes are on the point of breaking through.

Ideally I'd like to get it running properly in its existing condition (he'd haunt me if I properly restored it!) and wear it occasionally. At the moment I'd fear the strap pulling the pin out of the body and me losing the watch.

Any advice on potential steps to take welcomed!

Richard PXL_20220227_101426008.MP.jpg PXL_20220227_100639958.jpg PXL_20220227_100419066.jpg PXL_20220227_100536392.jpg

Any advice on potential steps to take welcomed!
Hello @Diyhell and welcome to the forum!

If you intend to keep and wear your father's watch, I'd recommend that you first have the watch serviced by an independent watchmaker near you who is familiar with working on vintage watches. Ask the watchmaker for a complete movement service, since all of the tiny mechanical parts inside your watch need to be cleaned, inspected for wear and tear, and then re-lubricated before your watch will function well as a reliable timepiece.

The worn lug holes can be repaired using a laser welding process, commonly used to repair jewelry. A watchmaker can sometimes provide this service or they may work with a jewelry shop to have it done. When looking for a watchmaker, ask if they can laser weld lug holes.

If you need help finding a watchmaker, ask the forum for some suggestions near you.

You have a lovely vintage dress watch that is made even better by its heirloom status. Make sure you place it on a soft leather strap to prevent future wear to those lug holes. Good luck with it, and keep us posted on your progress!

It wouldn't have started life with Seamaster on the dial I would have thought so it may have been either swapped or repainted at some point. The 13322 is not a hermetically sealed case and has no water resistance at all. You can probably get the lug damage laser welded to ensure it doesn't get any worse.

If your in the Uk ,I can give you the details of the man that recently serviced my watch.

If your in the Uk ,I can give you the details of the man that recently serviced my watch.
I am in, in Edinburgh, so suggestions welcomed!