Forums Latest Members
  1. MerlinManuel Oct 15, 2018

Dear all

I am a newbie in the field and am looking for a 1972 Speedmaster. I found two listings i find intereting but struggle to identify wether they are for real or not. the Mark IV has a serial number of 34xxxxxx marking it either at 1972 or later, depending on which information out there i am to believe:

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/speedmaster-professional-moonwatch-long-s-r-145022--id9090204.htm

the Speedmaster professional has a 31xxxxxx serial, again attributed to 1972 by some information out there, but i am not experienced enough tomsee if it is still in its original state:

https://www.chrono24.com/omega/speedmaster-automatik-markiv--id9217120.htm

I would greatly value your input, many thanks

merlin

2. m84 Oct 16, 2018

Since no one chimed in, im just gonna give my quick observations.

First of all you are comparing 2 different models, but you don't specify what model 'Speedmaster' you are looking for.

The first link, is a Speedmaster Professional, the classic one, but whatever the serial, it has a modern bezel and bracelet. So not all original to the period you are looking for.

The second link is a Speedmaster Mark IV automatic, so it's a whole other thing and my knowledge on these variants is non-existent. Sorry.

If you specify your questions and doubts clearly, maybe more people can help out.

Cheers,
    Lou

gop76 and 89-0 like this.
  3. ext1 Oct 16, 2018

You must read and do some research if you intend to get an all original speedy. Start with speedmaster101.com, the online bible for speedys.

dan7800 likes this.
  4. jimmyd13 Oct 16, 2018

Welcome to the site @MerlinManuel

A few points:
    1) pictures help. Don't post links because, at a later date, those can be removed. Photos remain on this site and allow people to easily look at the watch in question. We love photos.
    2) the Mark IV wasn't released until 1973. This watch will be too late for your needs.
    3) The dating tool on ilovemyspeedmaster.com is currently the most accurate tool for production dates. You can find it here: https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/productiondateprediction/

5. MerlinManuel Oct 18, 2018

Dear all

Many thanks for your input! I will study the references mentionned and return to the forum in the way suggested, with pics not links!

cheers merlin

6. chipsotoole Oct 18, 2018

Hey Merlin,
    Please also bear in mind that there can be discrepancies between the serial number and the style of Speedy. 861 Movements for example could sit on the storage shelf for a quite while before being put in a casing..I don't know the maximum amount of time, but from reading here I've read of about an 18 month delay. It really depends on how you choose to date the watch. Many folk get an extract from the archives and use the shipping date as a closer indication. I've got a Speedy Mark II 29,xxxxxx, it's got the early bracelet and end pins and I'd love to date it to the moonshot year 1969 using the various dating tables out there (some say yes, some say no, others say depends on the speedy model)...but I suspect it probably creeps into 1970.

7. MerlinManuel Oct 19, 2018

Many thanks for your input!