Forums Latest Members

Advice please on Seiko car boot sale find.

1. jove14 Apr 25, 2017

Hi All.
    Trawling around our local car boot sale at the weekend I bought this Seiko Kinetic Scuba Divers watch for 8 UK pounds :)
    That sounds great and it is because I love it but having worn it for a few days now it does on occasion stop :(
    The advice I need is, is it faulty, would it be a costly repair.
    How do I tell if there is any charge in it?
    I have researched this model on the net and they all say the button above the crown when depressed shows the amount of reserve or charge.
    But depressing it doesn't seem to do anything!
    Model number on the back is : 5M62-OBLO.
    I would be grateful for any advice.
    Joe.

P1070641.JPG...jpg
  2. Canuck Apr 25, 2017

To tell how much charge there is in the capacitor (battery), allow the sweep seconds hand to reach the 60-second mark. Then, PRESS IN AND HOLD the button at the 2:00 position. The seconds hand will rapidly advance around the dial, and stop. Where it stops gives an indication how much the capacitor is charged. If the capacitor is fully charged, the seconds hand advances to about the 30-seconds mark, or so. If it only advances to, say, the 10-second mark, the capacitor is nearly kaput. Leave the watch under a bright light for a few hours, then try this test. How far the seconds hand advances will tell you about the state of the capacitor. If the capacitor is on its last legs, it can be replaced. How much you'll pay varies by where you live. Being a diver's model, you should consider replacing the gasket and having it water tested once the repair is done. This all will cost you a LOT more than what you paid for the watch! If Seiko Kinetics were the last watch on earth, I'd use a sun dial!

Fritz and argonbeam like this.
  3. jove14 Apr 26, 2017

Hi.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I did read on the net about using the button at the 2:00 position, I tried it a few times and nothing happened.
    Also on the Seiko page it does say :
    " When the second hand moves at two-second intervals, the power reserve is very low and the indicator does not function "
    This is happening on mine so I suppose it needs a new capacitor.
    Thanks for the info.
    Joe.

4. michael22 Apr 26, 2017

Isn't the Kinetic charged by mechanical movt. like an automatic? When I last chose a quartz, I chose an Ecodrive, because it was solar. The kinetics weren't.

Foo2rama and ahsposo like this.
  5. michael22 Apr 26, 2017

My eco drive, after 10 yrs, was too costly to repair. I spent good money fixing one part, only to find another part needed fixing soon after. I concluded ecodrives were designed with a 10 yr lifespan, & tossed it. I've no experience with Kinetics.

6. Canuck Apr 26, 2017

The kinetic Seiko uses a rotor like that used on a mechanical automatic wind watch. The large diameter rotor gear drives a tiny pinion which spins an armature which generates the current to charge the capacitor. As to any advantage in using a capacitor that can be recharged instead of a typical cell? Not much of an advantage in my view. The capacitor is like any rechargeable battery. In time it will no longer accept a charge. Then the watch is off to the shop for a relatively expensive capacitor replacement, and you are without your watch for a while.

The capacitor in the subject watch is kaput, and the previous owner decided to dump the watch rather than spend the money to have it fixed. Let us know what you decide to do.

Gauvain, argonbeam and Sculler22 like this.
  7. Sculler22 Apr 26, 2017

That's great advice from Canuck, the price/performance ratio for kinetics doesn't hold up.

8. Canuck Apr 26, 2017

In my view, the same situation exists with the Citizen Eco-Drive, and any other watch using a rechargeable capacitor. I will say that the Swiss also use a system similar to the Seiko Kinetic. For all the Seiko and Citizen capacitors I replace, I've never had to replace a capacitor in a Swiss-style kinetic. Maybe because there are not as many around? I don't know.

michael22 likes this.
  9. jove14 Apr 28, 2017

Hi.
    Thanks to all for replying.
    I will probably keep it as it seems to be running OK.
    The second hand is no longer moving at 2 second intervals, I assume it's now holding a charge.
    Looking on ebay a capacitor can be bought for around12-16 pounds, so it would be decent watch for not a lot of money.
    Joe.

ewand likes this.
  10. tapaptpat Apr 28, 2017

Edited Apr 28, 2017
  11. Canuck Apr 28, 2017

Gonna put it in yourself? Good luck with that.

12. michael22 Apr 28, 2017

@Canuck was wondering about your advice to put the seiko under a bright light for a few hours. What would that do?

13. Canuck Apr 28, 2017

You are right to ask about putting the Seiko Kinetic under a bright light! That will bo nothing! I got it into my head that this was a Citizen Eco-Drive. But it is a Seiko Kinetic. Dumb! The light test is done to evaluate the storage of a capacitor on an Eco-Drive, but it does nothing with a kinetic. My mistake! The only way to evaluate the capacitor on a Kinetic is to wear it actively for a day, then do the button test I mentioned in my first post.

Edited Apr 28, 2017
    michael22 and Foo2rama like this.
  14. Egatdagi May 6, 2017

I just replaced the capacitor on my Seiko Solar. Similar system except the capacitor is charged by light instead on movement. The watchmaker charged $65 CAD total.