Forums Latest Members

Advice please. Hopefully a genuine '52 Seamaster???

1. vincereynard Nov 24, 2015

I have been offered this Seamaster before it goes on sale at the usual suspects.

It is, allegedly, totally original and unmolested. Just been serviced and given a light polish with a soft cloth.

Your opinions would be appreciated. He does want £1600, which seems a lot for a Seamaster.
    3.JPG 12.JPG 13.JPG 14.JPG 8.JPG

Many thanks.
    Vince

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

I don't see anything particularly wrong with this watch. I would prefer to see a more straight-in picture of the dial. The font in "Automatic" seems a tiny bit off, but that could easily be related to distortion in the crystal.

The price seems rather high for a 14K at over $2,000. However, assuming the dial checks out, the rest of the watch looks spot on.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 24, 2015

The thing that jumps out at me is the O in Omega on the bumper rotor looks like it's been partly scratched off. It may just be the photo but it seems odd. I don't see anything on the dial that screams redial but that doesn't mean others won't disagree. Otherwise, it looks like a shiny 14k 2577 Seamaster that's way over priced.

4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Nov 24, 2015

Price is a bit high a $2400 in my opinion. It looks ok and original to me for the most part though. Hour hand possibly replace/relumed as I think the lume should be thinner like the minute hand.

5. alam Nov 24, 2015

As others have said, looks like a decent specimen but not $2K nice . Here's mine, a similar but gold capped model - I like a lot these simple dials!

IMG_1305.JPG
  6. vincereynard Nov 24, 2015

Cheers chaps. Nice, honest watch but well overpriced. More like £800.

Strange indeed. Expanding the image seems to show it was stamped poorly. The background seems consistent.

Spot on, going by the watch above.

Having said that, I shall not be surprised if he sells it. He got £1350 for a straight, no name, auto. with a pretty harlequin dial.

7. Willem023 Nov 25, 2015

In general an nice watch, although rather polished.
    As said before, minute hand is a replacement, hour hand might also be.
    Price might be a bit too high, although I might think that GBP 800 is very optimistic. But take into account some new-old hands (if you can find those), it adds up again, depending on service. But then: if you like it, wear it!
    Pic of mine 352RG for comparison of the hands.

Still very much in love with this one..... :cool:
    P1070869.JPG

8. Kwijibo Nov 25, 2015

Price is too high for me. It shouldn't be more than 1700 euros. It's not 18K gold. As for the watch itself I don't see anything strange. The only thing I see are the missing springs for the rotor. Or the are hidden under the bridge.

9. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 25, 2015

Price is way high. I have the same watch, given it has a redial, asking well under $1k.

For that money, should be a chronometre or 18k case.

10. Kwijibo Nov 25, 2015

I totally agree.

11. PatrickJ Nov 25, 2015

Alarm's watch looks perfect. The one in question when you zoom in does not look correct, it could be distortion from the cover but to me the two A's in automatic are not leveled off at the top as they should be and Alarm's A's in automatic are leveled off at the top. Without a watch loupe it is hard to see.