Forums Latest Members

Advice/Opinion of watch connoisseurs of this comunity

1. OmegaRody Jan 5, 2022

I had brought this "idea" before but didnt had the idea as sharp and fluid as now.

I own a OP 41 grey dial with gold accented markers. I find this watch to be the most luxurious looking of all colors but for some reason the tiffany blue had gotten all the hype and price rises(something I find a little senseless) Also the red, yellow and green had gotten little price hikes. As for the silver dial I concluded it had gotten about $2000 more expensive in a year. It had been the one that less increases.

I had been loooking at other rolex models most older than the op some contemporary ,1 or 2 newer like the explorer 2 tone edition. Do you think this watch will eventually rise price considerably and better keep or it is not risky to change for another I find better looking even it is older model?
    Of course you can take more considerations into account than investment/price wise.

2. Evitzee Jan 5, 2022

Stand in the corner of any used watch store, the main watches that get the attention are Patek Philippe and Rolex. These two outfits, particularly PP, have been masters at promoting their own watches. They hype a particular model, like the PP Nautilus, and a watch that was shunned as being out of date and not particularly attractive is all of a sudden the hottest watch in the world. This doesn't happen on its own, it's the result of a carefully coordinated program. All of a sudden Tiffany blue dials are the greatest thing in the last 30 years on PP and Rolex dials. Do you think it happened because these dials are so naturally attractive, or because of a coordinated marketing effort? It's a business, and there are lots of people who will buy into it. Whether you play the game is up to you, it's a personal decision.

watch3s, ChiefMark, Paedipod and 3 others like this.
  3. OmegaRody Jan 5, 2022

Certainly its a marketing effort.

4. DoctorEvil Jan 5, 2022

IMHO I think it's a fad. Whilst these watches with bright colourful dials are trendy and sought after now, they may not be so in a few years time. Stick with the classic designs. You can't go wrong with those. They will match with a wider variety of clothes and hold their value better in the longer term.

Archer, watch3s, ChiefMark and 2 others like this.
  5. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Jan 6, 2022

Trying to second guess which watches will appreciate more than others has never worked for me so I just buy what I like after careful consideration.
    Then again I have never sold a watch yet either.;)

watch3s, ChiefMark, IDXM and 2 others like this.
  6. Donn Chambers Jan 7, 2022

I assume you bought the watch because you liked they way it looked and enjoy wearing it. In that case, who cares if it hasn’t risen substantially in value over other models? Just wear it and enjoy it.

If you did buy it as an investment, then sell it and put the money in the stock market. Just remember, though, an online dealer may be selling your watch for $2000 more than you paid for it, but he will not PAY you that much. And selling a watch yourself is a minefield of scams, so be careful.

watch3s, johnireland and OmegaRody like this.
  7. TheGreekPhysique Jan 7, 2022

Rise in price? Yes. Considerably? depends on your definition I guess. I view those more common color dials as always in demand and will therefor have a more stable price point that will likely increase over time and those other dials to be much more volatile.

8. OmegaRody Jan 8, 2022

thats true it is an stressful endeavor indeed.

9. OmegaRody Jan 8, 2022

You got a point maybe its temporary hype.

TheGreekPhysique likes this.
  10. Dan S Jan 8, 2022

These threads that try to predict future valuations of modern watches make my eyes glaze over. I see absolutely no reason why a common OP 41 should rise in price considerably, maybe yes, maybe no. If there is a watch that you would enjoy more, you should definitely trade your watch for that one.

watch3s and Gav1967 like this.
  11. ChiefMark Jan 8, 2022

I hate thinking of any of my watches as an investment. I want to wear them and enjoy them. You can’t do that when your always wondering if the value is going up, or if you should leave a sticker on the case back to keep it pristine, or scared you might rest your wrist on the desk and scratch the bracelet. Screw that noise. Wear it.

Edited Jan 8, 2022
  12. watch3s Jan 9, 2022

the value is in the enjoyment of the watch. If you buy watches for the investment value, you are most likely going to lose your money. That is partially why this mess is currently happening. People speculating on watches and grabbing watches hoping they'll rise in value. Fomo and hype are poor market fundamentals.

DoctorEvil and morningtundra like this.
  13. morningtundra Jan 9, 2022

Also those buying new pieces to hand down to their children in 20-30 years... they're presuming a lot about the future.

Dan S likes this.
  14. morningtundra Jan 9, 2022

I think those bright dials won't age very well. A bit like buying a lime green Porsche. Striking for a while but soon, passe. I suspect they'll perform like those 'Daytona Beach' Daytonas. They fell out of fashion and looked gaudy, then became collectible again among a small dedicated group. Or it could go like the bubblebacks - the bottom dropped out and they never really recovered.

Dan S likes this.