Forums Latest Members

Advice on vintage Seamaster Cosmic (newbie posting!)

1. RasmusTJ Nov 10, 2014

Hello forum!

I am looking for the first watch to start off my watch collection, and having a budget up to around $600-700 I have found that a vintage Seamaster could provide what I am looking for.

I'm from Denmark and have found this listing on the leading Danish marketplace:
    http://www.dba.dk/herreur-omega-omega-seama/id-1011572478/

I simply love the crosshair dial that this Seamaster has, but I also think the vintage Seamaster program is a jungle! Are there any difference in the desirability of the submodels such as the Cosmic, DeVille, Geneve, 30 etc.?

It is being sold by a private seller. He writes that the watch runs well, keeps accurate time and has an original crown. It has a new (unoriginal) strap, but no box or papers. He mentions that it was serviced last year, but has no receipt to document it. The price equals $450.

I would love to hear some thoughts on the condition and price of the watch. Could I do far better on eBay? I hope the pictures are good enough for you to make judgements.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards
    Rasmus

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 10, 2014

Welcome to the forum Rasmus

Watch looks okay. Dial appears origiinal although a bigger and more defined pic would allow that to be confirmed. Price seems average for a mid-500 series calibre Cosmic.

3. RasmusTJ Nov 11, 2014

Thank you very much mondodec!

I'm glad to hear that the initial impression of the watch is positive - I think I am going to contact the seller :)

4. Varasc Nov 11, 2014

It's a lovely model, I have a very similar one, simple and superb watches.

5. RasmusTJ Nov 11, 2014

I totally agree with you Varasc. I'm falling in love with it more and more every time I see it! :)

BillyCwright and Varasc like this.
  6. RasmusTJ Nov 11, 2014

Okay, so I bought the watch. I was able to get it for just under $420 with shipping included - now I can't wait for it to arrive! :)

Hijak and Mothra like this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 11, 2014

Congratulations, please post photos once it arrives.

8. RasmusTJ Nov 12, 2014

Thank you X350 XJR! Actually, my girlfriend insisted that it should be my christmas present from her this year, so I can't promise when the pictures will be up :)