Forums Latest Members
  1. excelsi Aug 3, 2012

I'm looking around to buy a vintage omega seamaster, and after a little research it's clear to me that you have to be critical to the information given, atleast when buying from ebay. I'm not looking for a bargain, just a nice watch with a little history, but i would prefer if the watch is as close to original as possible and don't want to pay unreasonably much for a watch which to me seems to be quite common. I've found one piece on ebay which interest me, and if anyone could give me any opinions or advice it would be much appreciated! From what i understand atleast the serial number should match the case and year produced.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-24j...868660584?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item2320791168Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 3, 2012

Is there something strange about that bracelet? The endlinks are nothing like the BoRs I have and it doesn't seem to fit correctly, can't speak to the rest of the watch but that one part looks unusual, unless maybe its a USA spec version or something...

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 3, 2012

Yep it has the wrong end-pieces for these lugs. IN other words the lugs are too long for the end-piece and seem to be 17mm rather than 18mm.

It checks out as a 14701. Dial is original. Still looks to be some radium at the base of the markers. Crown is a rpelacement most likely. Case is well polished and the lugs have lost a bit of their sharpness. Overall a honest watch-head, but probably newly introduced BOR

Cheers

Desmond

4. ulackfocus Aug 3, 2012

Yep, the lugs are too long for those end links. The rest looks pretty good! :thumbsup:

5. excelsi Aug 8, 2012

Thanks alot for the answers! I guess it's not a steal but have I clearly overpaid if I got it for 415$? It's on it's way to me right now and I am going to use a leather strap instead of the bracelet included, but if I want to use the bracelet, can I buy a 18mm end link and use the bracelet included or is the whole bracelet the wrong size? I'm thinking of buying new hour/minute hands, do anyone know which lenght these would be (found 3 different on Ofrei) and do you recommend to do this or should a clean up of the watch do the job? Also is it recommended to have it serviced before i use it? A lot of question but as a newbie to vintage omega watches any help is appreciated!

6. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 8, 2012

I don't think you have over-paid. The market has basically spoken. It's a cal 562 and the movement looks pretty clean. The bracelet, if sold separately and with appropriate end-pieces, would sell for 150.00 on a good day. So, only the end-pieces are problematic.

Hmm, unless you can get the exact same hands I would leave it. Maybe ask your watchmaker or a watchmaker of repute if he knows someone who can re-plate or polish the hands. Unless you can actually establish that the watch has been serviced, I would source a good older watchmaker who has worked on Omega vintage and have him dismantle, clean and oil the watch.