Forums Latest Members

Advice on vintage seamaster 166.028 black dial on eBay

1. amiriqbal Dec 1, 2017

Hi all,

Newbie to this forum and been having a good read through. Very impressive knowledge base from the members.

I'm looking to buy a vintage seamaster, preferably black dial, but after reading the Fish thread I understand that as a noob probably better to go for a silver.

Anyways I have seen the following on ebay :

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-OM...OVEMENT-GOLD-1022-BLACK-DIAL-BOX/182906553880Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Have messaged the chap to ask if a redial and waiting for a reply.

What do you guys think?
    Also, if not a redial, does the price seem high??

Thanks in advance for your help

2. ConElPueblo Dec 1, 2017

If it wasn't a redial, which it naturally is, and overpolished* it would still be expensive.

*which it, naturally, is...

amiriqbal likes this.
  3. habrisbane Dec 1, 2017

too expensive.

amiriqbal likes this.
  4. amiriqbal Dec 1, 2017

LoL.

After reading your Fish thread, it does seem pretty obvious I suppose. Though I appreciate your confirmation :)

5. amiriqbal Dec 1, 2017

Had a good read of the redial thread, the gist being, I gather, the consensus is to avoid them....

However, I was just on the Austin kaye Pre-Owned-Watches site and noticed that they claim that several of their vintage omegas have been refurbed by Omega.

Being the original manufacturers, I wonder what the view from the community is on this?

I do get the point that it is somewhat counterintuitive to buy a vintage watch and still want it to look shiny and new.

The difficulty for noobs like me, is we don't have the knowledge to be safe from being ripped off.

I think I may just wait and keep an eye on the for sale thread from here.

I recently bought a second hand tag monaco which has ignited my watch buying infernos. After looking at loads of watches for the last week I find that I am drawn to the vintage Omegas.

I tend to dress very smartly for work, wearing a three peice suit, and I think a vintage dress watch, like a seamaster, constellation etc will look really cool and fit better than the monaco for my day to day wear.

It alos seems to be a good value for money option compared to other options.

Thanks for your input guys, you're all a very friendly bunch and hopefully, as my knowledge increases, I will be able to pay back the goodwill that I've been shown, by contributing actively to future threads :)

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 1, 2017

Criminally overpriced. :mad:

Temprus and amiriqbal like this.
  7. Temprus Dec 2, 2017

Overpriced!

8. Edward53 Dec 2, 2017

@amiriqbal a good vintage Constellation or Seamaster looks great with a suit, in SS is best IMO but of course tastes differ. There are two types of newbie purchasers: those who just want a shiny-looking watch, buy one, never do any more research and are eternally happy with it (unless they come here and start asking questions); and then there are those who want their watch to be a fine original example and correct in every detail. From the tone of your posts I am guessing you are in the second category. In which case the patience of a saint is your best friend. I suggest taking time to work out which style you like best and learn the "tells", then consider buying one from the sales forum here. Ebay can yield great results but only if you know what you are doing. Not all professional sellers churn out overpriced crap but about 95% of them do. Good luck!

amiriqbal and Larry S like this.
  9. amiriqbal Dec 2, 2017

This is great advice, thanks @Edward53.

Looks like I will have to calm my impulse to buy for now

10. dan7800 Dec 2, 2017

Look in the for sale section of the forum. There are consistently black dialed seamsters for sale that are authentic.

You did the right thing by asking BEFORE buying.

GordonL and amiriqbal like this.
  11. peatnick Dec 2, 2017

Fixed that for you, POTUS 44 said "keep hope alive!"

Edward53 and amiriqbal like this.
  12. amiriqbal Dec 2, 2017

After perusing eBay with my (limited) knowledge base, you are spot on.

I've become less fixated on the colour and more on the overall quality of the peice. Some very nice watches on here for sale. Just need to build up my posting numbers so I can buy one!!

peatnick likes this.
  13. peatnick Dec 2, 2017

Posting minimum only applies to selling here or posting WTB

You can contact a seller by using the message function

amiriqbal and dan7800 like this.
  14. GordonL Dec 2, 2017

you don't need 200 to buy - just message the seller.

+1 to all the advice to stay away from Ebay and scan the For Sale listings here every day....

having said that, it is instructive to search Ebay just to see what dross looks like, and to learn how to read the seller's blurb very carefully. The black dial Seamaster guy does not say anywhere that the dial is original. You have to be like a lawyer to read and fully understand exactly what is being said (or more usually, what is NOT being said...)

Edited Dec 2, 2017
    amiriqbal likes this.
  15. amiriqbal Dec 2, 2017

Very sagely advice :)

Have my eye on a few on the forum here, so now I know I can buy, will be sending out some PMs!!

16. GordonL Dec 2, 2017

good move!

I am not clever/experienced enough to know an "original" black dial from a "refinished" black dial, but the consensus among the good folks on this forum is that 99% of the ones you see on Ebay are not original. I trust that advice!

amiriqbal likes this.