Forums Latest Members
  1. THE_BARCODE_GUY Apr 6, 2017

I came across a fairly beat-up Speedmaster MK II Racing dial locally and was wondering if you guys think a crystal replacement would be enough to bring it to it's former glory? It's listed as a 1972 with full documentation and comes with an "appraisal" from a jeweler at $2250

Also, is it just me or does the minute hand appear bent upwards?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Apr 6, 2017
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 6, 2017

Looks ok, polished though as these go.

I think the chrono seconds hand is newer than the rest, maybe all the orange hands.

Price, maybe a little high.

3. bnabod Apr 6, 2017

Question, how can you tell about the polish vs someone having taking great care of their watch or it not being worn much? I mean I have had a mkII for over a year and there isn't a mark on jt. Not saying it would like that in 30 years but at this rate I am pretty sure it would look quite good

4. cvrle1 Apr 6, 2017

Original case is more matte and it has sunburst pattern on it. It also has sharp lines on it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OP one is shinier, lines are duller and there is no sunburst effect, or at least as much as there should be. It is common to shine cases up as people that dont know what it should look like originally are drawn to shiny, polished case. It looks clean and there are no dings, so people think it is in great shape, when that is not the case at all.

OP watch wasnt over-polished, from what crappy pics show, but it was polished at some time surely.

EDIT: Here is an example of really over-polished case

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ori...-Mark-II-Swiss-Watch-Wristwatch-/262926451741Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Apr 6, 2017
    Foo2rama and oddboy like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Apr 7, 2017

I'd want better photos of the OP watch before making really sharp judgement. As far as I can see, it looks very decent. Not unworn, but very decent.

TNTwatch and Davidt like this.
  6. timestamp Apr 7, 2017

But I'd say this example is "polished" (refinished) as well, although very well done.

Albe100, TNTwatch and Davidt like this.
  7. bnabod Apr 7, 2017

Agreed especially when the key shot is out of focus

8. cvrle1 Apr 7, 2017

These were 2 different watches :)

9. Misterred Apr 9, 2017

I think price is a little too high but the watch looks good. Case is indeed polished but all of them for sale seem to be. Dial is original and still has good fresh colors. Chrono (orange) hands are probably replacement hands. They are too bright and vivid for a 45 year old watch.