Forums Latest Members

Advice on this Datejust 1601?

1. WatchmakerTheory Feb 6, 2017

I don't want to seem rude by posting a second opinion thread while my first one is less than a week old, but I would certainly appreciate the community's input on one other watch I'm looking at.

Here's the other Datejust I'm looking at. This one is a ref 1601, with the serial number dating it to 1969. The watch is being sold as recently serviced, a claim that I find believable since the watch is for sale from a store that specializes in watches.

The seller claims that the watch is all original, including the dial. I did notice, however, that the lume plots on the dial are a different color than the lume on the hands. Does this suggest that a part has been replaced or refinished?

The seller is asking for $2400. This, to me, seems to be on the higher end of what I'd consider "fair," but if the watch is indeed 100% original, I might not mind as much.

I have a call with the seller later today. Any criticisms or thoughts would be appreciated and helpful!

s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg
  2. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Feb 6, 2017

I personally would continue looking.
    I think your gut instinct about the price is right.
    Who knows, you may spend a couple hundred more and end up with a finer example and a bracelet.
    Good luck!

WatchmakerTheory and watchknut like this.
  3. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Feb 6, 2017

What he said...tutone DJs are rather easy to find, and at good prices too.

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  4. ncstate1201 Feb 6, 2017

Agreed with the other posters keep looking not to mention who knows how many of these were produced

WatchmakerTheory likes this.
  5. WatchmakerTheory Feb 6, 2017

Thanks for the feedback; I'll keep looking :)