Forums Latest Members
  1. Dream99 Nov 28, 2011

Hi.
    I have just enquired to Regent London Boutique if they have in stock to Speedmaster Moonwatch "Moon to Mars" numbered edition. I have asked them to hold until the weekend when I can get there to see it in person. but wondered meantime can anyone tell me if they think this is a good watch to add to a collection?. Has anyone this watch in their collection? I think it looks great and being slightly differant than just the black dial. Your comments will be very helpful. I will try to attach a photo of it. Many thanks Alan

35775000-50.jpg

2. SynMike Nov 28, 2011

I've had one for a couple of years. It is not as popular as many other moon related models, but it seems some people really love it. Whe it was introduced some people on watch forums bashed it saying that it hasn't been on Mars - so its a watch that represents an event that hasn't happened yet. But Omega originally said it was to recognize the fact that NASA added Mars as target for exploration. Of course, Mars research is ongoing today. I'm only guessing but I think Omega just made up the story to justify because they thought they had a cool design to sell. I don't care whether the justification makes sense or not, I like the watch anyway. Some people say that the printing of the graphics on the subdials is too coarse but I think they have only seen photos online - the watch is often magnified bigger than real life - it looks good in person. I bought mine from a store where the owner thought it was kind of ugly so I got a great deal on mine. I think it looks great and it gets compliments from time to time. The subdials make it unique - I think they are beautiful. But it is harder to make out the markers on the chronograph subdials if you use this for timing functions often. It is more form over function.

I may sell mine in the near future. I need to raise some money and either this or my Planet Ocean will probably have to go.

Here are a few more photos that show mine in different light:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. SynMike Nov 28, 2011

Here is Omega's original press release announcing this model:

PRESS
    Back to Press overview
    18 April 2004
    FROM THE MOON TO MARS
    In the early years of the third millennium, we find ourselves at the dawn of an exciting new era in space exploration. As we get used to seeing crystal-clear colour images of Mars almost on a daily basis thanks to the huge success of the Spirit and Opportunity Mars Exploration Rovers, it's easy to forget that we are looking at a world that is hundreds of millions of miles away. Thanks to the ambitious goals of NASA and mankind's inherent curiosity and thirst for knowledge, we can look forward to more exciting decades of space exploration on the way from the Moon to Mars...
    Though the first maps of Mars date back to the early 17th century, mankind's first "close encounter" with the red planet was in 1965, when the American probe Mariner 4 sent back 21 images. Thanks to the prevailing political environment stimulating the space race between Americans and Soviets, it was only 4 years later that mankind took its first steps on the Moon. Whilst other lunar landings followed, with the end of the Cold War space exploration concentrated more on scientific and research aspects, centred on the use of the space shuttle and space stations. Now, fuelled by the success of the two Mars Rover projects and the commitment of US President George W. Bush in January 2004, a new impetus has been injected into space exploration with the prospect of a return to the Moon, this time as a staging post for mankind's ultimate challenge - the conquest of Mars.
    The programme is highly ambitious: robotic exploration of the Moon in 2008; a new Crewed Exploration Vehicle (CEV) in the same year; the first CEV flight in 2014; extended human space missions by 2015 and a return to the Moon by 2020. The challenges are immense and the questions remain as numerous now as they did before the first moon missions. NASA's recent successful test of the revolutionary X-43A scramjet aircraft, 100 years after the first human flight, is the shape of things to come. But numerous other obstacles will have to be overcome, the solutions to which will undoubtedly bring further innovations and new technology that will ultimately benefit mankind as a whole.
    Today's planners do at least have a head-start over those entrusted with the Apollo missions. In the infancy of space exploration, these pioneers were essentially faced with a blank piece of paper, with no existing space technology to build on. Every component, every item of equipment had to be tested to its limits before being approved for use in space. Even the wristwatches chosen for the astronauts had to pass tests that many of today's watches would fail. So tough were the tests in fact that only one watch was still working at the end: the Omega Speedmaster. It was therefore purely on its own merits that this Omega chronograph became the only watch to be flight-qualified for manned space missions and subsequently the first and only watch to be worn on the moon. The Soviets subsequently equipped their cosmonauts with the same watch as the Americans, though since they covered their needs through anonymous government purchase orders, the people at Omega were none the wiser. Although the company's association with space exploration came about without it knowing, Omega has since maintained a close relationship with the major space agencies and some of the astronauts that have worn the Speedmaster.
    In the year that we celebrate the 35th anniversary of the moon landing that catapulted the Speedmaster into watchmaking stardom, the Omega Speedmaster Professional remains as popular as ever, with its "flight-qualified" credentials still serving as a guarantee of its robustness and precision. Having successfully withstood the journey to the moon and a short stay on its surface during various Apollo missions, the Speedmaster could quite conceivably return there with the astronauts in 2020. However, a voyage to Mars would impose new constraints on watches and timekeeping (and, no doubt, even stricter tests by NASA). In addition to coping with an average temperature of - 53°C, as well as local, regional and global dust storms, the Mars watch may also need to take into account the longer Martian day (the "sol"), which is equivalent to 1.027 Earth days.
    Leaving the designers and watchmakers to ponder these new, tougher specifications, Omega is pleased to introduce a special timepiece to record this new turning-point in space exploration. The special-edition Speedmaster "From the Moon the Mars" bears all the hallmarks of the original "Moon Watch", with the same robust case, functional bezel with tachymeter scale and sober matt black dial with luminous baton hands. It also shares the hand-wound calibre 1861 that is legendary among mechanical watch enthusiasts for its precision and reliability, offering a power reserve of 45 hours when fully wound. The transfers of the Earth, the Moon and Mars in the chronograph counters and small seconds counter on the dial clearly indicate the commemorative purpose of this timepiece, as does the inscription "From the Moon to Mars" found on the dial between 5 and 3 o'clock as well as engraved on the case back. As a further touch of exclusivity, each piece also bears its own individual sequential number on the case back.
    One thing that's sure is that when mankind does eventually return to the moon, these special Speedmaster models will still be ticking away, just as the first watch worn on the moon - lost for over 30 years but found again last year - is still going strong. And in the meantime, we will continue to innovate and pioneer in its field, working to ensure that, if any member of the human race sets foot on Mars, he or she will do so wearing an Omega.

4. Dream99 Nov 28, 2011

Wow Mike, that is some reply ypu posted and very helpful for me to see the watch much better. (That watch looks great on you by the way) and I think I will want it when seen in person on the weekend . I sort of was considering another Omega but may change my mind for the speedy instead. Thanks again.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 28, 2011

This piece, while not being a limited edition, is a fairly short production run, and numbered. There are fewer of these than most LE Speedmasters (Apollo 40th Anniversary Limited Edition was 10k+).

Also with the Curiosity rover heading to the surface of Mars, leaving earth only 3 days ago and arriving August 2012, this piece is more relevant now than ever before. Who knows, 20, 30, or 40 years from now when man first sets foot on the martian surface, these may become something very special.

6. Dream99 Dec 8, 2011

Hi
    I had planned to see this watch last weekend in the London Boutique as they had one before making my decision, but Christmas shopping got in the way and never got there. However as I loved Mikes photos so much I realised I did not need to see it in person, so I just went for it. I asked my AD if they could get one and after a few phone calls they said they could but it could take around 3-4 weeks to come in. I think its worth the wait as I will get my discount now, which I would not have done from the Boutique. Alas though another waiting game......But its all in a good cause!!!.

7. Steve Dec 8, 2011

The Moon to Mars is a great looking watch. Omega do tend to release a lot of limited editions all very nice, most have good reason to be released.
    I have the 40th anniversary Apollo 11 Moonwatch. Ashley there were 7969 pieces produced not 10k. But I agree Omega do tend to over produce there 'Limited editions'.