Forums Latest Members
  1. JeroenvdR Dec 2, 2014

Hi guys,

I'm able to buy this speedmaster pro st145.022 with the caliber 861 from 1986, but I'm not really sure about the watch. What cab any of you tell me about it in terms of authenticity, redial and so on.

All the advice and opinions are more then welcome.

Thanks in advance..!
    imagejpg2_zps719cfb60.jpg imagejpg3_zps0b279439.jpg imagejpg4_zps2c9fcbb9.jpg imagejpg1_zps2a442989.jpg

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 2, 2014

Chrono 24 ?

Tend to be dealers - so watches "prepared" and more money than I have ever been prepared to pay.

3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Dec 2, 2014

Ah :) Check your e-mail! :)

Appears to be OK and the bracelet is a reference 1450, which is quite nice actually. Hands, bezel and dial look time-correct. If the price is right, do it. If the seller is a professional dealer/seller on Chrono24, make sure you will get some warranty of some sort. Also ask about service history and whether there is any proof of that.

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 3, 2014

So this deserves a more measured response.

The 1980's speedmasters are just at the low point in the curve value wise (more like a flat line until mid 1990's). The previous references, with the date marked inside the caseback are progressively more desired as they get older. Speedmasters made after 1980's tend to cost the same up until they become second hand, as opposed to vintage.

This watch is not a rare model, there are literally dozens available at any one time - Okay you would have to search every online auction and shop but they are out there in far greater numbers than the more vintage speedmasters. So, really you can afford to be choosy, and buy the one that really floats your boat. It doesn't have to be perfect, unless you pay a perfect price. Then it does have to be perfect and you need to make sure if paying top money.

For me, if a watch is inexpensive, I can forgive anything, and it gives me pleasure in spite of its shortcomings - as long as I know about them before I buy.. Conversely if a watch is just as I like, I don't care how much I pay if it is, to me, a kind of perfection.

The watch in the first post is a great watch if it is cheap. It almost certainly will need a $600 service - there are Speedmasters from this era that have not even had one service - the cost of the service has at times been a very significant percentage of the value and so they were quite often just put in the proverbial sock drawer. To expensive to throw away but not valuable enough to service.

The hands are missing some lume, not a disaster, The dial has an attractive patina to it. The case is very clean. One of the pushers is new and the other old. Why? A proper service replaces both.

To sum up, for a price, it is a great watch. Its all about the price.

If it is selling for significantly more than ebays completed sales list for Omega 145.022, then its not going to please you if you buy it.

Here is one unsold so far at Euros 2250. Its better than the one in the OP but provides a price idea:

$_57a.JPG

I wish you all the best in your hunt......

Edited Dec 3, 2014
    robinhook, TLIGuy and John R Smith like this.
  5. sulaco Dec 6, 2014

I think the 1450 makes the difference here, Its still very sought after and expensive.

TLIGuy likes this.
  6. JeroenvdR Dec 8, 2014

Thanx for the advice, guys. I just bought the watch for € 1700,-, so I'm pretty sure I've made a good deal. It turned out to be a 1985 speed master, since we've opened up the case and the caliber 861 looked great. The copper all looked the same color, so no problems there. The watch has been serviced recently and I've got a two year warranty.

The 1450 bracelet is just lightly brushed (not my first choice) and looks absolutely great. There seem to be some room/space between the links, but not very much.

So I'm wondering, is this a bracelet for "every" day use or does the links loosen very quickly?

7. TLIGuy Dec 8, 2014

I think the 1450 is a beautiful bracelet and perfect for everyday wear. I've worn mine for a couple years now and it's still as tight as the day I bought it. I've never been a fan of setting aside rare or expensive bracelets to preserve them unless you plan to sell it off later. You have a beautiful piece that looks stunning on the 1450 so enjoy it.