Advice on Potential Purchase

I've been considering purchasing a vintage Omega Seamaster and have been looking at various models from the early sixties. This model became available at a pawn store near me and looks good in person. However, from some of the information i've read online there are many vintage Seamasters which are in actuality "frankenwatches" that have mismatched parts or touched up dials. I've been trying to do my research and even still I'm not sure I could spot these problems if I were looking at them without any assistance. Further still, I'm not sure how much issues such as the damage and on the back of the case might be a factor that will devalue this watch in question. Can anyone familiar with this watch please let me know what they think of this watch in the pictures and what a ballpark valuation might be in your opinion. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance for any advice you may offer me.

Information from seller: Asking price 1250.00
Running on time! Pre-owned, no band, and no papers. Wear and tear consistent with age.

Omega Seamaster automatic ref 14774-SC-62, with 34mm stainless steel case with deeply embossed Seamaster logo caseback, circa 1962. Original silver satin dial with applied metal indexes and matching dauphine hands. Powered by self winding calibre 550 movement.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Opens image gallery
s-l500.jpg

-
s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Though1250 is way too much imo

Thank you! It seemed a little much to me. I feel like most I've seen that look similar have been about 800 give or take. But once again I'm new to this.

You should take a look at this listing. I think it matches what you're looking for and it's price is very realistic :thumbsup:

Case back inside engraving is laser engraved, I think. Something very fishy...... Take care. Kind regards. Achim

Case back inside engraving is laser engraved, I think. Something very fishy...... Take care. Kind regards. Achim
In your opinion, maybe a fake or non-original aftermarket part?

This is very expensive for a generic Omega in average condition with a heavily gouged caseback and 17 jewel 5xx movement. The finishing inside the caseback also looks suspect but it is so overpriced that I didn't give it much thought.

That is expensive. Have a look at the forum private sales. If you are patient you can get a very good watch at a decent price on OF.

Welcome!
$1200 seems *steep*, given the model and condition. I'd hold out for something in better shape and at a better price.

Welcome!
$1200 seems *steep*, given the model and condition. I'd hold out for something in better shape and at a better price.
What do you think would be an appropriate price range for something in this condition? Just wondering. I’m not going to pursue it but just want to know for future reference when I’m out there looking. Thank you for your help!

You should take a look at this listing. I think it matches what you're looking for and it's price is very realistic :thumbsup:
This is a nice price for a great looking watch- if you want a seamaster- reach out via PM to the seller.

Another good set of advice is to be patient. Believe me it's easy to make an impulsive decision and then later come to regret it. We've all been there ;)

Another good set of advice is to be patient. Believe me it's easy to make an impulsive decision and then later come to regret it. We've all been there ;)
Sounds like my first marriage ::facepalm2::