Forums Latest Members

Advice on possible purchase please

1. Elbows Sep 15, 2019

Hi,
    I'm sorely tempted by a De Ville GMT I've seen on Chrono24. The seller as listed as trusted since 2011. The watch is listed as new with box and papers even though it was manufactured around 2006. So that has made me wonder for a start...

Should I put the a link to it? (Please don't buy it!!)

I asked the seller if it has been serviced, and they just say 'the watch is new has never been used or opened has an international warranty of two years from the date of purchase'.

Can anyone offer any advice on how I should proceed please? I feel this could be one of those 'watches that got away' if I don't get one (as very few are available) but obviously don't want to get stung.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chrono24 guarantee?

Many thanks.

2. weimi1 Sep 15, 2019

Chrono24 does not give warranty, the warranty had too come from the dealer. There are always watches that were not sold and only later appear on the market. If it were a real Omega dealer you would even get a 5 year warranty on the watch if he sold it now. A link would help.

3. Elbows Sep 16, 2019

Hi weimi1,
    Thanks for your reply. Sorry I was unclear, I meant experience with the Chrono24 Buyer Protection and/or Authenticity Guarantee, e.g. did the process run smoothly if you needed to return as item.

I guess the 2 year dealer warranty is because that's what it was when the watch was released...?

Here's the link to the watch: https://www.chrono24.co.uk/omega/de...el-on-steel-reference-45335000--id5867816.htm

Thanks.

4. weimi1 Sep 16, 2019

So far, unfortunately, I had no complaints with Chrono24, the purchases were so far without problems.
    I would ask him who stamps the warranty card, should it be currently stamped then, by an official dealer, you would have a 5 year warranty, applies to all watches that are now sold, even for the old models.

5. mjb Sep 17, 2019

I tried Chrono24 as a seller, and they did require me to supply government ID for "verification" but that was the extent of their "thorough vetting process". I suppose the escrow payment system does protect you if the watch is not as described or is not authentic. As they always say, buy the seller, not the watch. So, assuming that it is authentic, really your only concern is are you paying too much?

And no, I would not expect a NOS watch to have been serviced, regardless of the age. With that in mind, if it's that old you may want to have it serviced sooner than usual, just because those oils do age and dry up even without use. At 13 years old, that's a big consideration and you may want to adjust your financial expectations accordingly.

Good luck!