Forums Latest Members
  1. Lingli Jan 2, 2022

Hi,

First of all, thank you for all the advice we can find here.

I’m quite a newbie in watches and I want to buy my first vintage watch.

I found this vintage Omega (2451-2 written on the inside of the caseback). I assume that it was redial but the price is quite low. I wanted your opinion on it nevertheless : is it poorly redial ? Is it in a good condition according to you ? And finally, does it look authentic ;) ?

Thank you !

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][/url] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] change photo to jpeg[/IMG]

2. wagudc Jan 2, 2022

The first couple pictures didn't come through, so I don't have all the information, but it does look like a redail to me, and for most collectors there is no such thing as a "good" redail. The case looks pretty heavily polished, and the movie a little tired. Chronographs are expensive to service and parts are not readily available for this one, as far as I know. I would pass on this one.

Lingli likes this.
  3. ApolloXVII Jan 2, 2022

Hi..i am not an expert but how do you figure that this is a redial..? Just to learn how to look in the future..Thank you.

4. wagudc Jan 2, 2022

Quickest tell here is the cleanliness of the white dial compared to the condition of the rest of the watch. The big hour ticks are too thick and I think not all the perfect length (this is hard to tell without a straight on shot though). Sometimes it is hard to articulate, but if you have seen enough of these watches from this era, it just looks wrong.

5. wagudc Jan 2, 2022

I should add that I am not an expert, but not a complete novice. I would be shocked if I were wrong here.

6. Lingli Jan 2, 2022

Thank you for your answer, and you're right i'm afraid of the service cost as well !

7. Dan S Jan 2, 2022

Is that a 10M serial number? If so, it is from ~1945. The dial is clearly not that old, but I can't really get a good look at it. It could possibly be a later service dial and handset, if there is such a thing. The dial and hands probably don't go together, since the hands hold lume.

Lingli likes this.
  8. Lingli Jan 2, 2022

Here is the last picture i got...

1641071661 (5).jpeg
  9. mac_omega Jan 3, 2022

The easiest and most accurate tell is the shape of the Omega logo - this looks to be late 60ies/70ies wheras the movement is from around 1945

10. Geezer Jan 3, 2022

Redial (and not an attractive one)
    Heavily refinished case
    Hands not original (and missing lume)
    Movement likely has issues (regulator is way out of position)

It might be a functional watch, but it has a lot of issues. Personally I would consider it for spare parts only...

Sorry to sound harsh.

Lingli and Mark020 like this.
  11. Lingli Jan 3, 2022

Well thanks, i decided not to buy it :D

Geezer likes this.