Forums Latest Members

Advice on my (potentially) first vintage Longines...

1. Kimega Jan 16, 2019

Hello community! Posting-Newbie here. I have read plenty of advice between others for a little over a year from this forum and have used that advice to secure my first couple of Omega's (a couple of late '40's Seamasters I believe I will never part with). The collection has grown to include different brands as I learned. I have been researching vintage Longines but find it difficult to determine fact from fiction. Currently two for sale on "The Bay". Both have docs from the Heritage dept at Longines that look legitimate. The watches both look legitimate but are significantly different in case dia and style; age and blued hands are similar. I am looking for advice on considerations (not valuation!). What would you do?! Thanks in advance if you make the time.

Top pic with 33.5mm case but great looking lugs IMHO:
    Bottom pic with 37.5mm case with aged dial:
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. GuiltyBoomerang Jan 16, 2019

Hey there!

The top one, IMO, has had a massive polish to the point of the case looking very soft.

The bottom one, in comparison, seems to have been spared and appears to be a step case in stainless steel. Suspect is the crown, which is slightly off angle (suggesting a mangled stem/setting lever). The dial appears legit, though more experienced Longines collectors can add more.

Would you have more pictures of the 2nd one for analysis?

qboa and AveConscientia like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 16, 2019

4. Kimega Jan 16, 2019

I agree with you except the hoodinkee pics are a bit too "engineered" on the patina. If only history was that perfect; lol! I will agree they are nice looking pieces though. Hands are a way overdone.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Kimega Jan 16, 2019

I shouldn't say agree as I'm not sure how you feel about the new military.

6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 16, 2019

It’s an interesting piece with the uniquely applied patina. Early reviews are positive... I’ll wait till I see one in person. :)

Kimega likes this.
  7. fbf Jan 17, 2019

Not sure about the 1st one, dial looks okay, crown looks like replacement , case looks to be heavily polished

2nd one looks like a redial to me

8. Kimega Jan 17, 2019

Thanks for the opinion. I agree on the case polishing for the top pic. I also think the dial looks legit and am hoping to get a little more opinion on it. The larger case is gold filled I believe. Here's a better pic of the crown from the eBay posting. Doesn't look crooked from this angle. Looks like others pointed this out as the listing changed to add an additional pic of the crown.

. Ebay posting numbers are below if you are interested in more photos of either piece (sorry, I don't know how to insert a link!).

Ebay postings: 352567923182 & 292916143503.

I think I'll just monitor the auction while I wonder....

image.jpeg
  9. Kimega Jan 17, 2019

Thanks fbf. What tips you off on the redial?

10. raider44 Jan 18, 2019

11. fbf Jan 18, 2019

I am no longines expert but the “longines” writing on the dial bothers me and the minute hand is also questionable.
    My limited experience tells me the alphabet on the dial normally has similar font as the sub dial which is not the case here.
    Again, I am not trying to convince you this is a “redial” rather pointing out what I see.

Longines achieve only verifies the caliber, case and year of production. It cannot verify the dial, hands etc...

12. chipsotoole Mar 5, 2019

I found this in a junk shop today along with a very nice vintage solid silver 16mm/14mm bracelet (don't see those very often). watch will need fixing..paid about 60 Euros for both!!
    Any idea what calibre it is. seems to hail from 1942/43
    IMG_3701.jpeg IMG_3703.jpeg IMG_3725.jpeg IMG_3728.jpeg

Edited Mar 5, 2019
  13. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Mar 5, 2019

Nice find. It is a caliber 23M. A component of the shock-protection and the regulator are missing but these can be sourced.

chipsotoole likes this.
  14. chipsotoole Mar 5, 2019

thanks for that!