Forums Latest Members
  1. Gav Aug 27, 2018

Hi.

I'd be grateful for some advice regarding an old Omega wristwatch which belonged to my grandfather.

He was a doctor who graduated from Glasgow University in 1914 and almost immediatly volunteered for the Highland Light Infantry as batallion medical officer. He was awarded the Military Cross at the Somme but later in the war was severely wounded and required amputation of a leg - prior to the war he had been quite an athlete, playing football for Partick Thistle and Motherwell. He continued his medical career after returning from the war but sadly I never got to meet him, as he died at the age of 56. My father kept some of his posessions, including the wristwatch, which I think was the watch he took to war (though I might be wrong about this). The watch has been kept in a draw for the last 50 years or so and unsurprisingly does not work. My father died 5 years ago and my mother earlier this year - the watch re-discovered when the house was recently cleared. I presume it is a fairly standard watch from that era but am wondering if it can be renovated back into working order (and indeed whether this is worth attempting) and how best to look after it.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance. I have attached some pictures which hopefully display the necessary details (I can provide some further images if needed). I haven't tried to open the casing.

Gavin

20180826_181051.jpg 20180826_181100.jpg 20180827_171451.jpg 20180827_171548.jpg

2. Canuck Aug 27, 2018

Great to have. To tell you more, we would need to see what is inside the case, and also the inside of the case back. I have a strong suspicion that this watch is newer than a watch he would have worn in WWI. My guess would be late 1920s or early 1930s. Or perhaps a bit later. Please get back to us.

3. Gav Aug 27, 2018

Many thanks for this. I'll try to open the case - is this easy to do? I don't see any "purcghase" points around the case rim.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 27, 2018

I would recommend taking it to a watchmaker to avoid any damage.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  5. Gav Aug 27, 2018

This sounds like good advice! I'll post some pictures when available.

6. Gav Sep 22, 2018

Finally managed to get some pictures of the inside - though they are unfortunately badly out of focus, so not sure how useful. I'll try to get some better quality shots uploaded. Interstingly, after simply removing the back and replacing, the watch has started again and seems to be keeping reasonable time - not bad after being in a draw for some 50 years or so.

20180922_142156.jpg 20180922_142444.jpg
  7. davidswiss Sep 22, 2018

Unfortunately the pictures are too blurred to read the information or numbers on the caseback or movement.
    Please do not wind the watch to see if it runs, it could damage the movement. It needs to be cleaned and lubricated.
    Take it to a good watchmaker. If you're not sure, give your location and I'm sure someone here will advise on someone local who you can take it to.

stahlmotte likes this.
  8. Gav Sep 22, 2018

Many thanks for the advice. I'll look into local options (in the North Yorkshire area).

9. Gordon Heavyfoot Sep 22, 2018

Looks like the serial starts with a 7 so this would put it around perhaps 1930-33.