Forums Latest Members
  1. JD754 Apr 4, 2014

Hi all,

I've been reading the forum but I've just recently joined. I was hoping to get some feedback on the below Speedy (which would be my first). Based on my research, it seems to be in pretty good condition although the hands have been replaced. I think I struggle to identify whether markers have been re-lumed but in this case I was thinking they have not. Also, I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to judge whether the movement is in good condition. I put it up against another picture and it seems good to me but I was hoping to get a second opinion. Finally, I think the crown and pushers were replaced but I'm not too bothered by that.

Thank you so much and let me know what you think!

Speedy1.jpg Speedy2.jpg Speedy1.jpg Speedy2.jpg Speedy3.jpg
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 4, 2014

You have it pegged pretty well. Hands do look like replacements, doesn't look re-lumed to me. Case has seen both a polish and has wear.

Movement looks ok. I'd want to see the caseback...inside and outside, to see the engraving and model/year stamp.

As always, price should reflect the condition and you should factor in a service.

3. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 4, 2014

Agree, although I still lack the knowledge to determine whether or not hands are original. Depending on the price I would be bothered with the polished worn case. The serial number is hard to make out (probably the intention). If it's a -65 with a beveled back, that's slightly more desireable than a -67 (or -66 HF). Clearly not the -66 CB case here unless the facets were polished away. Lume plots seem original but missing some (wouldn't bother me).
    Without a bracelet and in this condition, I would think you're looking $3.3-$3.5K USD? Value opinions vary widely...

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 4, 2014

That looks good to me. Dial looks nice. Hands new, but replaceable if they bother you, bezel very good, case looks serviceable.

As TE says, let's see the caseback in and out. That way we can know what we are looking at.

If you are looking for opinions on the movement we need focused shots, especially of the teeth of the two lighter coloured wheels. I can tell you that I would service it without a doubt. Look at the hour subdial.

have a look at www.speedmaster101.com. There is a price chart in there somewhere.

5. JD754 Apr 4, 2014

Thanks so much for the responses. I think I see what you're saying with the polished case.

I have attached the caseback below.

Speedy4.jpg Speedy5.jpg
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 4, 2014

I will speak for me and let you make your own conclusion:
    I like the watch as one to wear daily without fear of devaluation. I'll add that I wear ALL my watches carefully, regardless of condition or market value. This one is not really in the condition to make "collectible" status, although any decent c.321 is collectible.
    If you're looking for one to wear and enjoy, and the price is agreeable, do it and post an "incoming" thread. If you're looking for an example as either an investment or simply an example of the breed, I would look for a nicer example. Or maybe you're like me and want it now until a nicer one comes along!

TLIGuy likes this.
  7. JD754 Apr 4, 2014

Can I ask what would bring this one up to "collectible" status?

Are the dial and bezel ok? Is it mostly the fact that the hands were replaced and the case has been polished (or over-polished) that moves this one into the daily wearer category or are there other factors that I'm missing?

Thanks!

8. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 4, 2014

Condition condition condition.

Original dial and hands, case finish, bracelet, etc. all factor in. Original box and papers also add value to many collectors.

Hard to find on a decades-old watch that was intended for hard use as a tool.

9. richardew Apr 4, 2014

I think that it is a nice example of a 145.012 with a polished case. The bezel and dial look fair-good. Those hands don't jump out at me as replaced. They are the correct ones for the watch and they look like they have aged a bit. The photos can be very deceiving. The movement looks to be in good condition. The caseback looks good. I'd buy that watch in a second if the price was right. It's a c321 speedmaster and it's in decent shape. The value of c321 speedys has been steadily increasing. However, if you are looking to invest money, I'd suggest you study stocks and mutual funds. When it comes to watches, most of us buy retail and sell retail or wholesale. Those that make a living in watches generally buy wholesale and sell retail. When I retire (if I can ever afford that LOL) I don't expect to sell off my watches and live off of the proceeds. Collecting watches is a hobby for me. I try to buy at a good price but if I see something I really want, I don't consider that I might not be able to sell it for more than I paid for it. There are costs involved with owning/wearing them: service, straps, deployants, insurance, etc.. . I am always reminded of a scene from Throw Mama From the Train.

If they are in your collection then they are collectable

Barking mad and Pahawi like this.
  10. g-boac Apr 4, 2014

Richard sums things up very well. Me personally, I'd pass on this watch. Otherwise, you won't pay too much more for a watch that is correct - with correct crown, correct bracelet, and an unpolished (or at least, less polished) case.

You did assess the condition of the watch overall pretty well, so you've got a good eye for things!

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 4, 2014

For me the case is too polished.

another over polished example example next to a new case for comparison.
    image.jpg

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 4, 2014

40 years old tool watch (which really used......not keep in the back of sock drawer of some Auntie's) wil have significant scratch and dings. Unfortunately for most of the seller / dealer the solution is only to go to polishing wheel...........