Forums Latest Members
  1. syd Feb 27, 2015

Hi all,

So pleased I found this forum, so much interesting reading!

Bit of background: I inherited my grandfather's 80's De Ville Quartz some months ago, and since then my interest in vintage Omegas has been growing very rapidly. Fast forward to now, and my family have very kindly said they'ed like me to choose a watch for them to give me for my 30th.

So... I was wondering if you knowledgable people would mind giving me your thoughts on a couple of watches I'm considering. I love the simplicity and clean lines of the early '60s Seamasters, so it's these that I'm looking at:

1.1963 Steel, $895 : "Case model is 165.001. Movement has been fully serviced and timed. 24 jewels movement caliber 552 with serial number 20312778 dating this watch to 1963" http://www.qualityvintagetimepieces.com/OmegaSeaMSSSODHfull.html

2. 1961 18ct Gold, £1,695 (~$2,600) http://www.allvintagewatches.com/vintage-watches/omega-seamaster-18ct-gold-1961-2/

Really number 2 is rather above budget, so I suppose what I'm really asking is whether it's actually worth that money/what kind of money I might be looking at if I could manage to find it in a 9ct gold/gold cap/etc.?

For reference, my budget probably tops out at around $1,500, though I don't necessarily feel compelled to spend that much if I can find something that fits the bill for less.

Thanks for your help.

Syd

2. base615 Feb 27, 2015

Honestly, I think both are overpriced. I think you could get a getter deal on a more collectable watch by keeping an eye on the sales forums here. There are some excellent pieces which come up for sale.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 27, 2015

I'd second this suggestion, the second watch in particular is a redialed non-chronometer Seamaster, I wouldn't be buying that even at 600 quid let along 1700

4. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Feb 27, 2015

+1

5. waterproofpt Feb 27, 2015

I'm in the same boat. Really a rookie as far as the vintage Omegas go but do I ever like them. I have a couple of relatively new SMP's but would love to get something like the 18kt Seamaster for dress. Such a classic. I've noticed a number of comments from those who are knowledgable about samples that are way overpriced etc. when people like the OP post a question. Is there any way other than spending time perusing sales on forums or the bay to get a decent sense of the market value for these watches. I have already spent a LOT of time on forums but haven't really been documenting prices .... So I spose I should start. Am I answering my own question .... Or are there other ways as well. Cheers.

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 27, 2015

On eBay you can check under search for items you are interested in, then go to advanced and then onto sold listing. And if you are anything like me you find lots of pieces you wish you you had bid on!

7. syd Feb 27, 2015

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate your input.

Is there anywhere else that's worth keeping an eye on for reasonably priced sales?

Cheers,
    Syd

8. Davidt Feb 28, 2015

If you're a new comer and have taken the time to sign up and join the forum, the single best piece of advice is, be patient and keep an eye on the sales section here.

A redial or Franken will be outed almost immediately and by looking at historic sales posts you'll quickly get an idea of a series of sellers who regularly list exactly what you're looking for.

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 28, 2015

I'd also keep an eye on the WRUW thread to get more of an idea of what's out there in terms of vintage models.