Forums Latest Members
  1. Nathanh42 Aug 18, 2019

Hello guys!

Just looking for some advice on buying my first vintage omega! I'm looking at the Omega Geneve ref. 135.041 pictured below because I really like the style, but then came across a geneve seamaster model also pictured below.

After doing some research, I found that these crossovers where made between 1967-1968. Would this make them "rarer" and more collectable than the ref. 135.041? Looking for your opinions, should I go for the Geneve Seamaster crossover for this reason?

Another aspect is pricing, I'm seeing the ref 135.041 Geneve going for around £300-£400, mostly on eBay, which I've been told is a lot? With the Geneve Seamaster, the price for the one shown is between £600-£700, is that a good price for the added "rarity"?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to reading any responses

Nathan
    Screenshot_20190818-141955.jpg Screenshot_20190818-141952.jpg Screenshot_20190816_125625.jpg Screenshot_20190816_125520.jpg Screenshot_20190816_125602.jpg Screenshot_20190816_125547.jpg

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 18, 2019

Man of few words.

3. TNTwatch Aug 18, 2019

Dial and hands of the second one are in poor condition so it's a pass let alone higher price.

4. mydeafcat Aug 18, 2019

Hi Nathan,

Welcome. I like Geneve’s (up to late 1960’s anyway) and see decent value in them. I love my Seamaster Geneve (more on it here). I’m no expert in these particular watches but there would seem evidence of water ingress in the second one. Images of the movement would help immensely.

Don’t rush this purchase or you risk paying the dreaded ‘noob tax’, ie getting burned before knowing exactly what you’re buying. It happens. Often.

eBay is a minefield for the uninitiated. I’ve lurked here for almost 2 years and learn new stuff every day. Yet the ‘bay still spooks me. I sell musical gear and other stuff on eBay and am very transparent in my descriptions, yet when it comes to watches, I view much of what eBay sellers say with skepticism. I simply don’t have the eye, expertise and risk tolerance. But I’ve had excellent luck here on OF and am the proud owner of 3 vintage Omegas I’m extremely pleased with.

I advise you to be as patient as you can, watch the Private Sale forum here as these watches come up periodically - and pay close attention to the Vintage Omega and Open Discussion forums as well. WRUW offers glimpses of watches in usually fine shape and you can judge from the loved and well kept pieces worn in the field.

As well read this. Then read it again. And again.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Enjoy!

DaveK, Foo2rama and JwRosenthal like this.
  5. Nathanh42 Aug 18, 2019

Thank you for your reply and advice!

I definitely need to learn to be patient, I've been having a vintage omega itch that needs to be scratched!

DaveK, JwRosenthal and mydeafcat like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Aug 18, 2019

Welcome Nathan,

Not being long to this group I have learned much in a short time-lots of information and generous memebers here- information is power- and money considering how much I have saved on not buying potential disasters thanks to the advise I have received here. I did pay my noob taxes early on- specifically becuase I was impatient.
    The classified’s here are a great place to get quality watches. It is group monitored and if a questionable watch come up, it quickly gets scrutinized.
    If you like the case shape as above, the Cosmics are a great bargain as they are still undervalued.

Here is a great example of the cosmic shape with a very rare black technical dial. This would be an incredible first Omega

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-seamaster-cosmic-with-technical-dial.100144/

DaveK likes this.
  7. Tigeranteater Aug 18, 2019

Dynamics are also a good “first vintage watch”. They are affordable, fun and for me, fairly easy to tell if it’s been altered.

mydeafcat, DaveK and JwRosenthal like this.