Forums Latest Members
  1. Parsley Nov 2, 2012

Hi everyone.

Having introduced myself a few weeks ago I can now continue with my tale. Just heard that my vintage Constellation is ready for collection, having been serviced and refurbished. As I can't (at the moment) afford a genuine Omega strap, I would like the "experts" opinion as to what colour leather strap would show off my "new" 1969 Constellation. The servicing agent (Omega certified) have suggested very dark brown (almost black) plain leather to go on the Stainless Steel watch. What's the feeling??

Once I have travelled down from N. yorks to London collect it I promise to post some photo's!!

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2012

what colour dial?

3. Parsley Nov 2, 2012

By pure coincidence, there is, what seems to be, an identical watch on ebay at the moment. Item number - 170931636214.

Edited to ask - Is what the seller says about it having the ability to be manually wound up true. If so I've not known this for the entire time I've had it!!

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2012

Yes it can and should be hand wound when it has not been worn. Most quality automatics can be wound. There are some models/brands that can't

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 2, 2012

I think you could wear a variety of colour straps with this . I would look at some medium browns and cordovans to wear the watch casually.

6. Parsley Nov 2, 2012

Well, that goes to prove that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks!! Thanks for the advice re the strap colour. I'll check out differing colours when I collect it.

Did you get chance to view the one on ebay that I mentioned. If so, what's your opinion of this model. The guy who did my service/restoration says he's never seen this dial before!!

7. fjf Nov 2, 2012

8. Parsley Nov 2, 2012

That's brilliant. Many thanks.

9. Mothra Nov 3, 2012

I ordered a Hirsch Siena from watchobsession.co.uk for my stainless constellation. Gary there is very helpful. I'll try to post some pictures later....

10. Mothra Nov 3, 2012

Parsley likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 3, 2012

Might give Watchobsession a look

12. Parsley Nov 3, 2012

I've tried to search the database to see the photo you mentioned. What info' do I input into the "search Box" to bring it up please?

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 3, 2012

I have a real problem here ( ;) ), I think Steve has broken the rules.... No help without a picture!!!

14. Parsley Nov 3, 2012

Oh dear, have I dropped someone in the *hit!!!!

15. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Nov 3, 2012

16. fjf Nov 3, 2012

17. Parsley Nov 4, 2012

Thanks for that. Interestingly, when i bought mine it came with a SS bracelet. Wish I'd kept it now when it finally gave up the ghost!! Little did we know when we were younger!!!

18. Parsley Nov 26, 2012

Apologies for being "absent on parade" for a while!! My children have just told me that as a "Retirement Present" they will stand the cost of a vintage Omega bracelet (which is what I wanted in the first place!!). So - what's the opinion of you experts? No hurry as I've got a black calf skin leather one to fit onto it when I pick it up.

19. Parsley Dec 5, 2012

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 5, 2012

The watch you have has relatively short lugs and may require a special bracelet and/or endpieces to fit properly. A quick internet search shows that Ofrei.com (a major US based Omega part supplier) has listed the bracelets for this model as discontinued with no replacement specified.

I don't think the one in the eBay listing is correct for this particular watch, but it may fit anyway. However, if it doesn't, you may be totally out of luck.

I also searched the Google photo database and couldn't find a Ref. 168.018 with a correct looking bracelet. Didn't find one on old-omegas.com either.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa