Forums Latest Members
  1. alexgalt Feb 26, 2013

Hello,
    A shop near my house has 3 speedmaster pro day date automatics, they come with a shop based guarantee of authenticity, no box, no papers. I'm not in love with the automatic day date because I like history, I do, however, enjoy a day date function. It's schizophrenic, I know. I can buy any of them for 1500 US$. My questions are: (they are all beautiful with no marks but the store won't allow photographs)
    1. Is this a good price?
    2. I haven't seen this on the forum but would weighing the watches be a reasonable chance to test authenticity? My thought is that fakes would not match.

The serial number on the one I like best is 84598172 From what I can find online, this means it is after 1998 but that is as close as I can find. Is there any information relating to the serial number that I should know?

I know nothing about the automatic day date model but the price seems reasonable, I would appreciate any advice from the gurus on the site. If it is not a great deal then I would prefer to wait and buy a chocolate 311 model, but if it is a good deal then I would buy it tomorrow and keep shopping for the chocolate model.

Thanks for any advice,

M

2. ulackfocus Feb 26, 2013

If you're referring to the one with the day & date window inside the 12:00 subdial (Valjoux 775x) then $1500 is a good price.

32228000-20.png

You could buy it, keep saving for the chocolate, then flip the day/date at little or no loss if you don't fancy it when you're close to the amount needed for the chocolate.

3. alexgalt Feb 26, 2013

It does have the day date in the 12 subdial. Looks like your picture except black face, not blue.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2013

It's a 32205000 based on that serial number, and uses a Cal. 3606B, based on the ETA 7750 family. It's quite similar to the Cal. 1151.

Cheers, Al