Forums Latest Members
  1. AnotherJones Jun 16, 2017

Hi again folks,

After the good advice I received last time, I am back to ask some more questions... I have been watching a Omega Constellation 168.010 on Ebay, and I would appreciate any thoughts on this item!

Link is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful...770295?hash=item1a2d932f37:g:TYkAAOSw7GRZNy3sPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

To me this looks like an Ok example, with a particularly nice back that does not look over polished.

One of the lugs looks a little out of shape, although that could be a reflection. I am also very aware that as a newb I may be missing something very obvious. The font on the dial makes me concerned that it might be a redial. There is another thread on here, which has some close ups that were really useful.
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/constellation-dial-close-up-168-010.40169/

I found the Omega link here

Thanks in advance!

upload_2017-6-16_20-56-20.png

upload_2017-6-16_20-58-12.png

upload_2017-6-16_20-59-55.png

qboa and fskywalker like this.
  2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 16, 2017

Hi @AnotherJones

Nice .010
    Very nice dial -wonky star but there are lots of those around
    Decent case - although I think there may be a ding on the front of the 7oclock lug and bezel
    Nice medallion
    Couple of things:
    The gasket is missing and there are signs of corrosion where it should be - doesn't look too bad and should clean up
    Signs of rotor rub
    The crown should be snug against the case - so hopefully it's just been left pulled out

If you buy it make sure you have it serviced

Thumbs up from me :thumbsup:

Best of luck

chronos likes this.
  3. AnotherJones Jun 16, 2017

Hi Peemacgee,

Thank you for the response, I had missed almost all of those points. I still have a lot to learn about these items!
    I actually quite like the wonky star, not sure why! The ding does concern me, but I will see how much the price has risen when the auction comes close to ending, before I consider bidding.

Cheers!

4. Sherbie Jun 16, 2017

It may be my ipad, but the movement seems to have 4, possible 5 different colours to it, which is a cause for concern

I'd ask a few pertinent questions to the seller

5. ConElPueblo Jun 17, 2017

I think it looks good. No movement colour issues as far as I can tell.
    The lugs are not bent, it's just how these cases act up on photos :)

Peemacgee likes this.
  6. Nathan1967 Jun 17, 2017

So did you win it? Auction closed at circa £780.

7. AnotherJones Jun 17, 2017

Hi everyone,

I did not win it in the end, it went just out of my price range and for the first time in my life I did the sensible thing... I really liked the constellation, but I think I will start my collection with a good condition but slightly less expensive model, maybe a Geneve or a Seamaster.

I am so chuffed with how helpful everyone is being on here, hopefully I will be able to post some nice photos of my first Omega soon, and start to help some other Newbs on the forum once I gain some knowledge!

Thanks again!

Edited Jun 17, 2017
  8. Nathan1967 Jun 17, 2017

Thanks for letting us know, we love these watches and want you to learn from mistakes That many of us have made in the past, so that your Vintage experience is a good one. I'd advise that you stay close to the sales forum here on OF, you'll find what you want ( and maybe find something that you didn't know you wanted) without the hassle that you'll get on ebay.

All the best

Nathan

AnotherJones and GordonL like this.
  9. Edward53 Jun 17, 2017

Hi Garfield from another Garfield ;)
    If it's a choice between a Geneve and a Seamaster, spend the extra and get a Seamaster. There's nothing wrong with the 60s Geneves, the movements are exactly the same but some would say they are a poor man's Seamaster and don't have as much style and grace. If you want a date model, all other things being equal the 564 movement is a better bet as it is a real pain changing the date on the 562 if you haven't worn it for a few days.
    Cheers, E.

10. AnotherJones Jun 18, 2017

Hi real Garfield, from cartoon Garfield, love the avatar! Thanks for the advice, the movement comments are very useful, as I have very limited knowledge on this. I do prefer the seamaster, and that is probably my top choice. However I occasionally see a Geneve like the one on this forum and that makes me wonder, as it is stunning.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/omega-big-geneve-calendar-watch.58022/#post-733398

Which you have commented on actually!

One of my issues at the moment is that I find so many of these watches are lovely. It's not totally an issue, apart from potentially for my bank balance...

11. Edward53 Jun 18, 2017

Sometime around the start of the 1960s the Geneve line was downgraded from dress watches to a more utilitarian level, see this thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-old-genéve´s-lets-see-them.59067/ for more detail (including mine). Those early Geneves have become collectable and only turn up now and then.

You might still get lucky with a Constellation like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Con...811587?hash=item41c7ca8143:g:ONwAAOSwgv5ZQQ~jPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network which looks a bit polished but ok, if you didn't mind gambling on the movement as the lack of a pic puts some people off and might keep the price down. After several decades there won't be much difference between the performance of chrono and non-chrono rated movements and you are basically paying the extra for a cool dial. Realistically a nice Seamaster is more likely if the Constellation you linked to was over your budget. I was lucky enough to win the near-mint one below for under £435 on ebay last October so it can still happen. Of course it takes time, effort and luck and you have to factor in anything up to an extra couple of hundred for a proper service.

IMG_4173.JPG

fskywalker and AnotherJones like this.
  12. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 18, 2017

The dial on the Connie linked to above is quite nice but the lugs and medallion have seen some serious polishing.
    I would go for a decent Seamaster before buying that particular watch.