Forums Latest Members

Advice on a 1960's TMS Chronograph possible purchase?

1. blacktiger May 14, 2017

Afternoon everyone,

hope everyone's enjoying this weather...if you're in the UK! ;)

Again I'm back looking for a lower budget piece whilst currently saving for the Seamaster 300 2531.80. Have been shopping around for something sub £500 and less if possible.

Stumbled upon this piece shown, it's a 1960S TMS ROSE CHRONOGRAPH, in terms of style I think it's beautiful, I love the small detailing and the rose gold, although plated I still think looks smart.

It's priced at around 490euro currently. Here's a little bit about it from the seller's website:

"Here’s a nice rose gold plated watch. Using a typical case from the sixties it ticks all the boxes of the dress chronograph. Using a nice art-deco style font at 12 and 6 the dial is simple and very legible. In the superb condition, it is a great companion for anyone’s wrist."

"Dial : The dial is in superb condition.
    Case : The case is in superb condition, showing very light signs of age/wear and or scratches. Crown has lost a bit of plating.
    Movement : The movement is in very good condition.
    Overall : The watch is in superb condition."

Never heard or had any dealings at all with the brand TMS, a brand I understand didn't survive the quartz movement. Not that that really bothers me too much, as for the price I personally it's a nice looking piece, all seems to be good condition, from my own opinion I wouldn't say it's a redial, but I will leave it down to the more experienced members here on the forum to kindly help me out! :)

The movement seems to be solid, Landeron 248 ETA from research seems to be well respected and from the pictures to me it looks clean enough with a power reserve of around 40 hours seems to be good.

Let me know your honest opinion, and once again I can't thank the forum enough for the help that can be found from the fellow members.

Best regards everyone,

Dan

Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 13.47.29.png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 13.47.21.png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 13.46.52.png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 13.46.43.png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 13.46.38.png Screen Shot 2017-05-14 at 13.46.30.png
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 14, 2017

One of a myriad of "make your own" watch brands of the 1960s that disappeared nearly as quickly as they appeared.

As noted uses a good quality movement but with an unknown service history you could easily find yourself upside down value wise if it needs a service.

Case shows noticeable wear on the edges of the lugs as well as on the pushers.

Appears to be all original. Will need a case back gasket before wearing.

blacktiger likes this.
  3. blacktiger May 14, 2017

Thanks for this, really helped me! :p

Perhaps this isn't the one then, if the price was lower I may of taken it, think the price is OK but with the new gasket and wear that it is had, probably best if I miss this one. Thank you! :)