Forums Latest Members
  1. khanmu May 2, 2017

Hi everyone

I've recently bought a couple of my grail watches, and due to space (lack), funds (lack) and a wife (got one), have to sadly let some of my existing collection go. I'm not yet able to sell on OF so will be putting them onto eBay in due course, but before I do, wanted to check they are OK and also see if there is anything I should point out to potential buyers. I think they are OK, but then again that was before I came on here and found out the horror stories of fake/franken vintage watches.. Apologies for the quality of photos - iPhone zoom :(

The first is a C case 168.017 cal 564 with integrated steel bracelet. The second a 168.010 also a 564, and with wonky star that has always worried me a bit, but it does have a weirdly nice soft snakeskin band. I'm planning to be brave and put them up with no reserve and a low start, but it still feels like I'm selling one of the children :(

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg IMG_1047.jpg IMG_1049.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

As always, thank you in advance for any comments or thoughts.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 2, 2017

Very smoothly skirting the sales rules. Bravo!

kkt, propervinyl, WYO_Watch and 3 others like this.
  3. khanmu May 2, 2017

Honestly, I'm not trying to! I look forward to the day I can sell on here - but until then I have to suffer EBay, and in the meantime I value the advice here. And of course if it helps direct more people to my eBay sells then I can live with that ;)

WYO_Watch likes this.
  4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! May 2, 2017

I was going to be a bit more blunt, but you just said what everyone else is thinking.

BenBagbag and kkt like this.
  5. adi4 May 2, 2017

I don't think it's so much what you can live with, but the impression you leave on other members. In my opinion, you're kind of toeing the line here on forum rules. Sometimes being technically right isn't necessarily the right tack to take.

6. khanmu May 2, 2017

:( Ok, I understand, I hadnt thought of that and I'm suitably embarrassed. I can't seem to find a way of deleting this thread, so I'll promise not to sell them on here and put them on eBay only in due course and providing there's nothing wrong with them (I've posted the other straight onto ebay as they were quartzes)

7. WYO_Watch May 2, 2017

I understand the rules regarding sales on the forum, and believe they make sense. But I don't see this post any different than people just blatantly asking for a value on "my uncle's, step-sister's, brother inlaw's wife's watch she found in a box in her attic." The guy knows the rules, and requested advise on whether the watches were correct for listing.

One of the reasons the rules make sense is that it protects new people from getting robbed by offering something far below FMV. It also keeps the rift raft from the sales thread and protects buyers from scams.

However, this doesn't stop all sour deals or sharks in the water. As a new person to the forum, I was pm'd by people asking if some of my watches were for sale and for prices. While I don't necessarily think that it is bad in itself, it just goes to show that regardless of rules people will make back door deals, even if a thread isn't directly seeking it.

8. WYO_Watch May 2, 2017

@khanmu if I knew anything that could help you, I would share it. Unfortunately, I am new to collecting and have little experience in your watches. But they look nice and I wish you GLWTS. Ebay can be a troll sometime, there fees in particular. But it does help establish a bit of a baseline for FMV. Take good photos, be humble about the things you know, be honest about the things you don't know, and your watches should sell for what they are worth.

khanmu likes this.
  9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 2, 2017

Then we obviously need to keep an eye on your posts, too.

10. WYO_Watch May 2, 2017

Be my guest. I like this forum, and already stated that the rules make sense. It protect buyers and sellers from raw deals. I am just trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

BenBagbag likes this.
  11. khanmu May 2, 2017

Thank you for your advice. I've been selling on eBay for a decade, it's only recently that I've started buying and selling watches there since I got the watch bug. Until I joined OF, I had no idea of the faking/franking that seems to exist and which seems to be rife amongst vintage Costellations - sadly I found a couple in my collection like that. I'm hoping these aren't, they seem ok to me, but best to be sure before I unwittingly sell it on, and having been in that situation myself, I'd hate for it to happen to someone else...

WYO_Watch likes this.
  12. adi4 May 2, 2017

Only the mods who created the rules and maintain them can truly answer that question, but from my perspective, this forum is not a sales forum first and foremost. It is a discussion forum which just happens to have some sales sub-forums that provide collectors the ability to buy and sell watches with a moderate amount of oversight and a feeling of some safety.

In my opinion, the post count threshold allows for at least some background on a member you may be buying from to determine their trustworthiness while at the same time allowing them a chance to take part in discussions and learn a bit before rushing into a sale. Buyers protect themselves from scams and there is no mechanism in existence to fully prevent scammers, beyond knowledge that is.

WYO_Watch likes this.
  13. Gordon Heavyfoot May 2, 2017

There are some around who are quite pharisaical and rarely post anything that isn't negative. Shrug it off and enjoy the hobby.

14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 2, 2017

Khanmu, since you have a history of selling online, have you sent a request to the Mods about selling there with less than 200 posts?

15. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 2, 2017

Well while I agree the OP may be a little mischievous

I think we can cut @khanmu a little slack as whilst he only has 80 posts but he's been a member for nearly a year - so not a fly-by-night.

As for the Connies
    the .010 has a nice very clean correct dial (the wonky star is what it is - lots of Connies have them)
    Can't remember seeing 'full index lume' on an .010 - more common on an .004 I think
    Correct hands
    Omega crystal
    The case looks very slightly polished but it is gold capped - a side shot would help -and will help confirm an original crown
    It needs a gasket - looks like the remaining gasket is sitting inside the case (!)
    Signs of a bit of rotor rub but otherwise the movement looks in reasonable condition.

Nice watch
    What's the medallion like?

The C-case isn't my thing but the linen dial is nice
    and the font looks correct
    (Wasn't sure about the first A but if you zoom in it's just a bit narrow - so I put that down to the linen dial)

Hope that helps

Davidt, Impondering and WYO_Watch like this.
  16. khanmu May 2, 2017

Thanks - that is helpful. I'll get my watch maker to see if he can fit a gasket. Forgot to add photos of the crowning medallion - attached below. The crown seems to be sunken/part hidden, if that makes sense...

IMG_1077.jpg

IMG_1078.jpg

17. khanmu May 2, 2017

Thanks - I have sent a request and I'm waiting to hear back, although I appreciate they have day jobs like the rest of us...

18. kreyke May 2, 2017

168.010 and .004 are hidden crown models :)

19. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 2, 2017

[​IMG]

WYO_Watch likes this.
  20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 2, 2017

Decent medallion
    Correct crown
    Case as noted above
    Best of luck with your sale

khanmu and JohnSteed like this.