Forums Latest Members

Advice needed Rolex Ref 16014

1. semper_shells Apr 7, 2017

Hello all,

Looking at potentially making my first vintage purchased and just want to make sure I got all my boxes checked. Appears to good to go from what I can tell. All edges are crisp and shop says it was polished very minimally. They claim all original and while everything does look correct I can't confirm this. He is asking just above what I checked to be market value. The place is located near Lancaster, PA. Thoughts?
    Rolex1.JPG Rolex2.JPG
    IMG_0838.PNG
    IMG_0839.PNG

OMGRLX and Drawarms like this.
  2. Drawarms Apr 8, 2017

very nice date just. $3K max value. $2600-2800 would be a good buy.

Dial looks ok. Movement is nice. That bracelet is nice and correct for watch (end links are at least). One of my favorite everyday watches. You could always stick another dial and handset in there later on.

semper_shells likes this.
  3. onthedial Apr 8, 2017

@semper_shells
    Case looks to be on the softer side of crisp, but still OK. Can't really discern anything about the dial due to the poor photography. If the watch looks good to you "in person" and you're paying a bit above market, make sure the case Ref. number is right, and the SN coincides with the bracelet clasp code.
    ...Looks like it has the potential to be a fine watch.

4. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Apr 8, 2017

Can you get pictures of the clasp?

5. semper_shells Apr 8, 2017

Thanks, they wanted $3800 for the watch and I knew that was high. I had it right around 3k max myself. Instantly got him to $3500 and had the $2800 as my goal. Thanks for the insight.

6. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 8, 2017

$3500 is a bit of a shop premium. You may well do better elsewhere.

7. semper_shells Apr 8, 2017

I agree completely. Was out and about and wanted to see the vintage market here.

8. Overgrower Apr 8, 2017

The 16014 is a Datejust with a white gold fluted bezel. This watch looks like it has a stainless steel engine turned bezel 16030 reference. Linen dial.

DIV, watch3s, balaja and 1 other person like this.
  9. Charlie3755 Apr 13, 2017

@Overgrower x 2

How about a picture between the lugs to determine both model and serial #'s to determine year

With the case back off it would have been helpful to see what model # is stamped on the inside..

What's the stretch like on the bracelet and how close to a complete bracelet of 22 links is this one?

Also bracelet clasp code to determine if all belongs together?

10. watch3s Apr 19, 2017

any box and papers?

11. semper_shells Apr 19, 2017

Naw

12. watch3s Apr 19, 2017

id keep an eye on the rolex forums for sale section, datejusts like those complete sets mostly go for less than $3k usually. $2400-$2800 is a good range depending on condition.

13. jfwoodman Apr 20, 2017

Prices seem to be trending up (like all nice vintage these days, thanks Hodinkee). I've been watching for a Datejust to buy the last few months, and I rarely see a 16XXX series (quickset dates) with box/papers for less than mid-3's. I see plenty of older 16XX pieces in the $2-2.5K range without box, closer to $3K with box/papers. That's just my sense of things, could be way off. Bottom line, takes lots of patience to find a nice one at a good price. But that's half the fun of it.

watch3s likes this.
  14. watch3s Apr 20, 2017

indeed, a 1601 is theoretically the watch my grandfather had. ive been searching for one the other year. gotta keep my eyes open on the for sale

15. Canuck Apr 20, 2017

This watch is at least 30 years old. It has the older 1500 series movement which shows signs of the rotor dragging on the movement, and maybe inside the case back. Rotor post may be worn, barrel and barrel arbor bushings, likewise. It has the older acrylic crystal. The newer model Swiss bracelet on it causes me to wonder if the original wore out. You might be wiser to go for the newer 3035 or 3135 movement in a newer model with sapphire crystal. Buying a used watch is like buying a used car. Price should be based on un-used miles! Rolex watches don't last forever. You'll pay more, but if you buy wisely, you'll be better off. IMHO.

16. onthedial Apr 20, 2017

Prices for honest vintage DJs have seen steady price increases as of late and that trend will likely continue. That said, prices are quite reasonable when compared to (vintage) Rolex sports watches. Consequently, many new enthusiasts who are unable to purchase a 5513 are snapping up the best quality 1603's, 16030's, etc. It's getting much harder to find top-quality late 1960's - late 1970's era Datejusts.

watch3s likes this.
  17. DIV Apr 27, 2017

yes, if you're still working on getting this DJ, I would mention it to the seller that this is not a 16014, but a 16030 and since the bezel is SS and not WG, it should loosen the asking price.

18. Tudorme Feb 4, 2020

I’m sorry for revamping an old post but I was researching some of the pieces I need and came across this post. There is so much hog wallaby and mis-information here that it disgust me. For starters, that is a 3035 movement any marks could be before a service was done but as far as saying that there are rotor marks and blah blah blah is bullarky. Further, the 16014 came in so many variations that limiting it to this dial or that bezel is preposterous. Some people prefer the acrylic glass over the sapphire crystal which Rolex started transitioning the datejust in 1978. Crystals get broken and replaced so who knows unless we know the serial numbers. And saying the case is on the “softer side”, I’m sorry did you receive pictures the rest of us didn’t? Stop the hating and snobbery and cut the guy some slack. Stop being rude.