Forums Latest Members

Advice from old collectors about the Speedy Apollo 11 40th

1. snake.doctor Feb 11, 2019

Hi everybody !

This is my first post on OF after having used it for a long long time, but unfortunately not so much to give back to help others, since there are just so many experienced people around here giving great advices...

I'm seeking for some some help here (because my brain is killing me right now...).

I'm in the process of purchasing my first Speedy. I received an Omega Seamaster limited 007 edition when I graduated in 2006 and since then I always wanted to add the speedy to my collection of watches.

To be completely honest, the Apollo 11 40th anniversay directly caught my eye when it was released back then, but I hadn't the money to buy it since I was still a student.

So I have been chasing this model for some time now, and I see the prices are quite high compared to just 3 years ago. I see this model is selling from 6000 to 8000$ on the different websites and now I have a real issue there.

I just payed a pre-owned 99% version for 5200$ with the original box, coin and certificates. The watch will be sent to me in a few days and I have 14 days to cancel the deal if I'm not happy with the watch (I need to inspect it myselft).

In the meantime there is someone selling one in my country (Switzerland) for 4300$ right now. The issue is, he only has the watch, and not the complete set. to be honest I think I can bring down the price for around 4000$ with him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also need to inspect it myselft before buying it to be sure it's in a perfect shape.

The main question here, is, is the difference in price worth it to get the full set or not ? I would say it will be more than 1000$ so that makes some money there. Also, I'm not buying the watch for collection only to let it in its case in a safe somewhere. I intent to wear it just like my Seamaster.

So I would appreciate some of your opinions about the case ?

Thanks very much in advance.

Cheers

2. ext1 Feb 11, 2019

I'm not an expert but here are my thoughts.

Basically if you intend to wear it, great! Go ahead.

But, having the accessories will make it easier for you to offload the speedy when the time comes. And also having it at mint condition helps.

IF you are 9999999% sure you are not going to sell, well, I think you ought to go with the watch-only deal and use the 1K somewhere else.

But in my experience I almost always end up wanting to move pieces for one reason or another, and increasing that get-rid-ability is never a bad thing, in my opinion. For 1K I would want that increase.

3. snake.doctor Feb 11, 2019

I just had contact with the other seller and he would be ok to sell the watch only for 3700$. That makes a difference of 1500$ now... it doesn't help.

I fully agree on the ability to resell it in the future as a complete set, it will be more interesting for collectors for sure... the main question is, are the 1500$ more investment worth is, for example if I resell it in the future at a price lower than a full set...

4. gixxer47 Feb 11, 2019

personal call on this and ext1 makes a good point if you ever plan to sell it in the future
    for myself, i'm the type of collector that would like to have the entire set. I almost backed out on a purchase of an Alaska Project LE 2 years ago just cause it didn't have the certificate of authenticity/LE paper. Luckily it was just hiding under the box so I purchased it. I love wearing this piece and its just nice to know that I have the entire set in case I want to sell one day and hope to get top dollar.
    theres no right or wrong. the choice is yours and is the extra $1k for everything else worth it to you.
    good luck on obtaining one of your dream watches! i'm sure you worked hard for it

5. gixxer47 Feb 11, 2019

$1500 now.... yeah, its not helping your decision::confused2::

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2019

$1500 for the box is your answer

Do you think the box is worth $1500 ( that is only going to sit in a cupboard while you wear the watch )

My opinion for this watch is buy the one without the box and papers if your going to wear it.

blufinz52 and ext1 like this.
  7. prontoprint Feb 11, 2019

This is always a conundrum. I have been happy to purchase certain watches without box and papers based on price difference and whether I saw it as needing a "complete set ". Normally I would say go for the complete set for anniversary watches as I like the idea of it being a full product as sold. Saying that, $1500 is an awful big difference for a watch you say you intend to wear regularly that could get you closer to another purchase in the future ;-) The watch in the photo looks in good condition and also nicer to deal with someone in your own country.

I'd go for watch only in this case based on money saved.

blufinz52 likes this.
  8. bama2141 Feb 11, 2019

I actually bought one a couple of years ago without the box. I buy for my own enjoyment, and have no intentions on selling. While I do have several newer watches that came with their boxes, I don’t use them anyway - I use a 10 slot Wolf case for easier access.

Sure, if I decide later on to sell I’ll get less than I would have received for a full set. But I paid less in the first place. There will always be a buyer like me who doesn’t care that much for the accessories.

5F8A6E04-06EE-464D-A0DA-64DEB17AEB60.jpeg

DotOverNine and blufinz52 like this.
  9. ext1 Feb 11, 2019

Well, if now the difference is 1.5K instead of 1K....I say go for the watch-only deal for sure. At a lower price it's much more easier to wear the hell out of it and enjoy IMO.

10. Neek U-neek. Get it? Feb 11, 2019

I haven't looked, but are the box and accessories something you can find on the market? Because if so, you can certainly take some of that $1500 savings and have fun trying to complete the set.

11. abrod520 Feb 11, 2019

For a vintage watch I'd say forget the box, but for a modern LE I think the full set is pretty important whether you intend to wear the watch or not.

Lonestar likes this.
  12. hungdangnguyen23 Feb 11, 2019

$1500 for a box seems extreme but it's more than just a box, it's an incomplete set without it.

This is a tough one but I'd try to source a box first before buying the watch.

13. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 11, 2019

I know I'm going to sound patronizing... Am I the only one to think that, would I be the seller of the full set, i'd be pretty pissed to find out about this thread?!?

KingCrouchy likes this.
  14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 11, 2019

And? The buyer has a choice. If he decides to go for the watch-only deal, the seller of the full set will sell to the someone else. There is a 14 day return policy.

blufinz52 and drhombus24 like this.
  15. shoota70 Feb 11, 2019

The Apollo 11 had a special kit, correct? If so I say get the full kit.

16. shoota70 Feb 11, 2019

Tho I agree with this theory, it never seems to work out for me that way....

17. Au79 Aluminium Feb 11, 2019

I feel conflicted about this as well but based on what you wrote above, I get the feeling that this is sort of a grail watch for you. If it is a daily or semi daily watch you will wear constantly for many years to come, I'd say save your money and forget the box. If it is a watch you are not going to wear regularly but just stare at from time to time, I'd say pay extra and get the box. Just my humble opinion.

18. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 11, 2019

Pay more for a full set vs. watch only. Sell a full set for more vs. watch only. It's a wash.

19. snake.doctor Feb 12, 2019

Don't worry about the feelings, I bought the first one from a shop with a full cancellation policy. It's not a private seller. It would have been different. It's just giving me time to consider the other offer.

Waiting to see hi-res pictures of the other watch by the end of the week and I will make up my mind after that as well.

Thank you very much for your comments and inputs so far.

20. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Feb 12, 2019

It seems that the return policy is not designed by essence for this kind of situation where the buyer appears to be changing his mind as he finds what could potentially be a "better" deal. Yes, a return is possible.

Roger that, glad to hear it isn't a private seller somehow. What you are describing looks like some kind of buyer's remorse to me, hence my comments. Would I be the seller, I'd be upset because this is somewhat unfair.

Then again, it appears I'm in minority here... I'll just shut up then ;)

KingCrouchy likes this.