Forums Latest Members
  1. billshack May 13, 2020

Hey All,

I am new to the forum and appreciate all the great information available here. I did some searching but couldn't quite find all the information I was looking for.

I own a c.321 speedmaster (69) and a bit of lume has flaked off on the dial. Several watch repairshops around my city would not remove the caseback and remove the flake for me. Watch is running well and was serviced about 5 years ago. I want to remove the caseback, remove the stem, remove the flake, and then put it back together. A relatively minor and simple service I hope.

I am hoping to get some advice on the tools I should buy and any parts to have. Other than a lupe, screwdriver set, watch case holder, and jaxa type wrench to remove the case, are there any other tools I should purchase? Also, should I buy lubricant or a new caseback gasket/seal for putting the case back together?

Also, if you have good instruction on the process and any pitfalls to avoid that would be great.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

-Bill

2. Annapolis May 13, 2020

Did the watchmakers give a reason for why they wouldn't do this?

For what little it's worth (really little, I'm sure), I'd probably not undertake this myself, even if it sounds like a simple job. I'm guessing there's a lot that could go wrong and there will be opportunities to introduce dust into the movement (among other issues) that you'd rather avoid. With 5 years since the last service, it's probably about due for routine maintenance anyway, so perhaps you can find a pro who's willing to do all of the above at the same time?

DaveK, marco and UncleBuck like this.
  3. Annapolis May 13, 2020

P.S. If you let folks know your general location, someone might be able to suggest an area watchmaker who will do good work at a fair price.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado May 13, 2020

5. obstando May 13, 2020

Taking the caseback off is the easy part!

6. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 13, 2020

Take the cost of a proper, needed service and subtract what you'd spend for a good tool (Pahawi's or better) and it seems a bargain to have a pro do it all!

Better yet, compare the cost value of a damaged caseback, a cheap tool, a new seal and an amateur handling your 321 movement verses the cost of a needed service.

This is how I'd analyze it being a ham-fisted oaf that struggles to even stab his foot through the leg hole of his underwear, much less tinker with a 321.

All the luck to you, my brother.

vintage hab, DaveK, marco and 2 others like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2020

Just don’t do it. If you had to ask how to do something and what tools are needed you are not confident or skilled enough to do it.

$200 Seiko give it a go
    50yo Speedmaster give it a no

Do you want your next thread to be.

How do I fix a ______________ stem
    ( add stripped, bent, or broken into above )

dougwhiz, marco and Dan S like this.
  8. Dan S May 13, 2020

I wasn't going to say it, but I was thinking the same thing. If you don't own the most basic tools, then presumably you haven't had much practice ... and you shouldn't be practicing on your vintage Speedmaster.

9. redpcar May 13, 2020

Also keep in mind the greasy goober gunk in the outer seal that will fall into your watch when the back comes off.
    If you do successfully get the back off, the chances of catastrophic damage when trying to remove the movement are 100%

BTW, pictures would help :coffee:

Duracuir1 likes this.
  10. redpcar May 13, 2020

upload_2020-5-13_19-34-48.png
    upload_2020-5-13_19-35-17.png

Why do I bother...::facepalm2::

timecube and DaveK like this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers May 13, 2020

This thread needed a photo, that’ll do

redpcar likes this.
  12. billshack May 14, 2020

Thanks for all the great replies. I'm located in Seattle, WA.

Nesbit's, a local watch repair shop, said they would not touch it based on the age, fear of breaking a part, and difficulty finding a replacement.
    Tourbillon, am Omega sales shop would be sending it back to Switzerland which I'm not interested in.

I would prefer to have a local professional do this work, but it has been difficult to find one. I have taken some watch repair classes and have serviced a few pocket watches. I'm an ameuter at best, but the cost of the tools its not prohibitive as I own what I posted. The Pahawi opener does look better for opening the case back and I appreciate that recommendation. My ideal scenario is not doing this myself.

If anyone does have a trusted shop around Seattle, WA, I would love the recommendation.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

-Bill

13. Dan S May 14, 2020

I recommend searching OF archives using google to identify members who live in Seattle (there are many), and ask them politely by PM to recommend an independent watchmaker. In general, this is such a good way to get specialized information about a particular area or a specific watch, and I don't know why people don't do it more often (probably because it takes a little more effort).

I know that if someone asks in an open forum, I'm unlikely to give out the contact info of my watchmaker, but it's a little harder to ignore a PM. Similarly, I'm unlikely to give away my good sources for watches, or to say how much I paid for a watch publicly.

14. billshack May 14, 2020

Thank you for this advice. I have started sending some PMs.

Thank you.

15. pix98 May 24, 2020

i won't do it on a 321 or any speedy
    way too risky

16. amcclell May 24, 2020

If it was a tiny piece of lume, I would be tempted to wait until it is in need of a service. I certainly would not try it myself. As others have said, getting the case back off is the easy part and we have all seen our fair share of idiot marks....