Forums Latest Members
  1. Molko Apr 3, 2018

I just bought my first vintage Omega. Actually, first vintage watch period. I'm a total newbie, but I bought this ~1960 Seamaster Automatic.

What I do know:
    Roughly 1960 according to the 17,xxx,xxx serial number, 570 caliber. It is 14k gold-filled. The crown has been replaced with a different Omega crown. The case is scratched up a good amount, especially on the back. There are definite defects on the dial, near 12 it looks kind of like rust? The seller told me that it just needs a new crystal, no servicing yet. I don't believe the service history is known, it came with no box or information of the sort. I have zero intention of selling this watch. I am a woman with puny wrists, so the 33mm size is great.

What would you guys recommend I have done to it? Any recommendations on whom I should have do it? I am located in Michigan. There are a lot of numbers on the inside of the caseback, any idea what they mean? Is there a reference number for this watch? And any strap suggestions?

[​IMG]
    Here you can see both the scratches and spots on the dial pretty well.

[​IMG]
    I've spent forever trying to capture the rust-looking spot at the top of 12 o'clock, this is the best I could get.

[​IMG]
    The inside of the caseback. I've read that some of these could be from times it has been serviced, but I am not sure.

[​IMG]
    Movement.

[​IMG]
    And a wrist shot.

Thank you so much for any information, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading here the past few days.

jardine000 likes this.
  2. pmontoyap Apr 3, 2018

Hi Molko,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on choosing an Omega as yor first vintage watch. Looks nice on your wrist.

What you have there is an Omega created by Norman Morris cased in the US with a swiss movement. You can tell this by the markings inisde the caseback. Swiss made Omegas will usually have a single reference stamped in smaller numbers.

Its a nice watch but if there is no sentimental value (as in a valued family heirloom) I would think it twice before investing $110-150 it could take to service, and add at least 40 to that to change the crystal and crown. The hands also seem to be replacements.

If its keeping usable time, althought not recommended, I would use it as is, just add the strap of your liking. And ask around for service quotes, if you do have it serviced they cab probably buff the crystal for free.

Enjoy your new Omega

Dan S, Molko and jardine000 like this.
  3. Molko Apr 4, 2018

Thank you so much for your reply. I just read up about Norman Morris, so interesting. It’s not an heirloom, but I am already attached to it. I’ll probably look into getting at least the crystal replaced :)

4. watch_nut Apr 4, 2018

Hi Molko,

Congrats on your new watch. I agree 100% with what pmontoyap said. It is often not worth investing so much in this kind of pieces. If you like it as is and are enjoying it i suggest just getting the crystal replaced it will make a huge difference. Omega's are great watches you will definitely enjoy this one.

Molko likes this.
  5. Molko Apr 4, 2018

Thank you so much! Will do. I am enjoying it quite a bit. :)

6. kreyke Apr 4, 2018

Seems like it won't be your last vintage watch. Welcome to the dark side..;)

Molko likes this.
  7. Starman71 Apr 4, 2018

Welcome, and nice post with pictures included! You’ve clearly been reading before posting. I have a similar style from my grandpa in 1968. 3C659A16-815D-4D7C-A663-B67F57D62B4E.jpeg

Molko likes this.
  8. doddy Apr 5, 2018

Any thoughts?
    This has different numerical number models 20180331_154222.jpg

9. Molko Apr 5, 2018

You are certainly right about that! Thanks :)

10. Molko Apr 5, 2018

I lurked a few days before posting haha. That is truly a beautiful watch, with the kind of history you just can't buy. Awesome, makes me wish any of my ancestors were watch collectors.

Starman71 likes this.
  11. Fugukraken Apr 14, 2018

Every watch dealer I've dealt with, and even my own watchsmith, says to service watches only if they're not keeping time or they're obviously broken (bent stem, for example).

Etchings on the caseback are usually servicing dates, but I can't make heads or tails of those (J-May 1967-C and EL-June 1974-C) with the alphabets being initials, perhaps??

And, yes, it looks stunning.

12. Edward53 Apr 14, 2018

::popcorn::

Toishome likes this.
  13. Lucasssssss Apr 14, 2018

::popcorn:: @Archer ?

Toishome likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 14, 2018

I would look for a different watchmaker...

15. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 14, 2018

To me, it is a small watch with thin gold plated American case which has been worn out at many places. The hands are wrong and a bit short, caliber 570 is a small movement and not an Omega famous one.
    Enjoy it as it is and don't spend any more money on it.

Molko likes this.
  16. chipsotoole Apr 14, 2018

Despite it's shortcomings I really quite like. The movement is better than a lot I've seen of this era . Before you go swapping out the crystal. Buy a wee tube of polywatch and see if you can buff out the scratches. I find best results when putting it on a lint free fibre cloth on the table and then rubbing the watch over it.
    If you're feeling brave, you tube about removing the crown and stem (carefully!! half turn at a time) and remove the movement..i think quite a few marks and some of the crap on the dial MIGHT just gently brush off with a small dry paintbrush...no cleaners or fluids of any kind!! ).
    Welcome to the start of many long hours looking at vintage watches!!

Molko likes this.
  17. ulackfocus Apr 14, 2018

Yes, and don't bother with maintenance on your car's engine until it stops running. :unsure: ::facepalm2::

Edward53 and Molko like this.
  18. Molko Apr 14, 2018

Believe me, I’ve done nothing more than look at beautiful watches on here since buying it haha. I’ve already sent it to TM Watch for a servicing and a new crystal/correct hands, I will keep the polywatch trick in mind for the future though. I know some here will think servicing it is a misuse of funds. I really like the watch and I’m keeping it, so it is worth it to me. :)

19. gostang9 Apr 14, 2018

I recently bought my first vintage watch and took it to a watchmaker for servicing. I know the total money I will have put into it will exceed what I can sell it for but I don’t care. So many examples where people spend money with no monetary ‘return’ ($200 per month for cable tv... where’s the return there?). ;)

alan davis and Molko like this.
  20. Molko May 20, 2018

Just an update: I recently got it back from TM Watch and I am absolutely in love. I'm using Tanner's photo. It is running like a dream (more loudly than any of my non-vintage pieces! haha)
    I am happy that my "n00b tax" watch was a good buy in my book. :)
    32983262_10155601559396868_2325692179097321472_n.jpg