Advice for first Constellation (168.005)

Hey Guys,

i hope you doing well. I'm still busy searching and have now found another Constellation that I like very much. It is a 168.004 in solid gold (18K). The price is a little under $3000 all in, but for a solid gold Constellation. At first glance, it almost looks too good for me, especially the back seems to be in very good condition. The only thing that caught my eye was the crown, it's probably not the original one that disappears into the case. What do you say to that? Does everything fit?

Best regards
Paul

All looks fine, but ask for better pictures. It’s hard to see the dial clearly there. I can tell it is a clean watch, and the fonts look correct, but I think there might be some slight spotting which is hidden by the poor photos. Also obviously this is a .004 which is not as valuable as .005 - I think the price is fairly high in this case.

Definitely the wrong crown.
You would get better responses if you were to start a new thread for each prospective watch.

I would want to see a picture of underneath the dial to be sure that is an 18K gold dial. It should be.

Crown is a modern replacement.

A very nice watch, but price rather high for what you getting, IMO.
gatorcpa

I would want to see a picture of underneath the dial to be sure that is an 18K gold dial. It should be.

Crown is a modern replacement.

A very nice watch, but price rather high for what you getting, IMO.
gatorcpa

Here are some pictures of the back of the dial.

Also here are some more photos of the dial:

What do you think? What would you say could be a "fair" price for a 168.004 in this condition?

Best regards
Paul

The dial has an 18K gold hallmark. Very good.

However, I would be concerned about the crown. It looks too large for the opening in the case.

The question is whether whoever replaced it also replaced the stem with a matching one for that case style. If not, then the winding, hand setting and quick date functions (if a Cal. 564) may not work properly.

gatorcpa

It’s a handsome watch @Paul_803.
The actual reference is a 168.014 Deluxe Constellation.
The crown is a replacement crown but I think the ‘correct’ one still available from Omega.
It does look snug in the case but I also think the stem is too long as the crown should sit nearer the case.
The dial looks absolutely correct - hidden crown pie pans tend to have the minute haches hard-up against the pie-pan edge, like this.
The movt is a cal 561 semi-quickset date.

Unfortunately, the case has been over-polished for my liking, which is often the case with 18k watches.
The bezel is almost round in places and the facets have pretty much gone from the lugs.
A really mint 18k hidden crown Deluxe Connie might reasonably command $3,000 but that is collector-grade and I don’t think this is.
Personally, I’d like to see this watch nearer $2,000 than $3,000.
However, cost often depends on whose selling and value to you depends on what you want from a watch.

Here is a pic of a SS .004 to compare the facets on the bezel and lugs.

It is a nice watch to my eyes, but I agree that it definitely has been over polished : having said that, it all depends on the buyer's targets : have a go for one in pristine condition which this one is not, or just go for a nice looking vintage watch, which also makes sense ; the difference must be reflected in the price.

Hello dear members,

I was able to bring the price of the watch down a fair bit and have now received it. Beautiful watch! I'm glad I finally found what I was looking for after months of searching. I am more than happy with the watch. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me in my search. Here are a few more photos:

Greetings
Paul

I hope to find my dream watch before my wedding in July.
Well done on your nice 168.014, but... congratulations on the wedding! How did it go? 🍿

Well done on your nice 168.014, but... congratulations on the wedding! How did it go? 🍿

Thank you! Our wedding was awesome, thanks for asking. I was wearing my Aqua Terra though as I only received the Constellation a few days ago. 😁