Advice for first Constellation (168.005)

And if you don’t like the discoloration, a gentle swipe with a gold cloth will take care of that. Personally, I don’t remove it. It’s a beautiful way of aging in my book and a great sign a watch hasn’t been polished in a while. Here’s a rather stark example of what discoloration of gold can look like:

It’s a beautiful way of aging in my book and a great sign a watch hasn’t been polished in a while.
I know some guys used ammonia ( from unrine) to tanish gold/ gold capped cases to give them a vintage look. (a few day process).
Don' t ask me how. :whipped:

And if you don’t like the discoloration, a gentle swipe with a gold cloth will take care of that. Personally, I don’t remove it. It’s a beautiful way of aging in my book and a great sign a watch hasn’t been polished in a while. Here’s a rather stark example of what discoloration of gold can look like:
OK but my point was not the discoloration, but a possible difference in the initial color of the gold in 14k vs 18k : I have often found that on jewelry the 14k was less yellow, but it obviously depends on what it is alloyed with, probably differing from one country to another.

I have 14K and 18K watches. No difference in color.
Actually, I can tell the difference.

Actually, I can tell the difference.
There may be a difference for Omega, but I suspect that answer is different for each case reference.
gatorcpa

Obviously the closer the purity, the less variance but there certainly is a colour difference between different gold carats. It’s quite obvious between 9ct and 18ct as 18 is more ‘gold’ looking. 9ct is duller, less lustre and with a brass/copper tone.

I find that there are many different tones of both 14k and 18k gold, so it would certainly be very difficult for me to determine the gold composition by color alone.

It’s certainly possible, even with different metals making up the mix. However, I say this as someone who comes from a family of jewellers so grew up seeing gold jewellery every day.

Perhaps it’s like a person who owns two dogs of the same breed. Most people can’t tell them apart but to the owner, it’s crystal clear.

@TheGreekPhysique : stunning piece ! A gold capped I believe ? can you indicate the exact case ref , year and movement please ? That is truly one of my top 3 Pie Pan models !! I must have one ! 🥰🥰

can you indicate the exact case ref , year and movement please ?
I guess
Ref 14902. 561. 1960.

Correct. I have to check the paperwork but I believe the year is a 1962.
smashing ! what I thought, but better to get the info 1st hand ! thanks ! I put it on my hunting list.

Hello Guys,

what do you think about the following one?

The price is very good for a Constellation here. The seller says it works fine.
What do you think about it?

Greetings
Paul

Yes, IMO also, redial : cross hair lines are thick - minutes indices ...