Forums Latest Members

Advice for buying a Patek Philippe

1. roryoc11 Mar 24, 2018

Hello all,

Not a WTB - I have been tasked with finding a PP for my dad who has decided after 60 odd years he wants his first watch. His requirement is either SS, WG or platinum and a 40mm+ case size. He is open on budget but would prefer to buy second hand.

I was wondering if other members have bought PPs second hand, and if so was it through a dealer / private sale / auction? Most of the private sales I have seen on watchrecon tend to be in the US ( we are UK based). Or is PP a brand that should just be bought through OBs?

Cheers,

Rory

2. 77deluxe Mar 24, 2018

Private seller or used dealer is ok so long as the seller is reputable. Make sure you check them out, obviously.

3. MaiLollo Mar 24, 2018

What kind of patek is he after ? Apart from a white metal, does he want a chrono, a complicated piece, an annual calendar, calatrava, etc. ?
    It will help you go with the most appropriate channel: you can't get a 5204P the same way you'd get a SS aquanaut...

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 24, 2018

PP makes 40mm plus watches that are not grand Complications? Or on the higher end? Current Catalog puts all watches 40mm or larger in the 40k usd plus price range to start.

Historically PP has not made watches that big unless they are on the upper end of the range with high end complications. Classic 3 handers tend to be more traditionally sized.

Which style and what is the budget? That’s a better place to start.

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 24, 2018

Just my 2Cs...If Dad's going to wear it everyday then maybe a SS Nautilus is best.
    Still plenty good looking even under a dress shirt. After all: A Patek is a Patek :)

6. roryoc11 Mar 24, 2018

Hi all thanks for your responses.

@MaiLollo This is the problem he has only ruled out the Nautilius by its shape and I presume he wont want the Aquanaut either. I personally want him to get a Nautilus! He has also ruled out the calatrava based on the 40mm+ criteria. So it realistically leaves a larger complication or chronograph piece.

@Foo2rama he is more keen to get a deal rather than setting a budget- he is difficult to say the least! . I reckon 40k-80k is the range.

@MikiJ I have suggested it 5 times but no luck, ill keep going!!

7. chunkythebulldog Mar 24, 2018

First port of call should be an AD, no point in your Dad setting his heart on a 5711 to find that there’s a 5+ year waiting list. Most of Pateks sports models (Nautilus & Aquanaut) are easier to get hold of in PM than St St so he needs to decide what he wants and then see if he can get hold of it.
    ....... and as a thread is of no use without pictures here’s a 5712 and a 5524.

4FEE72E1-0FD8-4A7A-92EF-24D07B4EAAD0.jpeg E6BC9190-A74C-4074-BF1F-B3E67A55B415.jpeg

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 24, 2018

+1 on the AD. This is a big purchase. You and your dad need to really feel comfortable before pulling the trigger. May I also suggest A Lange & Sonne, Vacheron Constantine..In your consideration set as well.

9. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 24, 2018

Hard to believe I've owned and enjoyed both a few VCs and a couple of Langes in addition to more than a few Pateks. IMHO Langes, especially their new 40mm 1815 power reserves are finished as well as Pateks. Now that VC has gone back to their own in-house movements, they make some beautifully finished 40mm timepieces, especially their manual winders and beautifully finished movements as well. God bless your Dad as it's "only paper" when it comes to a budget for his watch :)

George.A and Larry S like this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 24, 2018

Pick the watch that speaks to him then try and source it. At the range your looking at there are different options for different pieces.

As others have said go to a Patek Boutique and see what he likes on wrist a short flight and a day or 2 at a hotel is inconsequential at the price range. Then go and hunt the watch.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 24, 2018

I'm hearing something else in this narrative and you are asking for advice ... So I need to ask,,,,Does HE want this watch? or.... Do YOU want this watch? I'm afraid there is no such thing as "Getting A Good Deal" on a Patek that's worth owning. What does that even mean? New or used these are in high demand and the ultimate irrational purchase. You buy a Patek because you want a Patek. If he's going to feel intimidated by wearing it or unhappy that he spent so much and this sits in a safe or worse at the bank what was the point? [/QUOTE]

DManzaluni, marco, haqq777 and 4 others like this.
  12. roryoc11 Mar 24, 2018

I should have put in a caveat. I have been a wis for 2 years and known him for 25, and can't understand the rational. Some of you have been a wis for 25 years and don't know him at all so definitely won't.

The first thing that came to mind was a A Lange as they can be fairly big size wise and every bit impressive as a PP - especially since he didn't want one of the instantly recognisable PP sport models.

@Foo2rama the problem is he wants me to hit the hunt phase - he isn't too bothered around model- I have narrowed it down to 4-5 I'm looking for. What I'm trying to work out is if there is collectors selling them or is the best bet an auction house, or ad.

@Larry S its him that wants a 'PP'. I would love him to get a nautilus or aquanaut- I love the brushed cases. I find some of the complicated ones not attractive but that's what he wants. I mean I have seen a good few for sale in the states slightly under MSRP so was wondering if there is a similar amount in Europe and how to find them.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 24, 2018

Well the 5 models your hunting might be a good place to start on how to source one.

What has your research shown? PP at that range tend to not depreciate that much. Some models might be available at an AD at discount comparable to used pieces.

Over seas purchase in the US and fly to pick it up might offset VAT.

Larry S likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Mar 24, 2018

That’s the attitude that’s going to get him scammed. :eek:

kkt, connieseamaster, nickw and 5 others like this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 24, 2018

I'm thinking @roryoc11 that this is a quixotic quest you are undertaking and were I your dad, I'd be a whole lot more invested in this process than he appears to be for this kind of cash. Just sayin.....

Reddy_Kilowatt likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Mar 24, 2018

Govberg’s often has preowned high end watches.

marco and Larry S like this.
  17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 24, 2018

David Duggan watches was recommended to me by Mappin & Webb when I was looking for an obsolete VC so I guess they must have a good reputation.
    https://www.daviddugganwatches.co.uk/preowned-luxury-watches/patek-philippe/

I didn’t use them in the end so I can’t comment from a personal point of view but as has been said above, good deal and Patek are not often seen in the same sentence.

Larry S likes this.
  18. MaiLollo Mar 24, 2018

marco, dscoogs, MikiJ and 1 other person like this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 24, 2018

In rose gold.

20. dscoogs Mar 24, 2018

Gbhulk, KingCrouchy, ag986 and 6 others like this.