Forums Latest Members
  1. karrento Jul 17, 2015

Hi!
    I'm very new to buying watches and now I have finally decided to take my first careful step into becoming a watch owner. I have researched a lot of watches and found that a 70s-80s Omega Seamaster Cosmic 2000 would be the one that would fit myself and my budget best. I'm looking for something to wear on a daily basis. But it seems to be a jungle out there and I'm scared of ending up with a counterfeit watch. So I kindly ask you guys, who seem to have a lot of experience with Omega watches, which one of these two looks like the better deal (or are they completely fake)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-AUTOM...574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419409f44ePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OME...917?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c560806e5Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Johan

2. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 17, 2015

Hey Johan

I would not buy any of them. The first from a Slovenian seller is completely fake. The second one from Hong Kong looks like a correct Cosmic (but wrong crown as far as I can tell) but there is something with the ref. no. on the caseback. It should be for a gold capped one from what I can tell on the Omega watch database. Not entirely sure tough.

I would wait for a better one

3. gerza Jul 17, 2015

Hi, I am "stealing" the topic...

What do you guys think about this two watches:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-SEA...634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1a025522f2Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.de/itm/OMEGA-GENEVE...79?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item4d334c1027Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

As you can see, this is the style of a watch I like the most.

Thank you for the advice in advance!

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 17, 2015

1st one is a total redial. Avoid.

2nd one looks original, but price is absurd.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Edited by a mod Jun 1, 2023
  5. karrento Jul 17, 2015

Great advise, thanks a lot!

6. gerza Jul 18, 2015

Thank you for your help, gatorcpa!

What do you think should be the max. price for the 2. watch?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 18, 2015

I'd say $700 to $800 here in the U.S. Translate that to Euros and add your local VAT.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

8. gerza Jul 28, 2015

9. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Jul 28, 2015

For your very first watch, I wouldn't pick Omega unless you can afford to buy a new one. Find an "off brand" that is decent, have the watch serviced, and see how you like it... while you save up.

An Elgin, Waltham, or Hamilton from the era where they used Swiss movements are practically free, for example. Find something in stellar condition, have it serviced by someone who will actually adjust the movement as good as it can be. You'll have the happiness of a decent mechanical watch, and you can save up for an Omega.

Other good brands that are nearly free, Bulova, Benrus, Caravelle, Mido... the list goes on.

Tom

10. Davidt Jul 28, 2015

To get an idea of price, first do plenty of research to help you decide which model(s) you're interested in. Find out the ref number and do plenty of reading, starting with searching through old threads and for sale listings here.

It'll give you much better idea of what's right and wrong for the reference. Once you can narrow things down further and offer some initial thoughts of your own, you'll get much better feedback from members.

11. gerza Jul 28, 2015

Thanks for the replies, it would be my first Omega watch, not a first watch. :) And yes I can afford an expensive watch. I see it also in the light of a good investment.

12. gerza Jul 29, 2015

I was just curious what you guys think about the price, if it is fair. I don't have any experience in buying watches, but like that particular one a lot. Thanks a lot for advice in advance.