Forums Latest Members
  1. greyhoundgeneve Mar 8, 2016

First post here and I don't have any photos. Struggling with what to get husband for his 40th I thought I would get his granddad's Geneve restored for him. It's a mechanical stainless steel Geneve with the original mesh strap. I know that the strap only just does up around his wrist and that is only had a possible couple of mm extension in the original bracelet. I've sent off to STS (Swiss tome services) and received the estimate (£450 for the service as expected) but they cant extend the bracelet so am looking at £306 for a new one......this is pushing the job lover the top of affordable for me so I'm wondering do I just go for the restoration of current watch with existing bracelet or walk away - and struggle to come up with another 40th present!!

2. greyhoundgeneve Mar 8, 2016

apologies for typos!

3. tyrantlizardrex Mar 8, 2016

Hello!

What a lovely idea for a present.

Does it have the same mesh strap as in the picture I've attached?

These go up to about 8.5inches full extended - if that's too tight, maybe ask STS about a long/extra long black calf skin strap with buckle, as that will be considerably cheaper than buying a metal bracelet.

You could also go for an aftermarket strap from someone like Hirsch, who offer up to XXL in some styles.

Cheers

Chris

image.jpeg
    Ravineman likes this.
  4. greyhoundgeneve Mar 8, 2016

thanks Chris - yes I know he would really appreciate it but this restoration business isn't cheap is it?! Yes the strap looks like yours. STS advised to measure bracelet of one of his watches in paper and send along with the watch and it seems it can't be extended which is a shame as it was the strap worn by his grandfather. I'm not overly surprised as there didn't seem to be much more extend available. A calf skin would look good on it I think. Black with stainless steel?

5. tyrantlizardrex Mar 8, 2016

No problem!

It's worth getting them to clean up the mesh whilst they're doing the service, and keep it with the watch.

Black calf skin with a stainless buckle would look good - and be something that was available with the watch when new (not the same, but similar style).

greyhoundgeneve likes this.
  6. greyhoundgeneve Mar 8, 2016

I will look into it thanks. Will post some photos when it's done

tyrantlizardrex likes this.