Forums Latest Members

Adjusting watch to different positions

1. Sinnyone Jan 22, 2021

I understand the basic concept of adjusting a watch to different positions, or that is what the manufacturer suggests. My questions is, how do they adjust it when there is only one regulator point on the watch? If they adjust it to say horizontal, then turn it vertical, and then adjust again, they would just throw off the first adjustment. Can someone explain that to me please. Thx
    Sinny

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 22, 2021

Adjusting is not the same as regulating...

The regulator is for regulating, and is there simply to move the average rate, and moving it really isn't involved in adjusting for positions.

Adjusting for positions is about reducing the spread of rates across the positions measured. This is accomplished by manipulating the balance spring (centering, flatness, concentricity of coils, shape of the regulating area is equipped), the spacing of regulating pins if equipped, how the balance spring is centered in those pins, dynamic poising, etc.

[​IMG]

This illustrates the idea well. Adjusting is making the group size as small as possible as in the upper right image, and once you do that regulating is moving the sight to make the group in the center, like the lower right image.

Cheers, Al