Forums Latest Members

Adding Patina, another Speedmaster dial experiment..

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 24, 2014

My sister did the same.

2. michael e Still learning. Nov 24, 2014

I have never seen a convincing force manufactured tropical speedmaster dial yet, I have seen ones with aged lume which has been either put in the oven or that have a applied substance that mimics radium/tritium, I have done it myself but always tell the truth :D

I have not seen the black paint changed in colour to anything even near brown or what I would call tropical by anyone yet.
    I might not be getting the gist of things here, are people actually thinking that real brown/tropical dials don't exist? I have had a few in my time and know that they exist without the intervention of a money greedy dealer cobbling away in the back of his shop.
    Believe people! ;)

3. mozambique Nov 24, 2014

I don't think anyone is suggesting that all tropical dials are fakes, rather it is interesting (or vomit-inducing) to consider the possibility of how/if nefarious characters may be screwing with us

4. mozambique Nov 24, 2014

Sisters baking watches in the oven..............I only remember fairy cakes :)

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 24, 2014

6. photo500 Nov 24, 2014

Haha, thankfully no. That would have gone in the bin. Sad thing is, it was probably a nice original dial in good condition before it got nuked.

7. photo500 Nov 24, 2014

Very interesting how many here have tried this. Now imagine how many DEALERS have tried it [emoji13]

8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 24, 2014

So, the question is, can the appearance of this dial be replicated?

9. photo500 Nov 25, 2014

Don't know Space, I'll keep tinkering until I can answer that. Next step is to have paint from several dials including natural browns tested to see what is going on in the chemical structure. Plus I'm not in to outright destroying stuff for fun which is what cooking a dial at probably a few hundred degree's would be doing ;)

For those who don't see brown in this dial or any of the others, sure its hard to tell from the photos. The cooked ones definitely go brown, this one is too but like a lot of such things its subtle. I could turn up the saturation on the image but haven't. To me there is an obvious colour change. I agree that it isn't like a true chocolate dial (milk or otherwise lol). Just as with so many things, we might not have seen it done but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

10. mozambique Nov 30, 2014

11. Fretworker Dec 1, 2014

In the late 80s early 90s there was a move towards "relic-ing" guitars for a "played in played out" feel in preference to the brand new pristine feel of an instrument off the production line - the price of vintage instruments was beginning to take off in a big way and the price of cheaper imports from the Far East made the experiment less costly. The initial results were fairly amateurish, but it didn't take too long before respectable luthiers were joining in and producing some very authentic looking pieces for high profile players as workhorse replacements for their more valuable instruments. These were becoming too pricey to take out and gig and - to be fair after some 40 or 50 years even solids get fragile, some of them just worn out completely. The major manufacturers responded to what was initially a niche market and Fender introduced its own "relic" series from the Custom Shop. Now relics feature as standard catalogue instruments. Some relic guitars are now virtually indistinguishable from the real thing and in the wrong hands could command the same price as an original.

Anybody fancy asking Omega and Rolex to do likewise? :whistling:

12. photo500 Dec 1, 2014

13. photo500 Dec 1, 2014

Interesting, brands like U-Boat already do this with some of the U42 Unicum range. In some small way Omega is already doing this too, the luminous on the new SM300 has a vintage colour to it. In some ways I think it may actually be harder to make a watch look aged and authentic than it is to make it look perfect.

[​IMG]

Fretworker likes this.
  14. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Dec 1, 2014

I am not an expert, but isn't this also done with just regular production guitars? I'm thinking about the road worn series from Fender.

15. toddmp Dec 1, 2014

looks great. would sport this on my 861 if I had to replace the dial.

16. mozambique Dec 2, 2014

Looks like someone spilled coffee on it.........

17. photo500 Dec 4, 2014

Yeah lol you pay extra for a that [emoji12]

18. TheGreatKat Jun 6, 2022

Anyone has those pictures??? I'm curious what could be done in that matter.