Forums Latest Members

AD vs Web for a new OMEGA (Not a question of authenticity)

1. Maximus84 Nov 1, 2014

Hello all,

After months of waiting, I'm finally in a position to buy my first new Omega (I have a vintage Constellation that was my Grandfathers also). It is to be a 30th birthday present.

I have seen a few in a couple of ADs that I like (settled for a new Speedy racing, black dial, bracelet 326.30.40.50.01.001), but they are obviously at RRP. I have seen the same watch at a couple of websites for considerably cheaper (not grey market, sourced from ADs).

Assuming I can negotiate a similar price with an AD to match the website, which would you go for? Is the experience of buying face-to-face at an AD worth it? Any problems with buying a 'display' model in a shop versus a fresh in box watch despatched from a website?

A little voice in my head is being a bit impatient if I'm honest as well - if I order from web now, it'll (hopefully) be here in time for my birthday, and a few occasions I'd like to wear it at. If I wait to visit an AD (nearest one with them in stock is 1.5hrs away) and they. Don't come up trumps, I'm left waiting with a delay to delivery. I also like the idea that 'new' is just that, worn by only me from the start, not tried on by hundreds of potential customers and left in the harsh lights of a display cabinet!

Thanks for sticking with me - I'm aware there's no real right or wrong answer, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions as avid watch enthusiasts. Thanks.

2. jeffgo888 Nov 2, 2014

If you can negotiate the same price with an AD. .by all means yes. I would go that route. Nothing beats the warranty. Please do your due diligence and shop around. I managed to buy my new Speedy Pro at a very good discount just by tough negotiation with an out of State AD.

3. alam Nov 2, 2014

Check, recheck and check again that the web dealer has the watch on hand and ready to ship once payment is received. Many web dealers are known for taking the money before getting the watch from their source-this could cause delayed shipping or just refunding the payment for "non availability". I have bought from gray dealers, but in face-to-face deals.

4. Maximus84 Nov 2, 2014

Thanks for the replies. The site in question states the watches are sourced from an AD and come with full international manufacturers warranty. However, for the model I'm after, delivery is 10-20 days from placing the order. This leads me to believe it could be the situation you describe above, alam.

5. ulackfocus Nov 2, 2014

The internet dealer can "state" whatever they want. The fact is grey market internet watches DO NOT come with the manufacturer's warranty in most cases - they give an equivalent length warranty with their own terms and repair facility. Sometimes these watches are even returns and refinished pieces.

6. Maximus84 Nov 2, 2014

Interesting. A direct quote from the website "Every watch is brand new and sourced from an authorised dealer supplied with the official manufacturer's international warranty. "

This, and the many reviews/testimonials I've seen on other sites leads me to believe all is genuine. In any case, I'm going to try out my negotiating skills at an AD tomorrow and see what they can offer.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 3, 2014

I think if the situation is that the warranty card is signed and dated from a real AD, then it would have a real manufacturer warranty. How would the manufacturer know that you bought it from a third party? This is no different than buying a used watch from a private person that still has manufacturer warranty left on it.

It's true that many of these sites do not have manufacturer's warranties, and provide their own warranty, but I can see a situation where they could provide the manufacturer's warranty - you would just have to make sure of this before you buy.

Cheers, Al

8. Maximus84 Nov 3, 2014

I believe it is a fully stamped and dated Warranty card - this is something I would check and be fully aware of prior to any purchase.

I went into an AD today and the best discount I could get was 15%. This would mean that buying from the dealer would be £164 more expensive. Worth it for the 100% peace of mind (versus the 80% I have for the Web seller)? I'm not sure.

To make matters worse, I also tried on A Speedy pro (the new, long ref no. With the fancy box and extra goodies). I'm now struggling to decide on which one to get! Not impressed that the new ref is nearly £500 dearer than the previous one though!

9. bill5959 Nov 3, 2014

Personally I don't think the new goodies costing US$500 in the new kit is worth it. You should decide how you want to keep this watch. Boxes add value if you keep them with all tags etc. But you will be 50 before that makes a difference. :) Welcome and wear it in good health, wherever it comes from. regards, Bill

10. cristos71 Nov 3, 2014

For a difference of 164 UKP I would buy from an AD every time

11. Maximus84 Nov 3, 2014

Nope, I'm not too fussed about the extra stuff - I prefer the bracelet anyway so doubt I'll be changing the strap, and the eyepiece and paperweight? Not for me. I intend to wear and enjoy the watch for many years to come, and in time will become a sentimental item for future generations!

Thanks, that's what I'm thinking. It's not a huge difference considering the overall purchase price and the longevity of the item.

12. alam Nov 3, 2014

If you were to ask me, for such a difference in price, I'd go with the AD. BTW, I'd categorize my own peace of mind when dealing with internet dealers much lower than 80%.

13. ulackfocus Nov 3, 2014

I am. Without a doubt it's better to buy it locally at the AD for that small of a difference.

14. Maximus84 Nov 4, 2014

Thanks guys - given the AD can offer a reasonable discount I think I'll go with them (if they can source the watch I'm after). They're a local family run business as well - would much rather give them my hard-earned than a faceless website.

15. davidswiss Nov 6, 2014

This +1

16. Maximus84 Nov 13, 2014

OK, so the deal is this. For the same watch (311.30.42.30.01.006, sapphire sandwich Speedy Pro) I can either get it from an online seller, who has an actual shop and has sourced the watch from an AD, or direct from an AD. Both brand new and unworn. The one from the web has the manufacturers warranty dated 25/09/14. The AD would obviously have the full 2 year warranty.

The only difference, really, is price. Assuming I can negotiate a discount (of 15%, they've offered this to me before) from the AD the difference is likely to be around 211GBP. Is the extra £211 still worth going to the dealer for? I'm starting to stretch my budget with this watch now, and wouldn't want to pay more than is really necessary.

17. davidswiss Nov 13, 2014

AD will usually give a discount maybe not as cheap as the grey market guy but more important is the warranty and backup that an AD watch gives.

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 13, 2014

An omega boutique honored card for one of my gray deals. The benefits of a reputable gray deal are: no tax in most cases if out of state and 15 to 20% average discount often because gray dealers have no franchise fees. I have authenticated all gray and Internet purchases I've done. Never an issue. Is 1500 to 2000 average savings worth it? To me, yes, but not in all cases. Done care if I get a return of its in perfect condition and the buyer just Re thought his purchase or exchanged the model? Hell no! I have a great relationship with the omega and panerai boutiques in nyc, but u don't always buy from them.

19. alam Nov 13, 2014

If all your assumptions are right -identical watches in identical conditions, 15% discount from AD- and if you buy the watch in December, then you are paying £211 for three months of OEM warranty. I'd say the odds of this watch failing in the first 19 months of use are low. I'd could get a very nice bottle of scotch with £211!! and some fish and chips. :)

Edited Nov 13, 2014
  20. Maximus84 Nov 14, 2014

Well, I ended up going for the AD. They're local to me, and a family run business that's been going for well over 100 years. Yes they were a bit more expensive than buying from the web, but I'm happy that the service, and continued relationship will be worth a lot. I'lol be getting a brand new watch, direct from Omega with full warranty and happy that I can return should I have any problems.

For a watch that should last me decades, a couple of hundred quid isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.