Forums Latest Members

Accidentally left chronograph running on speedy 1863 movement

1. k12123 Oct 19, 2020

I started the timer earlier this morning and completely forgotten that it was on until about 6 hours later. Does it cause any harm to the movement?

Also, when I resetted it, it looks like the hour marker at the 6:00 subdial was a little to the left instead of being perfectly aligned in the middle at 12. When I ran it again afterwards for a few minutes, it looks like it went back to the 12:00 position. Is that normal?

Thanks!

Edited Oct 20, 2020
  2. Marsimaxam Oct 20, 2020

It is not an issue to leave the chronograph running for a period of 6 hours, it, does however, become an issue if you let the chronograph run continually as it will eventually run the oils dry and cause possible damage to parts.

In terms of the hour counter hand not resetting at 12 when you push the reset pusher, it's possible you didn't push the reset pusher all the way. If it continues to be a problem, you will need to have the watch serviced.

k12123 likes this.
  3. k12123 Oct 20, 2020

Yeah it was odd because when I was pressing the reset pusher, it felt softer than usual, kind of "spongy." Maybe I didn't press it all the way, but both the second and minute counter did reset. But regardless, after I ran it a second, third, fourth, even fifth time for a few minutes, it looks like the hour counter was back in the middle at 12:00.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 20, 2020

Please elucidate?

Mad Cow, mr_yossarian, Davidt and 6 others like this.
  5. nobbylon Oct 20, 2020

Not 100% but I do remember reading that 1 small part does wear if the chrono is left running. I do know that it uses more power than normal as I’ve tested mine numerous times, leaving it running over night. Normally it takes 14 turns but with chrono function left running it needs 18.

6. Bp1000 Oct 20, 2020

About the worse it can do is use more power.

It’s totally fine.

Thrasher36, ConElPueblo and RonH like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 20, 2020

Have used a chronograph to time a 18 hour flight many a time. It's a Speedmaster that's what they are for ...... Timing Things

Syrte, noelekal, Longbow and 13 others like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 20, 2020

You had a lucky escape there. Speedmasters have been known to become explosive when left running for 7 hours or more. Omega hushed it up but that is what actually happened to Apollo 13. They bought the Astronauts off with a Beagle puppy each. Oh the irony.

BareBodkin, chnzwh, abrod520 and 22 others like this.
  9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 20, 2020

My Snoopy stopped thread here we come....

Foo2rama, yande and Dor_42 like this.
  10. Knight4ADay Oct 20, 2020

The Speedmaster hour subdial goes up to 12 hours, doubt they would put that if it couldn't even handle 6.

Thrasher36, Lurk41, Tet and 1 other person like this.
  11. w@tcher Oct 20, 2020

I have tried to track 10 hours without any problem.

12. NT931 Oct 20, 2020

That was a close shave. You could've done serious damage to the space time Continuum. I'll leave the technical explanations to the good Doctor.

6a7eec3d08912658c79c1bc83ceb7411360895a8_00.gif

13. scubafan Oct 20, 2020

Ridiculous. Where have you taken this from?

Edited Oct 20, 2020
    Thrasher36 likes this.
  14. Marsimaxam Oct 20, 2020

It's what I've always understood and if I'm wrong, I am happy to be corrected. Could you please explain your position, thanks.

"But there are some things you want to consider before you leave the chronograph running.

A chronograph is a mechanical complication that needs the energy to operate. This energy is taken from the mainspring via an escapement. Leaving the chronograph means that the watch not only needs the energy to display the time but also to keep the chronograph running. This naturally means that if you do leave the chronograph running, the watch will run out of power faster. If you wear an automatic chronograph, you may not even notice this as the movement is wound by your wrist’s natural movements, but if you have a mechanical chronograph, you will notice that you have to wind it more often.

Another thing to consider with leaving the chronograph running is that since a chronograph is a mechanical function, it consists of lots of small parts. When the chronograph is engaged, these parts move, which naturally creates friction and wear on the parts. Now, the chronograph is built to be used, but similar to a car, the more you use it, the more frequently you will have to service it. The same goes for leaving the chronograph running. Leaving the chronograph running all the time will eventually run the oils dry and have wear and tear on certain friction parts that are subject to stress."

Source: https://millenarywatches.com/bad-le...ograph running all,that are subject to stress.

schoolboy likes this.
  15. Dan S Oct 20, 2020

The friction part is true, but other parts of the movement are experiencing similar friction whenever the watch is running. The "running the oils dry" part seems highly questionable to me.

Thrasher36 and Lurk41 like this.
  16. scubafan Oct 20, 2020

The watch moves at the rythm of the balance wheel, being the chronograph on or off. Stoppping the chrnonograph will not speed up the watch, nor it speed down if you start it. The only difference is that the watch needs more torque to move more parts so it eventually will stop a bit earlier because as the power charge of the mainspring decreases, at a point there will be no enough torque to move the chronograph hands.
    Referred to the oils, well, all watches need periodical service an oiling. If you come to a point where there is no oil and friction occurs, all the watch will tear up some parts, not only the chronograph. Cheers.

17. Lurk41 Oct 20, 2020

Agree. The friction and the wear on the chronograph part will be higher if run continuously. But it is not a problem for the oil or the rest of the movement (except the reduced power reserve as explained above).

Now, some chronographs are (were?) better equiped than other for continuous running...

I do not remember which caliber it was - only that it did not have a running second - but after a year or 2 of production, the manufacturer started to repair under warranty a lot of watches, without understanding why they had so much issues. Then they realized that a lot of people were using the chronograph second hand as a running second... The chronograph part was not mounted with jewels, so, this behavior caused a lot of unexpected wear. They added jewels to fix the issue.

18. Faz Oct 20, 2020

I let my chrono running like that and when I realized this, I had aged 50 years.

19. Lurk41 Oct 20, 2020

50 years without service? :eek:

Faz and Thrasher36 like this.
  20. vbrad26 Oct 20, 2020

Some days, OF got me like....

[​IMG]

Concer and Scarecrow Boat like this.