Forums Latest Members

About to buy an Omega Seamaster AT 220.10.38.20.03.001

1. alecuncu Oct 1, 2019

Hello members,

This will be my first time I'm considering buying a modern Omega. I normally only focus on the vintage pieces, but I really like the blue dial of the Seamaster AT 38.5mm.

I have the chance to buy this one (pictures below) for around EUR 3000. It looks good from the pictures and box and papers are included. It's from 2019 and new price would be EUR 5100. Why would it be offered at such a discount if it's from 2019? It would be a big purchase, so I'm being extra careful. Is there any way this specific watch could be a fake? Maybe an original box and papers, but a fake watch? Should I simply compare the serial on the watch with the serial on the papers?

I feel like I'm being paranoid, but better safe than sorry. Hope someone here can give me some pointers on what to look out for when buying from someone without any references.

Aqua 1.jpg aqua 2.jpg aqua 3.jpg aqua 4.jpg aqua 5.jpg aqua 6.jpg aqua 7.jpg aqua 8.jpg aqua 9.jpg aqua 10.jpg aqua 11.jpg aqua 12.jpg

Edited Oct 1, 2019
    watchos likes this.
  2. PhilF Oct 1, 2019

Not familiar with European pricing, but IMHO, I'd be cautious. That seems to be a real bargain? On a purchase from an unknown vendor a bit of paranoia is a good thing. Generally if something is priced below market, especially a desirable item, I'd do some comparables before jumping in. Confidence and peace of mind are necessary here. Nice choice though, seriously considered one of these before I got my SMP300 in blue. Perhaps check with some of the sellers here on the forum.

alecuncu likes this.
  3. alecuncu Oct 1, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. Appreciate it.

This particular serial number with the blue dial hasn't been offered for sale yet on the OF. Normally I would compare it to those prices, as they are usually the fairest. I compared it to Chrono24 and ebay, but not a lot of exact matches (because it's a new model?) and nothing that matches this price.

I'll wait to see if anyone else has any advice to give, before I make an official offer.

4. alecuncu Oct 1, 2019

P.S.: Any chance I could see a wrist shot of that beauty? :D

5. Martin_F Oct 1, 2019

I only found one for 3500 Euro, but no pictures in the ad. The sellers email address starts with glike......

Edited Oct 1, 2019
  6. PhilF Oct 1, 2019

Still working on how to post pictures, hopefully soon, old dog, new trick.

7. Slowpoker Oct 1, 2019

Under the message box you type your message into there's an option to "add photos".
    Simply add the photos; next to the photo there will be an option to insert.

Click that and you'll be set.

PhilF likes this.
  8. PhilF Oct 1, 2019

20191001_171800(0).jpg Ok, here goes here's my 210.30.42.20.03.001 Seamaster 300M. First attempt with the tablet. Interestingly, this specific model is showing "No longer available " on the Omega US website. I'll try to get some camera shots that are in better focus.

Edited Oct 1, 2019
    alecuncu and Slowpoker like this.
  9. percymon Oct 1, 2019

There are big street major watch and jewellery chains in the UK that will, on occasion , offer 20-30% off certain watch models, it’s pot luck whether it’s one you’re interested but offers do come along several times a year. It might be a slow selling model , a less popular dial colour for example.

An example..

https://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/9178236/omega+seamaster+aqua+terra+bracelet+watch/

Then there are the grey market sellers, who regularly offer 20-25% discount, sometimes more on certain brands.

alecuncu likes this.
  10. Slowpoker Oct 1, 2019

No major chain will offer 20-30% off unless it's a very unpopular model at sale. Think more around 10% for Ernest Jones if you call up their Manchester store (the Manchester store is the friendliest) and explain that you live far away.
    They'll be able to also send the watch to your door along with some Omega swag you could maybe sell on here or eBay for extra discount.

Grey dealers will for sure offer 20-30% just like that; examples are the friendly folk on our own OF sales area or WatchBuyersUK if you're after something closer to EU/UK.

Concerning the timepiece you've posted about, If its legit and has warranty then go for it 100%. You won't find better than €3k. Where did you find it and who's offering it?

Edited Oct 1, 2019
    alecuncu likes this.
  11. alecuncu Oct 2, 2019

That is gorgeous. I can see why you went with this one over an Aqua Terra. Thank you for sharing!

Edited Oct 2, 2019
    PhilF likes this.
  12. alecuncu Oct 2, 2019

It's being offered by someone on a website in my country which is sort of like ebay. Hence my skepticism. It has all the papers with warranty and box. Yours and @percymon 's feedback put my mind more at ease, so thank you. If I end up buying this piece, I'll share some nice wrist shots :)

13. Slowpoker Oct 2, 2019

Oh I see!

In that case I recommend using a credit card and/or perhaps even cash on collection, just to put your mind completely to ease.

Good luck with whatever choice you do end up making, it's a beautiful timepiece that'll serve anyone well for decades.

alecuncu likes this.
  14. alecuncu Oct 3, 2019

@Slowpoker @PhilF well, here it is :thumbsup:
    Just finished adjusting the bracelet, so the crystal is a tad bit smudged.
    20191003_225916.jpg

Nonsense, Eve, Qwertyqaz and 3 others like this.
  15. Slowpoker Oct 3, 2019

A truly Beautiful timepiece!

I've seen it in the flesh and pictures really don't do it justice!
    The blue shimmers so well and the deck patterning sets it apart from any other watch. One of the very best dial patterns in my opinion on any Omega.

I'm assuming you're buying it then?

alecuncu likes this.
  16. Omega-Q Oct 3, 2019

Nice pickup! I love the way it shines in the light...back and forth from black to a deep blue!

alecuncu likes this.
  17. PhilF Oct 3, 2019

Well done!, you bought the one I didn't. Primary reason I went with the 300m was the adjustable clasp, really liked everything else about the AT, color, 38mm size, appearance. The AT is a stunner hopefully it's a keeper for you. Now you need a Speedmaster to keep it company!

alecuncu likes this.
  18. alecuncu Oct 4, 2019

Couldn't be more true! When I saw it in front of me it looked so much better than in the pictures.
    Bought it yesterday. I love it!

One day perhaps haha. For now, my watch budget is spent. And well spent, if I say so myself. :p

19. Nonsense Oct 4, 2019

Congrats! My first thougt was that the price was too good to be true. Luckily I wasn't right.

EUR 3,000 is a bargain for this great watch. When I bought the same model 14 months ago uhrinstinkt.de was asking EUR 3,700. In the meantime their price increased to EUR 4,100.

Greg

alecuncu likes this.