Forums Latest Members
  1. Jack Alexander Apr 17, 2015

Hello guys,

I have finally been enticed by the omega speedmaster professional and it's beautiful design. I've read many threads relating to the various models, especially the threads dedicated to vintage speedmastrer. However I have decided to go with the 3570.500, one that doesn't have any patina on the dial. Although I do like the patina colorations that are on vintage models, even 1980s and 1990s, id however prefer to develop my own history with the watch.

My main question is relating to the cost of the 5370.500 in the 2nd hand market. I would prefer box/papers and obviously a decent condition piece.

So I've seen some prices from 2,500 USD to 3,500 USD, with not too much discerning differences between the actual watches (similar condition, year, no service history etc).

Should I be patient and wait for a cheap deal? Or is 2,500 USD a wise price to pay?

Cheers guys,

Jack

2. Shem Apr 17, 2015

Talk to Kringkily (George), a trusted seller here on the forums. He specializes in Speedmasters; he'll find you one that fits your needs and budget, and it'll be priced fairly.

Factors influencing the price include age of the watch, condition, whether it has box and papers, whether it was recently serviced*, and how quickly the seller is looking to move the watch. The key is to buy the seller, not the watch. Make sure you're dealing with someone you trust, like one of the trusted sellers here or a respected forum member with references, and that you're paying a fair price.

* Many people say "recently serviced," but that means different things to different people. If someone claims this, ask for documentation of the service to ensure that "recent" means what you think it does, that it was actually fully serviced, and that it was done by a reputable watchmaker.

3. Jack Alexander Apr 17, 2015

Thanks for the response Shem.

I have scouted the sales corner on the forums and have seen some of the reputable sellers past and recent posts. I suppose I am more asking the question of luck and patience. Should one wait for that perfect window of affordability and quality.

4. Flingit1200s Apr 17, 2015

Morning Jack. A couple months back I decided I wanted a 3570.50 for my first Omega. After watching a number of sales, I contacted George and told him what I was looking for and what I was willing to spend. He filled my request in a few days and the whole process went as smooth as butter. He sold me a great watch and when I am ready for my next Omega, he will be getting my order. Hope this helps.

John

Papa Legba and Jack Alexander like this.
  5. Jack Alexander Apr 17, 2015

Cheers for the response John!

6. Flingit1200s Apr 17, 2015

No worries Jack. Best of luck on your speedy hunt!

7. yinzerniner Apr 17, 2015

I think 2,500 for the modern 3570.50 with boxes and papers is possible, but will be very hard unless you're patient AND quick on the draw.
    What I mean by the above is not too many are going to be listed at or near that price point, but when they are you have to be vigilant in contacting the seller and looking to consummate a deal immediately. If you're more flexible on boxes and papers, which really only help if you'll be selling the piece down the line, then you can easily cut 10-15% from the price of the piece.
    Also, the "patina" on the dial of the earlier Speedmasters isn't only due to age, it's due to the radioactive Tritium lume decaying. The newer Speedmasters (from roughly 1998 on) got rid of the Tritium and switched to Superluminova, which depending on lighting is either white or very slightly green. The Superluminova will not get the "patina" or yellowed look as it ages.

Jack Alexander likes this.
  8. croll326 Dec 19, 2015

Subscribed. Looking to buy a 3570.50 or 3573.50