Forums Latest Members
  1. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 25, 2020

I know I’ve used the word 'faux' but this thread is, in part, an homage to @omegastar's original and very informative thread, 'About Omega buckles'.

I've been lucky enough to buy the odd vintage Omega that still has the original buckle. Most have been sold with a 'new leather strap', normally reflecting the seller’s taste rather than mine.

So, rather than carry on with a non-Omega buckle, I’ve looked for genuine Omega buckles. I always think that the strap looks better with one.

However, the asking price for the 'genuine Omega buckle's' is more than I want to spend so I now (fairly happily) spend a tenner on a faux buckle, where I need one.

Does anyone else?

I appreciate that any thread is better with photos, so here are some - real and faux.

D01DFCAA-5D9F-408A-ABD5-3D958E7C70E0.jpeg 0D117886-1E0F-4474-B70C-AD2C70D13ED2.jpeg

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Jun 25, 2020

I do have a smart mix of both, original and good repros, as well. Too many straps, impossible to fit an original buckle on all of them - prices are high and supply too low.

Spruce likes this.
  3. MRC Jun 25, 2020

I'll go along with this. My need was for a decent Heuer buckle although my only leather strap Omega still has its 1982 original. Somewhere (TM) I might still have the old 1969 Heuer buckle because I would have put it away when putting a bracelet on my first of that ilk and I never throw things like that away. Wherever it is there's a further 50 years of "stored" "might need it one day" items with it :whipped: Now the bad news: I have not just moved residence a few times since then but also moved between continents twice. It's amazing what gets mislaid under those circumstances.

Tell me where you find a buckle that isn't made of cheese and bears any resemblance to an original one for a ten spot?

Spruce likes this.
  4. ConElPueblo Jun 25, 2020

I don't find any joy in fake Omega buckles and would rather have a generic one. The one pictured in the OP, which is also the most common one, looks terrible too.

felsby likes this.
  5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 25, 2020

It's only for me, as the wearer/collector. People might look at the watch but who else looks at the strap or buckle?

6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jun 25, 2020

To be frank, four of the buckles in the two photos are fake.

7. MRC Jun 25, 2020

I meant the price. This Heuer repro, which is a pretty good one, cost me EUR100! My original buckle (if it still exists) was on the reverse-panda Carrera also in the photo. Apologies for the cheap (two bottles of wine) and nasty (until it went to Hong Kong) riveted Oyster bracelet.

P8200586m.JPG

8. SkunkPrince Jun 25, 2020

What is interesting, if you look at vintage ads, many straps of the early 50s and before did not come with a buckle that has an Omega symbol on it.

Spruce likes this.